Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Favorite Working Directors?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Who are your favorite directors?

EW has a list of the 25 greatest working directors, but it's in slideshow format: http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20311...

I'm really glad they had Brad Bird on the list, but I'd like to see Miyazaki on there too. And Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Of the list offered, I’ll take Terence Malick, Martin Scorsese, Roman Polanski, Steven Spielberg, Joel and Ethan Cohen, Mike Leigh, Spike Lee, David Lynch, and Clint Eastwood in the top tier, David O. Russell, Danny Boyle, Paul Thomas Anderson, Pedro Almodovar, Christopher Nolan and David Fincher in the second, and leave the rest, at least for now.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Mike Leigh -- thought it was interesting, though, that the article says he's "responsible...for strong female performances," (or whatever). Don't they think the women themselves might have some responsibility for their own performances?

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Yes, I understood that, but it is worded very poorly.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Mira Nair! I loved Monsoon Wedding.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm surprised Sofia Coppola didn't make their list.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I'm surprised Sofia Coppola didn't make their list."

She should have been. I love her work.

message 8: by Gatorman (last edited Feb 24, 2011 01:18PM) (new)

Gatorman Tarantino, Eastwood, Bigelow, Nolan and Fincher from the list. Also love David Cronenberg.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24261 comments Mod
Ang Lee is pretty good. Really though I don't have enough knowledge about bodies of work to say. Spielberg is horrific. Not a fan of Tarantino either.

message 10: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments from that list: guillermo del torro, pedro almodóvar, the coen brothers and quentin tarantino.

message 11: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments The Coens.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael I'm not sure I have a favorite but I like Robert Rodriguez and Takashi Miike. From the list I like Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson.

message 13: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I respect and admire many directors, dead or living, but the four below are the only ones I will make concerted efforts to see their films immediately:

David Cronenberg
Quentin Tarantino
Christopher Nolan
Joel & Ethan Coen

message 14: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Gus wrote: "I respect and admire many directors, dead or living, but the four below are the only ones I will make concerted efforts to see their films immediately:

David Cronenberg
Quentin Tarantino
Christoph..."

Cronenberg and Tarantino are definitely must-see directors. Both on my list as well.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Jane Campion. Loved The Piano
Roman Polanski, despite him being a despicable person, he CAN direct.
Pedro Almodovar. Woman focused, and I love his technicolor sets.
Alfonso Cuaron.
Todd Haynes.
Michel Gondry.
Woody Allen.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Ooh, some great additions there, Jackie!
I loved Velvet Goldmine so much that Todd Haynes should be on my list even if I never like another thing he does.

message 17: by Heidi (last edited Mar 03, 2011 07:09AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments :/

It's "Coen," not "Cohen."

message 18: by Auntie (new)

Auntie Raye-Raye (fabulousraye) John Waters.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) So who are your favorite working dictators?

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments FabulousRaye wrote: "John Waters."

Hooray for John Waters!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.