Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive > RAFTS - Season 1

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (last edited Feb 24, 2011 02:17PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8678 comments Mod
“RAFTS” stands for Reading Authors For The Season. The idea behind this is that rafts (primitive ones, at least) are made of logs tied together - well, logs = books, book 1 + book 2 + ... + book x = a hopefully well-floated author.

The theme this First season revolves around this acronym:
authors who have published book/s (whether it be first or last) by the mid 20th Century

The time period is due to an approximate I have taken that this is when traditional / wooden rafts would lessened in used due to modern technology being readily available.

The Authors chosen are *drum rolls*
James A Michener - by Arlene
Mark Twain - by Lyn M

Please share below your reading plan (if any) and any recommendations on which books of the above authors the rest of us, noobs, should read first!

There will be separate threads to discuss each authors (2 threads each: with and without spoilers)

message 2: by Candiss (last edited Feb 26, 2011 05:42PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) What an interesting pair of authors!

I am going to start with one book by each author and build on those as I go. Oddly enough, my first choices are both non-fiction (or fact-based historical fiction) works by authors best known for their fictional novels.

For James A. Michener, I will start with Bridge at Andau. This is an account Michener wrote as a journalist of the 1956 Hungarian revolution against the Soviets and the subsequent quashing of that revolution and exodus of many Hungarians from their homeland. My father's family were all Hungary-born. (He was the first to be born in the US, and I am the first to have an ancestral mix from the other side of my family.) I am 50% Hungarian heritage, and I've wanted to read Michener's account of this brief period of history for years.

For Twain, I am going to begin with Joan of Arc. He considered this his best work, devoting 12 years to research and 2 years to writing it - contrasted with his better-known works of fiction, which he say required no research at all and so got none. I didn't realize he'd written this scholarly piece, and I'm very interested. The reviews here on Goodreads are very promising, and the book is available for free download here as an ebook in multiple formats.

Beyond those, I have no real plan.

Edit to add potential further reads:
Michener: Poland
Twain: Tales of Wonder (science fiction stories)

message 3: by LynnB (last edited Feb 24, 2011 04:13PM) (new)

LynnB | 1645 comments I agree! An interesting pair of authors.

I am going to start with Chesapeake by Michener and both The Mysterious Stranger and The Prince and the Pauper by Twain. Not sure what I'll read after that.

message 4: by Dee (last edited Feb 25, 2011 11:09AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments hmmm, i think i'm going to start with Caravans: A Novel of Afghanistan by Mitchner (because its the only one of his books available on kindle) and probably The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Twain (because i've sorely neglected my education over the years and never read it - not required in Australia)

ETA - picked up the audio version of huck finn today from the library - will start it on my commute into work - i find with classics i do better listening than reading (who knows why)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2827 comments Mod
Michner is one of my faves! Good pick Arlene! I have read almost everything by him and my favorites are : Hawaii, Centennial, Alaska, and Tales of the South Pacific although all of them are good.

As for my pick of Twain - my favorite of all time is The Innocents Abroad: or, The New Pilgrims' Progress, although anything by him is good in my book.

As for my reading plan, I am going to start with a re-read of Tales of the South Pacific and try to fit in Caribbean. We will see where it goes from there.

For Twain I am going to go with Joan of Arc, The Prince and the Pauper, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Candiss wrote: "What an interesting pair of authors!

I am going to start with one book by each author and build on those as I go. Oddly enough, my first choices are both non-fiction (or fact-based historical fic..."

Great choice, Candiss. I will be reading this one, too.

message 7: by Tien (new)

Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "hmmm, i think i'm going to start with Caravans: A Novel of Afghanistan by Mitchner (because its the only one of his books available on kindle) and probably [book:The Adventures of Huck..."

I did Huck Finn in yr 10 and I remember we had to make some short trailer of it for our English class & I (with absolutely awful accent) was Jim (I think... it was a while ago - 15 yrs maybe? oh dear...)

I'd like to pick it up for a re-read cuz I don't think I've read it since then! Joan of Arc sounds interesting too! I'll start with those, I think...

I've gotta see what's available in my libraries for Michener...

message 8: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) I am going to read The Source for my Michner pick as it is one of the few of his I haven't read and I know NOTHING about the history of that part of the world. I really should seeing as how that area is always in the news and has great bearing on my life in the US these days.

For Twain I think I will read The Prince and the Pauper so that I can get credit for some other challenges I am involved in.

I would highly reccomend Centennial and The Covenant as Michner reads for anyone who hasn't read those yet.

message 9: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Not sure what I'll read for Michener yet, but for Mark Twain I definitely want to start with A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. It's been on my TBR for quite some time now.

message 10: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments I have never read Michener so this will be a good excuse to try a new author. I'm going to read Tales of the South Pacific and Caribbean partly because these will help me (I hope) with a multi country challenge I'm doing.

As for Twain, I have been required to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn but I don't know that I ever actually finished it so I'm going to read that. I'm also interested in The Prince and the Pauper (which I didn't even know Twain wrote) and Pudd'nhead Wilson. I don't know if I'll get around to them though.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3451 comments Mod
So funny! These are two of my husband's favorite authors, so we have many of each in the house. We've been trying to finish listening to Life on the Mississippi together since this summer, so that will be first on my MT list. Then, rather than picking anything in particular, I think I'll just open up my Unabridged Mark Twain and
Unabridged Mark Twain 2. It's 2 volumes of more than 1000 pages each, claiming to include "every major piece of fiction that Mark Twain created in its totally unabridged glory," -- short stories and long works all jumbled in together (an organizational style I suspect MT would've approved of, though as a reader I find it a bit overwhelming and somewhat frustrating). I think I'll just read the editor's note at the beginning of a section, then decide whether to start in on that section. Surely I won't finish either of the volumes, but it'll be a great way to decide which things I do want to read, even if I then get them from the library in a less unwieldy format.

