TV We've Just Watched discussion

General > Moderator Issues

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Holli (new)

Holli I have a question:

Jackie, Lori, and I have been trying to get in touch with Ed who is the moderator of this group. We would like threads cleaned up and spammers deleted... basically secretarial type things. I haven't had a response from Ed regarding this and his status on Goodreads says he hasn't been active since August 2010. I've written an email to one of the Goodreads powers that be to ask what we can do in this situation. I did find something relating to this on the Goodreads Feedback group though:

"One good idea might be to start a thread regarding moderation in the group in question. That way, all interested members can have input, perhaps nominate possible new moderators, and even informally vote. I understand that sometimes there are moderators who haven't been active on the site for months or even years, but I don't think it's fair to existing members to not offer them the chance to be a moderator or at least have some input in the direction of the group. If you get a good discussion thread going about moderation, then perhaps several people can send an email to goodreads support, linking to the discussion thread, and explaining why they need the inactive moderator removed/a new moderator added. If 10 different group members all emailed asking for a new moderator, I'm sure that would get a response."

If we cannot get in touch with Ed regarding his group how would you all feel about a new moderator/moderators and how would we go about determining who those people would be?

message 2: by Jackie (last edited Feb 24, 2011 08:39AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments We definitely need a new moderator and it's a good assumption that we won't be hearing from Ed. I've written to him multiple times.
The threads are in bad shape, multiple threads for the same topic, shows that need to be moved to the appropriate folders. We haven't had any polls in over a year. And now the dreaded spammers have found us! We need moderators who are interested in the group.

I too wrote a message to Goodreads on this very subject. Anyone else who wants to add their voice, go to the homepage, scroll to the bottom, click onto Help, then Contact Us and send your message.

We should see who would be willing to take on the duties of Moderator and then have a vote. If Goodreads gives us the go-ahead, we'll be ready to make the transition and get started.
I think 2 or more moderators would be even better, share the work and we won't be dependent upon one single person as is the case with Ed. Ed was great while he was active and I don't want to undermine him, but something needs to be done for the good of the group.

I would be willing to share the duties of Moderator. I spend enough time here at this Group. Anyone else interested in the job please respond.

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm interested.... I've got the time during the day to make sure the group runs smoothly and cleanly. I do agree that Ed did a great job while he was here but I've written to him multiple times too and never a response. I think we need people who will keep up with what's going on in the group and who will make sure it runs the way it should run. I would love to tackle that responsibility with you Jackie.

Hopefully Goodreads lets us know soon what we need to do in this instance or Ed shows back up again so we can go to him with our concerns and thoughts.

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments I vote for Holli, who would make an AWESOME Moderator for this group (or any other!). Jackie if you want to co-moderate that would be great, but Holli is extremely organized and always gets the scoop on spoilers or updates some of us like to know.

Ed if it's not your passion any more, please help transition to Holli and/or Jackie.

Peace,
Courtney

message 5: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I have no problem with adding another moderator to the group. Who knows what happened to Ed and maybe he just needs help. I don't want to step on anyone's toes. So, it would be a good idea to have more moderators to take the pressure off one person. Holli if you have the time, go for it! I'm for it.

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli Thanks to the both of you! I would love to co-mod with Jackie or with Jackie and Ed..... I don't want to step on Ed's toes either!

message 7: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Didn't mean to leave Jackie out. Sorry Jackie! You Holli and Ed. Any one else? I would even help if you need it.

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments Awesome!

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Yes, this is a great group and it needs an active moderator(s). I've been friends with Ed for years, but if his status at GR is inactive then some new mods need to be put charge of the group. I've known Holli for years and think that she'd be an asset to TWJW.

My Horror Aficionado group's moderator went AWOL years ago, and some caring members appealed to GR admins. and we were able to get the group active again with moderators who could participate on a daily basis.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie I too would love this group to be fixed. I used to comment in it all the time. Then it just became a mess. With no one to to clean up 10 threads were made for one show. I just couldn't stand it so I quit participating in it at all. I tried to message goodreads about it last YEAR! I told them I would be mod but since he is active every now and then they wouldn't let me. I then messaged Ed and got no response. So I just stopped visiting this group and added a TV thread to my Goodflicks group (which also was created because Ed's movie group Movies We Just Watched also became a mess! Good luck.. and let me know if you need help!

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Oh, I agree about the Movies We've Just Watched. A lot of trolling going on there, in-fighting, and an overall unpleasant atmosphere. I left years ago and joined Angie's pleasant movie group.

message 12: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Thanks to Tressa, I found this group. I'm new and so far really liking it.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa This group definitely needs some reorganizing...I would love to see Holli and Jackie get the chance to step in because they are clearly attentive to this group. I love this group, but don't spend as much time here anymore because threads are duplicated or all over the place.

message 14: by Jackie (last edited Feb 24, 2011 11:21AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Tressa wrote: some caring members appealed to GR admins. and we were able to get the group active again with moderators who could participate on a daily basis.

