Delirity discussion

Author G > Outlander - D. Gabaldon

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jul 29, 2014 10:23AM) (new)

message 2: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 25 comments I love these books. I just finished the fourth one about a week ago. I forced myself to read it slowly so that it would last! I recommed this series to all my friends and family.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
I just started book 1. I'm reading it on my phone a few pages at a time while I'm stopped at stopped lights. I'm was interested, but now I'm waiting for something to happen. As long as it happens soon I'll be happy.

message 4: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 25 comments It is a tiny bit slow at the beginning, but it really picks up.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Ya, things finally started moving. I was waiting for the "back in time" part.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments I really like the books, but know they're not for everyone. Jamie and Claire are one of my all time favorite couples.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Finally got myself a copy of book 1, I'm very curious to see what all the buzz is about.

message 8: by Heather (new)

I'm on the fence with Jamie right now. He's a bit to "liberal" with the women at the moment.

message 9: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I had to force myself to finish this one. I doubt I will ever read any of the others. I don't think I am really a historical romance fan since the few books in the genre I have read I merely thought were ok. If it is mixed with fantasy elements like Gardella Vampires, then I like it.

message 10: by Heather (new)

I never thought I'd like historical romance, but I really liked Moning and Kleypas so I'm giving it a try. This one seems to be a bit more historical simply because she spends more time describing everything. However, it's not the type of history I like. She's on daily life and culutre, while I'm more or an art and politics sort of girl. I need an O book so I'm finishing this one no matter what. I'll let you know what I think once it's over though. So far I have moments I like and then slow moments, but nothing "put down worthy" yet.

message 11: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I have tried to read the first one twice now and gave it up both times. This one just isn't for me. but since I don't really care for historicals it doesn't surprise me.

message 12: by Sooz (new)

Sooz Anzalone (soozee) | 55 comments Jaimie is wonderful! I have read all eight, but really didn't become obsessed until book #3. I like historical fiction, so I like that part. It is a story the builds with each book and really worth it...

message 13: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. It's one of my favorite series and I am totally in love with Jamie. The first book it takes about 1/2 way before you find out why women are so crazy about Jamie.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Is it just me, or is there a good 100 pages of this book dedicated to whether or not it's okay to beat someone for misbehaving? Spouse or child? I don't really want to read about someone who not only smacked his wife, but enjoyed it. Yes, the get past that and all, but I was rather appalled with Jamie. I get the time period was different, but I don't know if I'd call that an "entertaining" read.
I'm still not quite done, but basically I'm finding this book to be okay. I get drawn into the story even though it's long and drawn out. If they took out the lashings committed by family memebers I'd have liked it a bit more. As I'm reading it, I keep wondering why I'm still reading it and yet I can't seem to put it down. I've very torn on this one.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments I just had this discussion a day or two ago in another group. It was the norm for the time period, so I didn't find it there for shock value at all.

This is not a repeat pattern for the books. Eventually, Claire manages to get through to Jamie that she won't be treated in such a manner. He never fully agrees with her, but comes to an understanding of why she believes it's wrong and doesn't beat her anymore because of it.

message 16: by Heather (new)

I get that it was normal for the period, but that was a lengthy discussion on beating your wife and your kids. And, almost all of it was positive, as long as you didn't go to far. I don't know. It just seemed like such a HUGE portion of the book for it to be something that doesn't ruin their relationship. I could see if she hated him forever after that, but it wasn't the case.
Plus, the fact that Jamie got off on it... That tipped the scales for me from "it was the times" to "what the heck is the author doing?"

message 17: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 25 comments Hi Heather, I just read your review of the book and that you are going to give book two a try. I just thought I would let you know that book 2 was the hardest for me to get through and I love the series. I've read the first four books. I just wanted to give you a heads up in case you end up finding it slow as well. Voyager, book 3, really made up for book two!

message 18: by Heather (new)

I don't mind long books if something is happening, but I felt like this one was just drawn out for no reason. It could have been 100 pages shorter and it would have been much more effectiive. But, like I said, there was something that kept me interested despite all that.
What didn't you like about book 2?

message 19: by Lacy (last edited Mar 09, 2011 03:14PM) (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 25 comments I thought the first 300 pages were pretty slow of book 2. Plus if you read the synopsis you see that the present time part of the book is 20 years in the future. That really pissed me off and took me awhile to get over. You still find out what happened directly after Outlander but it is them remembering the past. I am trying to explain it without giving spoilers! I hope that I am making sense.

message 20: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 09, 2011 03:05PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments Back on book 1...I skimmed most of the clan lineage stuff in book 1. The parts where she was using herbs for medicine and things like that actually fascinated me.

message 21: by Heather (new)

I made the mistake of reading the back of the books and I learned that (view spoiler). That kind of gave a lot away.

message 22: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I just started a re-read of the series. I had originally read the first four and stopped. I wanted to refresh myself before I pick up the rest of the series. It was a little slow goign in the beginning but now I'm about 200 pages in and it has really started to pick up. It is amazing how much I have forgotten about this series!

message 23: by Sam (last edited Aug 28, 2011 09:32AM) (new)

Sam | 88 comments This is my alltime favorite series. With every book that is due out, I tend to re-read the series.

