Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

General Chit Chat > e-reading

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charity (new)

Charity (charitydlikesit) | 3 comments Does anyone here have an e-reader or read books on-line? I am looking into getting one and I need some suggestions and some info on how it works. What is the best way to go about setting up an on-line library and what app is best to use if I am wanting to read from my computer and from an e-reader in the future?

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) i have a kindle, i absolutely love it and dnt know how i lived without it lol
i hate reading books on my computer but the kindle looks like a real page out of a book

message 3: by Charity (new)

Charity (charitydlikesit) | 3 comments Thanks! I have hears a lot of good things about Kindle. My main question I think is if someone e-mails me an adobe or PDF file can I put it into "my personal" Kindle library to upload it to the kindle?

message 4: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Feb 24, 2011 03:29PM) (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
Charity, i had set up a review area(in resources folder) for people like yourself who are looking into getting e readers.

but there is a goodreads e reader area where you can look at all the ereaders and also customise goodreads by stating that you own one of them. that way if you download any ebooks via the goodreads site, the theory is that you can download them straight onto them... they don't have my ereader however so i can't tell you for definate what happens... just the theory of it!

as for your question i don't have a kindle... kayleigh will you be able to answer this one?

message 5: by Adele, Moderator (new)

http://www.goodreads.com/ereaders is the link for the ereader area on goodreads. once i know more about it, i will put it in the help area.

message 6: by Justine (new)

Justine Saulnier (goodreadscombookworm247) | 46 comments i dont even now what a kindle is. what exzactly is it?

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) course i can adele, i seem 2 v the go2 girl for kindle info. friends who have had it longer than me ask me questions about it and i always know the answer lmao

charity - yes u can put pdf files and word docs on2 ur kindle. you can do it in 2 ways email it to ur kindle thru amazon which just takes too long for me. i always use the 2nd way coz it is so much easier you get a lead 2 connect ur kindle 2 ur computer and just open up the kindle part like u wud a memory stick and just drag the documents over and them it'll b on ur kindle really quickly. its reli good, i use pdfs a lot coz i am studying psychology at uni so i have 2 read a lot of journal articles on pdf format so i put them on my kindle rather than printing them out. it works reli well 2.

justine - a kindle is just an amazon e-reader and the screen just looks like a normal page out of a book. u can barely tell the difference.

if u guys have any more questions about the kindle i dnt mind answering

message 8: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Kayleigh Have you done a review in the Groups ereader area?

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) no but i will do. i'll post it l8r wen i have some more time :)

message 10: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Cool no rush! thank you!

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) :)
i'll have time to do it tonite

message 12: by Pj (new)

Pj | 11 comments I love my Sony prs-350 ereader. It's a lovely little gadget. Fits in my pocket no problem. Even with my classy blue leather book cover. The screen is amazing just like paper and its very easy to read. I looked at Kindles before I decided on the Sony but found them to big and ugly and the fact that my friends is on his second now and the page turn button sticks made my mind up as the Sony is touch screen page turning.
I take it everywhere ;).
I have about 200 books on it mostly vamp, horror and fantasy.
I also have Kindle app for my Htc desire hd and Aldiko book reader for android both pretty good but the screen isn't as eye friendly as the e-ink on dedicated e-readers ;)
I'd say about 80% of my reading is done electronically these days. I love it!

message 13: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments u should sign up to be a vamptasy reviewer, its mostly ebooks and u get them free

message 14: by H.K. (new)

H.K. Savage | 57 comments Just got a new computer and this one lets me read ebooks!! I can finally read my own work in its "official" format. Does anyone have something that is awesome that I should read first?

message 15: by Monkeymom (new)

Monkeymom | 3 comments I just ordered a Kindle on Friday.....and can't wait to get it. I'm one of those that kept saying that I wasn't going to get one, but I finally gave in.

message 16: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments woohoo

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) Monkeymom wrote: "I just ordered a Kindle on Friday.....and can't wait to get it. I'm one of those that kept saying that I wasn't going to get one, but I finally gave in."

me 2 i was like NO! its not the same as a proper book.

i love my kindle its amazing
ha ha

message 18: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo I have a ipod touch that I have the kindle app on that I started with first then I got the original nook and love that. I use that more than the ipod touch but that is good to keep in my purse when I don't have a book with me. Since I got the nook I've been buying less DT books. And I used to be a bookbuyingholic. so I think buying the nook was the best thing I ever did.

message 19: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Donnajo wrote: "I have a ipod touch that I have the kindle app on that I started with first then I got the original nook and love that. I use that more than the ipod touch but that is good to keep in my purse whe..."
Would you be able to do a review in the groups e reader area for your nook, and if you wantto put one up for the kindle app on your ipod touch (i have got the PC version that i havent used yet, i'll be putting up a review once i have)?
but yes i agree, i find i'm seeking more and more ebooks and less DT books(for those of you who haven't worked it out yet DT= Dead Tree-lol i love that term).

message 20: by Serena (new)

Serena | 33 comments I'm also looking for an e-reader. A kindle is out of the question since I don't live in the states. Does anyone have any other suggestion?