That's encouraging, I hope they help us with our issues.
Has anyone else written to goodreads about our mod issue? I think it would help if everyone complains to them. The more the merrier.

Holli would be the best Moderator. We all know we can count of her and that's of utmost importance to many of us.

message 15: by Angie (new)

Angie I have written to them in the past trying to be a co-mod in the group. Nothing happened.

message 16: by Jackie (last edited Feb 24, 2011 11:28AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I'm thinking if we all do it now, today or tomorrow and it's a good amount of people, they'll have to address the issue. Just make sure we state that Ed has been inactive and the group is falling to pieces.
If they don't want to help we can start a new group as a last resort.

message 17: by Holli (new)

Holli You guys are awesome! I'm happy that everyone is on the same page as Jackie and I are.... this group really needs to be cleaned up, organized, and kept up with on a daily basis. I actually love this group. I watch a ton of TV and I subscribe to many blogs and websites so I can keep up with the insider secrets and spoilers. I think that if we are allowed to moderate it or co-moderate the group it could be great again!

Thank you to everyone that has commented here in this thread and I agree with Jackie... if we ALL write at the same time to the Goodreads people then maybe something can happen. If not, and they say we have to leave it as is, Jackie and I are up for creating a new group for all of us loyal TV watchers. We won't be able to have the history of the threads but that's ok... we could just pick up where we left off in the new group. Same threads, same people, new location.

Angie, I had no idea you were the Goodflicks creator... I'm headed over that way now! I love movies as much as I love TV!

message 18: by Holli (new)

Holli I checked the stats of the group and Ed started this group April 10th 2008. Since then he's made 99 comments in the group, the last one being in June 2010. While I'm happy that he created this group as I love it....

I've been a member of this group since May 7th 2008 and I've made 2,105 comments. I really really love this group..... it's one of my faves and I would love to be able to moderate it and make it even better!

(Sorry, I'm a little frustrated.... not trying to undermine Ed... just frustrated because this group needs someone who has some time to spend on it.)

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I totally agree Holli.
When more people comment here, I want to send the link to this topic to goodreads, just so they know what's going on here and how many people are disappointed with group business yet love the group itself.

message 20: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kheckart) | 456 comments I agree that we need more moderators to help clean up the threads on this group, get rid of spammers, etc. I would vote for Holli and Jackie to help moderate. I will even help.

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie Please send me a PM if this group gets fixed or if a new group is created. Honestly since this group is a mess I NEVER make comments in it anymore and I am a HUGE TV person. I mean HUGE!!!

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan (itsmegan) Good idea!

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments I don't know Ed and hopefully he's just found something elso to do with his time other than GR. Talking about the TV shows we watch and getting to know you all is fun but the spam postings here are really frustrating and they take away from the whole GR experience. This group needs an active moderator(s) and I'm in favor of everyone in the thread who said they're interested in becoming a moderator, being a moderator.

message 24: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 928 comments I would vote for Holli as moderator! Let's get things cleaned up!

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 213 comments I recently joined this group and have enjoyed finding some new and old friends who enjoy watching TV shows. I'm anxious to hear about new moderators being installed - active moderators are important for any group to keep things organized and maintained. I'm now following this discussion & hoping a resolution can be found. I think it's great that so many people participate in and care about this group. See y'all around!

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments Dustin Crazy wrote: "See y'all around!"

If you don't turn square! Sorry, but I just can't avoid the corny joke/pun. I'm annoying like that at times LOL!

message 27: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm really hoping that we get this resolved soon.... I haven't heard anything yet from either Ed or the Goodreads people but I'll let you all know when I do. Thanks for the support in getting this fixed!

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine I have not been on Goodreads for very long but I do see the importance of an active moderator for each group. As Dustin Crazy said they keep things organized and maintained as well as keeping away spam. If Holli and/or Jackie are willing to take over the position of moderator(s), I am all for it. Both are active on multiple threads in the group and are interested in keeping the discussions orderly and shooing away unwanted postings.

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Good luck, Holli! You'll be doing the group a great service.

message 30: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments The disarray of some of the threads has been driving me crazy! Old ones that need to be deleted, dups, threads that should be moved out of "New Shows" and so on. I would looooooooove someone to step in if Ed is no longer able to do it. If for some reason Ed shows up and does not want to step down, I think he should definitly name a co-moderator. In way about it, this Group could use more then one moderator...too much for one to handle I would think.

