Beaufort 1849, a novel of antebellum South Carolina Beaufort 1849, a novel of antebellum South Carolina discussion

Jane Eyre in Beaufort 1849

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (last edited Feb 28, 2011 05:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen Allen I've noticed a number of people interested in this book have read or are reading Jane Eyre. In that case, I expect you'll find the part of Beaufort 1849 about the introduction of the somewhat scandalous new novel by Currer Bell Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë into the town of Beaufort especially amusing.

Camille Very amusing!! It was a great addition because the characters in your story and in Jane Eyre mirror each other somewhat and they don't even know it.

Karen Allen Thanks Camille! I always find it interesting that during the nineteenth century women wrote under male pseudonyms, even though people usually knew it was a woman author (George Sand, George Elliot) or found out soon enough the true gender of the writer. And then there's Benjamin Franklin who sometimes wrote under a female pseudonym!

It's also a fine line to walk referring to a piece of literature in one's story because you can't be sure the reader has read it and a)will get the joke/allusion/significance or b)you say too much about the work and spoil it for them if they ever do read it. Ah well.