For Michener, I think I'll start with either Recessional or The Source. Others that appeal to me are , Mexico, Iberia, and Miracle in Seville. Does anyone know anything about Matecumbe? I saw some extremely positive and some extremely negative reviews, and that intrigues me.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) I'm going to start with The Prince and the Pauper and either Tales of the South Pacific or The Source

message 13: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments A great selection for the first round

I'm not sure what I will read yet, I think whatever fits into the ROAR challenge some how, as I have not read anything from either author.

Now Slayermel -- That is a good plan. Maybe I will have to change mine when I see the March ROAR list. Good thing these lists are not set in stone.

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments I am going to start with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer since I haven't read it in over 20 years and it is on my nook. I will figure out the rest as we go.

message 16: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) So many to choose from! I can't wait to get started on this one - but I have a few other books to finish before I jump into this without getting overwhelmed.

I can't wait!

message 17: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) I think people are just choosing Tales of the South Pacific because it is the shortest! And NO, watching the musical doesn't count. LOL

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments i found he has several short ones - I have Miracle in Seville on reserve at the library that comes in at a whopping 108 pages...Legacy including the text of the Constitution comes in at 175; Journey at 242 and Creatures of the Kingdom at 281 pages...I thought going with a few short ones, as well as a long one of him would give me a good range

message 19: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Lynne wrote: "I think people are just choosing Tales of the South Pacific because it is the shortest! And NO, watching the musical doesn't count. LOL"

Is it a short one? I didn't even look.

message 20: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) I was just kidding. You know me...smart a** to the end! :)

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments can we watch the musical for bonus points? lol! I haven't seen South Pacific in years and have the yern to "wash that man right outta my hair"

Lahni wrote: "Lynne wrote: "I think people are just choosing Tales of the South Pacific because it is the shortest! And NO, watching the musical doesn't count. LOL"

Is it a short one? I didn't e..."

Lahni - forget about her. She is just trying to give me a bad time cuz she knows I can read rings around her :P

message 23: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Lyn M wrote: "Lahni wrote: "Lynne wrote: "I think people are just choosing Tales of the South Pacific because it is the shortest! And NO, watching the musical doesn't count. LOL"

Is it a short on..."

You can read rings around me???? Maybe that is because I am a hardworking woman while YOU dear sister, are a LAZY retired person. LOL

Lynne wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "Lahni wrote: "Lynne wrote: "I think people are just choosing Tales of the South Pacific because it is the shortest! And NO, watching the musical doesn't count. LOL"

..."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. You ARE a hardworking woman and I AM a lazy retired person. But your day will come sweetie!

message 25: by Tina (last edited Mar 03, 2011 08:02PM) (new)

Tina | 232 comments I'm in the "what's available on kindle boat" for Mitchner, so I think I too am going to read Caravans: A Novel of Afghanistan by Michener. As for Mr. Twain, I think I'll read Joan of Arc.

Tina wrote: "I'm in the "what's available on kindle boat" for Mitchner, so I think I too am going to read Caravans: A Novel of Afghanistan by Michener. As for Mr. Twain, I think I'll read [book:Jo..."

Tina - I am so excited to read Joan of Arc. We will have to talk about it when we get a chance. It is one of the few things by him that I have not read yet, and Twain has always said it is the work that he is most proud of.

message 27: by Tina (new)

Tina | 232 comments Lyn M wrote: "Tina wrote: "I'm in the "what's available on kindle boat" for Mitchner, so I think I too am going to read Caravans: A Novel of Afghanistan by Michener. As for Mr. Twain, I think I'll ..."

Me too Lyn!

message 28: by Arlene (last edited Mar 22, 2011 06:39PM) (new)

Arlene | 145 comments Michener is one of my favorite authors and I read most of the big novels as they were published in paperback but there are some books that I haven't read yet. I found Creatures of the Kingdom on my bookshelf at home and it is one that I had never read, so I am starting with that one.
I read a number of Mark Twain books as a child and teenager. In fact, I really didn't like A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court when I had to read it in High School. When I read it later as an adult, I liked it. My folks had a book, Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain that they had given to my daughter. I am starting with it.

message 29: by Bea (last edited May 07, 2011 05:20AM) (new)

Bea | 4659 comments Mod
I just checked, and I have some unread books on my home library shelves of both of these authors. However, I noticed that the authors were chosen in February, and we are now in May. Are they still current? If so, until when?

message 30: by Tien (new)

Bea wrote: "I just checked, and I have some unread books on my home library shelves of both of these authors. However, I noticed that the authors were chosen in February, and we are now in May. Are they stil..."

Hey, Bea, yes, still current, it's a 3 monthly ("season") thing. :)

message 31: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4659 comments Mod
Kazza wrote: "Bea wrote: "I just checked, and I have some unread books on my home library shelves of both of these authors. However, I noticed that the authors were chosen in February, and we are now in May. A..."

Thanks.