Vegan Cookbooks discussion

Hello

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) Hi I'm Lindsey, and I have WAY too many cookbooks. Thank you to Lisa for inviting me here! I couldn't resist joining either. I'm sure we'll be having all sorts of fun and helpful discussions.

Jennifer, we'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about veganism!

message 2: by Monica (new)

Monica Hello! Thanks, Lisa, for telling me about this. I am not sure if this is a good idea for me because I really don't need any reason to fuel my vegan cookbook addiction. Speaking of, I just bought the Happy Herbivore and Viva Vegan. Has anyone made anything out of Viva Vegan that they'd like to recommend?

message 3: by Lindsey (last edited Mar 04, 2011 10:41AM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) Jennifer Same Difference Sarah smith wrote: "Lindsey wrote: "I want to know why do you not eat milk and cheese and if you are allergic to dairy and are a vegetarian you are basically mainly Vegan "

Good questions. Dairy cows often have worse lives than beef cows, and they're sent to slaughter when their bodies are worn out and can't produce anymore milk. Their babies are also taken from them almost immediately after birth, which they mourn over. Also, supporting the dairy industry supports the veal industry. That's just a brief answer off the top of my head. Here's a link with a bit more info, if you're interested: http://www.ivu.org/faq/eggsdairy.html I also personally avoid dairy because to me, it doesn't make sense for an adult to eat food meant for babies, especially babies of another species.

If someone is a vegetarian who doesn't eat dairy, they still might not be a vegan because they would also have to avoid eggs and any product that came from an animal like leather, wool, fur, and honey. Vegans avoid all animal and animal-derived products as much as humanly possible. A vegetarian who didn't eat dairy might be called a strict vegetarian, though, if their diet had no meat, dairy, eggs, or other animal products like chicken broth or gelatin.

message 4: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) Oh yes, anyone who is not vegan and is just curious is totally welcome here.

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) Thanks, Lisa, for letting me know about this group. I'm a very new vegan...at about 3 weeks....or maybe it has been 4. I have been very busy with school and sometimes loose track of time. I'm in a 9 month diploma program for Medical Billing and Coding, going 4 nights/week and will be graduating this June. It is so hard to find something to take for school to eat because we have very limited break room accommodations--only a microwave; no sink :(

I would like to find some simple things to put together where there is little preparation and can last me through my school week. I tried Amy's Soups for a week and burned out. I'm going to probably burn out with rice with veggies and some nuts I switched over to this past week.

I only have one cookbook right now. Please don't laugh: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Cooking. I hope that I will get some more wonderful suggestions for possible cookbooks to add to my collection as well as maybe some recipes. Sorry for the rambling.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (marycanady) | 2 comments Mod
Holy cow! Sorry I've been MMIA (moderator missing in action)!

I'm super busy at work right now, please let me know what I can do to help this group stay high quality and empower you to do what you'd like.

OK, head spinning. Lisa asked for more privileges but I see she's been able to do a lot.

Just tell me what to do and I'll do it!

Mary