CoS Forums discussion

Book Club Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui | 24 comments Mod
I thought we should have a seperate thread to suggest new books for the Book Club and discussions on how well it's going, just to keep from straying from the actual book conversations.

For our next book, I suggest The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or To Kill a Mockingbird, which I've been meaning to read it for ages, and it was mentioned in the book club post as one of the original suggestions

Other books suggested were:

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens.
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott.
Frankenstien - Mary Shelley.
The Hobbit- JRR Tolkein
His Dark Materials- Philip Pullman

However, as was suggested two or more books may be group-read at once, as some members may not wish to read certain books, or they may not be available in certain areas

Happy reading

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill | 16 comments Good idea! I generally like that list, but I will throw out a few more suggestions, mainly since I have felt lately that I should pay a bit more attention to American literature--virtually everything I've read in the past five years has been British or ancient. (But I'm not looking to be exclusive.) Anyway, I've read some of these and some are ones I've always meant to.

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Color Purple - Alice Walker
Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel García Márquez
American Pastoral - Philip Roth

message 3: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui | 24 comments Mod
I've heard of all of them at least, and I've read Huck Finn...I can't see it being a problem for UK readers to find most of them...
Can't speak for other countries though

message 4: by Yoana (new)

Yoana | 22 comments I vote To Kill a Mockingbird, because I read it recently :D

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarasakr) | 11 comments I don't mind going with The Hitchhiker's Guide, next, if there's enough interest. I've read To Kill a Mockingbird a few months ago, so I'm ok with this one, as well.

message 6: by Leah (last edited Feb 25, 2011 07:45AM) (new)

Leah (leah49) | 13 comments I'm up for any of the ones listed. I'm not a Charles Dickens fan, but I'll read his work if others want to read something for the book club.

Of the ones listed, Little Women is my favorite so I'm up for doing that one the most.

message 7: by Melaszka (new)

Melaszka | 17 comments I don't like Dickens, either, Leah, but I found A Tale of Two Cities a lot more enjoyable than his other novels.

I'm up for any of these, but my preferred choice would probably be The Great Gatsby or To Kill A Mockingbird.

Also, the discussion on Emma has been a bit short so far - anyone else going to join in with that?

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (flashmemory) | 3 comments Apologies, but I gave up on Emma. I just can't deal with it.

I'd be happy with any on the list. I studied To Kill a Mockingbird at school so it would be fun to get my book out again with all the old notes in it! Apart from that I would vote for anything Mark Twain-y.

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarasakr) | 11 comments Melaszka wrote: "Also, the discussion on Emma has been a bit short so far - anyone else going to join in with that?"

Yes, I'll try to stop by as soon as possible. I just thought to finish it first, in order to have a better idea on the characters.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (escapeebee) | 4 comments I read To Kill a Mockingbird recently but would be happy to refresh my memory and be able to discuss it, I haven't read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy before so I'd be with happy with that choice :) I also have a copy of The Hobbit I've been meaning to read for ages so all those choices are good with me. I'm better with modern books, I sometimes struggle reading older novels (hense not joining in with Emma) so I'll try and join in with the more modern choices :)

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Krakover (rockets2writing) | 5 comments I agree im much better with modern books as well. I struggle with the classics, I've only read a couple and it was back when I was in school.

message 12: by Leah (new)

Leah (leah49) | 13 comments If we did two books a month we could do one classic and one modern. If we just went with one we could do a classic one month and the next month do modern.

I do want to join in on the Emma discussion if I finish the book. Procastination is the one thing I excel at. I'm not putting off finishing the book on purpose!

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (flashmemory) | 3 comments Anyone have any suggestions for modern books?

message 14: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui | 24 comments Mod
I still think that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a good one for a modern read- I'm due a re-read myself, and I'd like others to join in :)