Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Ghost/Haunting books

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) I can highly recommend the Weird US books as far as supposedly true ghost stories. They started as collected stories from New Jersey but they've started to cover several of the other states too. They're fun and also document tons of weird stuff most people aren't aware of.

message 4: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments ahhhhhemmmm: Ghost Story by Peter Straub

message 5: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments house of leaves- mark z. danielewski, really transgressive, but really good.

message 6: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments The Haunting of Hill House- Shirley Jackson

message 7: by McKenzie (new)

McKenzie | 26 comments I recommend these:

Homeplace
No Doors, No Windows: A Novel
The Amityville Horror

I too adore books like these. I cannot seem to find enough of them.

message 8: by Kat (last edited Apr 18, 2011 12:41PM) (new)

Kat (kat2011) | 68 comments "The Ghosts on 87th Lane" by M. L. Woelm - Its a woman's story that spans a few decades. Supposedly true. Most of it seems like its her misplacing items and whatnot. My friend who spooked easily loved it, I on the other hand thought a lot of it was just repetitive.

There are also the books that the two main ghost hunters from Sci Fi's Ghost Hunters TV show wrote. The first book "Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society" mainly consists of brief summaries of cases that were on the show. Better off with the second book in my opinion.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Hollis | 303 comments Ghost House by Claire McNally(spelling?)

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Hollis | 303 comments The Elementals by Michael McDowell

message 11: by Kilgallen (new)

Kilgallen | 73 comments The Dwelling by Susie Moloney.

message 12: by Martha (last edited Apr 30, 2011 07:53PM) (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 65 comments I'd like to second Hell House, and The Loveliest Dead is really good too. Ghost Story is a good book, but am I the only one who thought "ghost" story was rather misleading as a title? Still recommended. If she doesn't mind reading short stories on the older side (think Poe style) Ghosts: A Treasury of Chilling Tales Old and New is really good, and can be gotten very cheap.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I love a good spooky traditional ghost story. And I will be adding all of these to my list.

This thread is almost two years old though - anymore to add?

message 14: by Huixian (new)

Huixian | 2 comments Yes, another ghost/haunting fan here. Just watched 'The Conjuring'...that's the kind of story I'd like to read about. Any more recommendations for similar stories?

message 16: by Cathy (last edited Aug 12, 2013 03:21PM) (new)

Cathy | 177 comments Tressa and other named most of my favorites, but also try:

The Girl in a Swing
Property of a Lady
A Face at the Window

Also, lots and lots of short stories. Ghost stories seem to be much more common in short fiction.

message 17: by Huixian (last edited Aug 14, 2013 07:00AM) (new)

Huixian | 2 comments Yes, it seems the best ones are in short stories. I really enjoy the ones by Richard Matheson. Has anyone read M R James? Really old stuff (he wrote some ghost stories in the early 1900s) and some of his stories were truly creepy. I got to know of him when I found out that he influenced the works of John Bellairs, whose young adult gothic horror books were a favorite of mine when I was a kid.

message 18: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (laladybug40) | 10 comments These are some great titles. Thanks so much for sharing everyone.

message 19: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11088 comments Mod
I added almost all these titles for my to read list. I've read some of M.R. James. I like him quiet a bit.

message 20: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
M.R. James is excellent.

I also recommend Algernon Blackwood and Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.

message 21: by Feliks (last edited Aug 14, 2013 01:55PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Charles Dickens wrote some ghost stories. Classic Ghost Stories

Shirley Jackson wrote, We Have Always Lived in the Castle in addition to 'Hill House'.

Julia by Peter Straub also became a movie starring Mia Farrow.

My god, plenty more to remind myself of here.. you could go all the way back to Horace Walpole's The Castle of Otronto

And how about Audrey Rose?

message 22: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11088 comments Mod
I just read "we have always lived in the castle." I really liked it. I've read a few things by Blackwood and I do enjoy Le Fanu.

message 23: by Jacky (new)

Jacky | 9 comments There's always The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories which is compilation of short stories, or Dark Matter is quite good.

message 24: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 420 comments Midnight Picnic is one of the best ghost stories I've ever read. Highly recommended!

message 25: by David (new)

David | 5 comments Bret Easton Ellis - Lunar Park. Totally amazing!