message 21: by Adele, Moderator (new)

there are peopole here in australia who have the kindle (it's not just limited to the states is what i mean).
I'm also looking for another e reader.
Mine Died :o(
the usb port stopped working and well i couldn't charge it with anything.(as i could only charge with usb)and i can't add my new ebooks that i got from allromanceebooks.com :o(

Yet i don't regret a thing.

my ebookreader may have been not the greateset, but i considered my time with it like a fist car. you don't buy your high end stuff first, you buy the lemon and then the high end stuff.

so mine may have been cheap but i got some good use out of it, and now i know what features/functions that i want and need.

message 22: by Serena (new)

Serena | 33 comments Adele wrote: "there are peopole here in australia who have the kindle (it's not just limited to the states is what i mean).
the usb port stopped working a..."

There are no positive feedback (as far as I can find) about the kindle here in Europe. There is always problems involved. So I have my eyes on a Sony. But those will cost me a lot! Hmmm... maybe I can talk bf into giving me one as Christmas/b-day gift....

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) where do you live serena?

message 24: by Serena (new)

Serena | 33 comments Serena wrote: "Adele wrote: "there are peopole here in australia who have the kindle (it's not just limited to the states is what i mean).
the usb port stoppe..."

The Netherlands.

message 25: by Serena (new)

Serena | 33 comments I have my eyes on a Archos 70 7" e-reader.
Does anyone have any experience with this device?

message 26: by C.D. (new)

C.D. Hussey (cdhussey) | 9 comments I LOVE my Kindle. It's so convenient that the idea of lugging around a paper book seems almost...appalling, lol.

I'm sure there are other e-readers that are equally good. I liked the price of the Kindle though, and as a Kindle author, I felt like I should support.

message 27: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Serena wrote: "I have my eyes on a Archos 70 7" e-reader.
Does anyone have any experience with this device?"

Never heard of it! but then again i'd never heard of the brand that my one was and i suppose it turned out ok. Serena maybe you should google it but look for reviews on it.

message 28: by Serena (new)

Serena | 33 comments Adele wrote: "Serena wrote: "I have my eyes on a Archos 70 7" e-reader.
Does anyone have any experience with this device?"

Never heard of it! but then again i'd never heard of the brand that my one was and i..."

Thanks for the advice!

message 29: by Mari (new)

Mari Miniatt (MariMiniatt) | 9 comments We are thinking of getting my son a kindle for college. I still have muscle twinges from when I was in school lugging texts books around. Does anyone know if texts books are available on kindle?

C.D. wrote: "I LOVE my Kindle. It's so convenient that the idea of lugging around a paper book seems almost...appalling, lol.

I'm sure there are other e-readers that are equally good. I liked the price of ..."

message 30: by Adele, Moderator (new)

I'm not sure. i know text books are availible, but i'm not too sure for kindle. i'm guessing that you might be able to. or at least convert them into kindle form.(Once again not too sure). you could always do a search for the individual text books and see if they come in kindle form (that might be the best idea). what about notes your son might want to m,ake in the margins? does kindle do that too?
I wish e readers were invented (yeah that makes me sound really old!) when i was at school. i wouldn't have the back problems i have today thats for sure!

message 31: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments i have a kindle, if you download a free program called calibre, it can in put any file format and turn it into any format.

Ive found another handy program and the best for converting to prc (one of the files kindle supports) is mobi-pocket

its also free but only converts to prc.

it means even if your sons text books arnt available in kindle format, u can buy them, convert them and send them to your kindle.

message 32: by Mari (new)

Mari Miniatt (MariMiniatt) | 9 comments Thanks for that, he wants a full laptop instead. With Calibre he could still get the textbooks.

He decided against the kindle, because he wants to take notes right on the machine.

Nicola wrote: "i have a kindle, if you download a free program called calibre, it can in put any file format and turn it into any format.

Ive found another handy program and the best for converting to prc (one o..."

message 33: by Serena (new)

Serena | 33 comments I have a laptop. How can I read e-books on it??

message 34: by C.D. (new)

C.D. Hussey (cdhussey) | 9 comments @Serena, Kindle has an app for your PC:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html...

message 35: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments you can also get that program i mentioned, calibre. it has a built in reader for the multi files

message 36: by Adele, Moderator (new)

serena for your laptop, if you purchase books make sure they are in PDF file. and you can read them in ADOBE reader. if you purchse from amazon, you can download kindle for PC free. but you will also find borders has a PC program as well. there is heaps of other programs such as calibre(as nicola mentioned. you just have to make sure when you purcase the books that you get it in the right format.

message 37: by Serena (new)

Serena | 33 comments Thanks ladies for all the advices. :-)

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie I use my ipad as my ereader, I like it because i have a separate downloads app, so i can go on sites like epubbud.com and download ebooks directly to my ipad, no computer involved. for books i find as a pdf, i convert it to epub using calibre.

message 39: by Ebere (new)

Ebere | 1 comments I am thinking of getting a samsung galaxy pad. Does anyone have any experience with this device?