Gabaldon put an excerpt of the next book up on her Aug 26th blog. Warning!!! It has a spoiler in it. . . .

http://www.dianagabaldon.com/blog/

message 24: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Hi can anybody tell me if the John grey books have to be read in order I accidentally picked up book 3 that just came out called the Scottish prisoner . Haven't read any of her books previously.

message 25: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Nvm it says at the beginning they can stand alone yay sounds good.

message 26: by Gin (new)

Gin Would someone who's not too big into romance enjoy this series? I've heard over and over how good it is. I like a little romance, but not as the main focus of the story.

message 27: by Sooz (new)

Sooz Anzalone (soozee) | 55 comments You will greatly enjoy it! Romance plays a part in it, but it's not the main focus and Jamie is to die for!

message 28: by Gin (new)

Gin Sooz wrote: "You will greatly enjoy it! Romance plays a part in it, but it's not the main focus and Jamie is to die for!"

I'll have to give them a try. I might listen to them. I've read reviews on audible saying the audio is better than the books.

message 29: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments I took Lord John and the Scottish Prisoner (Lord John Grey, #3) by Diana Gabaldon back 20 dollars for a hard back I dont want to be lost at all.

message 30: by Whitney (last edited Dec 14, 2011 05:35PM) (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Stacia ~ unlisted wrote: "I haven't read the Lord John books, but just from what I've heard about that book, there's an interaction with a character from Outlander that would be much more interesting if you knew something a..."

Yes, The Author said in the book that the lord John books take place in order but they are basicly stand alone adventures BUT they take place at the same time as the Outlander books and everything he is doing is going on at the same time as the things in the outlander series. So basicly she said if you've read up to Voyager you will understand the spin off series much better. Thats just way to confusing to pay 20 dollars and get 3 books of another series spoiled and be lost in the book your reading.

message 31: by Heather (new)

So, I finally got to book two. Is she going to be tried for witchcraft again? It just feels like it could go that way. If she gets tried in every book I don't think I could read through that.

message 32: by Sam (new)

Sam | 88 comments Heather:

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Heather (new)

I was up until 5am finishing the book. It hooks you. I downloaded the third. I wanted to check in out from the library, but I'll be flying tomorrow and didn't want to waste packing space on such a big book. =)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments I still need to start back up with the series at Drums of Autumn but I did love the first few books.

Heather, have you read The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons ? I loved that one as much, maybe even more than, Outlander. It's just as long and epic but the author isn't quite as heavy handed as Gabaldon can be when it comes to rambling.

message 35: by Heather (new)

I haven't heard of her. I go through historical fiction phases. I tend to get caught up in certain writing styles and read things in patterns. For some reason historical fiction hasn't been on the list in a while. It looks good. I have a hard time with WWII because of Stalin and Hitler. War and death suck, but the concentration camps and pogroms just rip my heart out. I'll probably put it off for months and then read it and love it.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Wow, I didn't realize the tv show was debuting this year!

However, watching the trailers has made me realize I need to read book one. And I might just start it now to get the bad YA/NA taste out of my mind.

It's sad I've had this book sitting on my shelf since 2006. Though as a 16 yearold I get the feeling I may not have been ready for what I believe will be a very graphic book.

message 37: by Sam (new)

Sam | 88 comments Shera, the books are awesome. They aren't just historicals, But a combination of historical, fantasy, etc. read them. They are my all time favourite books so I maybe a bit biased.

message 38: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Aug 25, 2014 05:13PM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments I'm up to page 39 and I'm enjoying the writing and the setting. Very beautiful.

Though I do have some concerns about Frank. He seems nice enough but I've already got this vibe that (view spoiler)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments It's official . . . I've stalled out. I really like it and it's beautiful. Unlike other readers I totally buy that woman were in fact treated that way.

It's just . . . too much.

message 40: by Sam (new)

Sam | 88 comments How far did you get?

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Way past the middle . . . some creepy lord is coming to visit.