Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

1 view
Autumn Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Madelyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Madelyn | 3 comments When the air gets a bit cooler and the leaves show signs of changing... I have a strange desire to read trashy Stephen King horror books. I also reread "A Separate Peace" every year; for me it personifies fall's ghostliness to perfection. What do you like to read in the fall?

message 2: by Summer Rae (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Summer Rae Garcia This is the best topic! My reading is very seasonal. The fall is reserved for classics set in chilly climates, quick read mysteries and beastly epics like Edward Rutherford or Margaret George. Last year was all about Michael Connelly and Rutherford's London.

I think this year I am going Jean Auel and some Zola.

message 3: by h (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

h (dragonbird) | 7 comments in theory i like to read biographies in the fall, but in reality i read whatever i need to for classes.

message 4: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) For me, cooler weather means hunkering down (or in) with a big epic, not necessarily a page-turner. Currently reading In America which fits the bill, and a couple of years ago it was Anna Karenian by Tolstoy.

message 5: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Tess Oooo...have to read H.P.Lovecraft in October! Best time of year to do it, my friends!

message 6: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Danielle For some reason I really like to read fantasy books during the fall/winter months. I usually try to read the Harry Potter books or anything Tolkein. Maybe it's because this is a magical time of year?

message 7: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Seth, I'm lovin' that All Horror for October...think I might try to sneak in Creepers by David Morrell mid-month.

message 8: by Armando (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Armando Alvarez | 9 comments i like sf and fantasy they are pretty good lol but then again my imagination sometimes gets out of hand. I dont like seperate peace because gene betrays phineas; i know he didnt mean to push phineas out of the tree but he betrayed him with his thoughts and the way he acted toward him even when phineas protected him. sorry i dont like bashing books but this is probably my least favorite one.hmm sry babbling of subject. in the summer and spring i like reading books about magic and futuristic type . in winter and fall i like reading adventure books lets me escape the cold by going into the books and travel in them lol.=)

message 9: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I not a seasonal reader. I just read whatever I feel like reading.

message 10: by Armando (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Armando Alvarez | 9 comments hmm thats a good path to follow lol keeps everything new and exciting i guess lol.

message 11: by Clayton (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Clayton | 52 comments Every year on that morning when I wake up and fall is officially in the air I dig out two of my old favorites to re-read. I used to teach middle school English and read Bradbury's The Halloween Tree aloud to my students every year. Now I still read it myself every October. The other that I read every fall is Agatha Christie's autobiography. I love this book and have re-read it every year for quite some time. For some reason that book always represents fall for me.

message 12: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Michael | 3 comments I dig into much bigger books it seems once Fall and that wretched season that follows comes around. I like epic in the Fall. something with lots of span and depth. I sometimes dig ou the Pendragon Cycle by Lawhead to get my King Arthur Fix, sometime Jonathan Strange & mr. Norrell for my magic fix of Adventures of Kavalier and Clay for the pulp comic fix....just to name a few.

message 13: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Seth - interesting remark on Totem - my partner is a huge Morrell fan and he had pretty much the same reaction as you did to Totem. I never read it.

message 14: by Kellie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Kellie (krheck) | 14 comments I saved the last Harry Potter book for this month! I'm reading it now!