I love this Group and don't want to see it disappear either!

I vote for multiple moderators!

If more people start agree, should we do nominations & or voting buttons? I'm cool with Holli & Jackie but there may be some other people who don't know them or would like a shot at it themselves.

message 31: by Holli (new)

Holli We can't elect a new moderator Roxy without Goodreads powers that be overriding Ed as moderator and taking him out of that position first. If they won't do that then we are stuck where we are right now. If they will take him down we can elect new people or if Ed shows back up again and agrees to allowing someone to help him we can go about it that way too.

Otherwise there's nothing we can do.

message 32: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Sorry, should have explained better....I was going on the assumption that either Ed would appear in which case I think he should add an additional person OR if we can get GR to overpower his moderator-ship, put two in his place. Anyway about it, I think there should be at least 2 moderators.

I suppose the big questions first should really be:

- Does anyone have any other way of contacting Ed?

- When/how do we contact GR about an over-ride?

message 33: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments It's done. Goodreads responded to my email, from before we even started this topic. Holli and I are now co-mods along with Ed. He started the group and I think it's bad form to just kick him out. We can start the clean up without him.

message 34: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Happy to hear everything worked out. Good luck to you both!

message 35: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments Jackie wrote: "It's done. Goodreads responded to my email, from before we even started this topic. Holli and I are now co-mods along with Ed. He started the group and I think it's bad form to just kick him out..."

Good news!

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine Thanks Jackie and Holli and Ed, I hope you reappear some day!

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 213 comments Congrats to Jackie & Holli ! You'll do great :-)

message 38: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) That's wonderful news. Get to work, ladies. :-D

Ed's gonna get a big surprise when he visits the group.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 213 comments So, I don't see Ed listed as a moderator anymore - just Jackie and Holli.

btw, Jackie can you take "new show this fall" off the Fringe thread title since it's now in it's third season? :-)

message 40: by Jackie (last edited Feb 26, 2011 06:50PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Yes, Dustin. It's been moved to Cult series.

message 41: by Holli (new)

Holli Thanks everyone!! Jackie and I are excited that GR let us become the moderators.... Ed has been taken off until he reappears and we can talk with him about the changes that have been made. I'm hoping he comes back and we can "sit down" with each other and go over all this stuff. Until then, Jackie and I are happy to take over and clean stuff up... get the group in top shape!

Jackie and I will be working on moving things around in the next couple of days so hang on until we get it all straightened out. If there is anything that you would like to see moved, deleted, or added please leave us a comment in the suggestion box.

Thanks again for your support!

message 42: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Congrats, Holli. If I watched more TV I would definitely be here all the time. I'm just thankful for the fun Survivor thread in the Reality TV group.

Now if only someone would moderate Movies We've Just Watched. I remember how so much out-of-control snarkiness and pettiness and fighting happened over the years there. It needs a moderator badly.

message 43: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Groups are ruined without the proper care. I hope your movie group gets sorted out, Tressa.

message 44: by Holli (new)

Holli I have gone through the group this morning and moved things around, deleted duplicate threads, and created some new folders for us.

Can you all please let me know if a show you watch is in the wrong folder and I'll get that moved? If a show has been cancelled or the series has ended you will find it in the Cancelled/Series Ended folder now. I'd like your help with this because I don't watch all of the shows that are listed in this group and so I may have moved some to the wrong spot.

message 45: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Congrats Holli & Jackie.

message 46: by Holli (new)

Holli Thanks Roxy!!

message 47: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments H&J,
I just searched for some of the threads I started. I know there are some old ones or inactive ones. Is it easier for me or you to delete them.

DRAMA
Law & Order - (last activity/not very active) 07/2009
Army Wives - (last activity/not very active)9/2009
Csi (vegas) - (last activity/not very active) 3/2010

NEW SHOWS
each of these 'new shows' is going into/has started a second season.
Blue Blood
Rizzoli & Isles
The Glades

COMEDIES
Psych - show still on but not an active thread. last activity 10/2009

message 48: by Angie (new)

Angie I would like to thank you for cleaning up this group. I was the one WAY back who originally suggested this idea to ED. Then it became a mess! I am sooooo happy... I will for sure be posting in this group again. Good job guys!

message 49: by Holli (new)

Holli Roxy, thanks for doing that! I'll leave the shows up that aren't very active. No reason to delete them.... a new member may like to comment on them when they join. I'll move those new shows to their respective spots though... thanks!!

message 50: by Holli (new)

Holli Glad to have you back Angie and if any of you would like to invite friends of yours to the group... please do!! I know I'm going to!

« previous 1