For the Fans of G.A. Henty and R.M. Ballantyne discussion

Which is your favorite?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 2 comments So, we have 3 members, but I'm curious: Of all the Henty novels you have read, which is your favorite? I've read about 20 of them and have my favorite. What's yours?

message 2: by Ellise (new)

Ellise (eclairemoon) My favorite is Under Drake's Flag. Something about the buccaneering spirit of the whole thing fills me with adventure. And it's one of the most action-packed.

Second favorite would be the Cat of Bubastes. I've always been in love with the Egyptian culture and that one is just so fun.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 2 comments Wow. You picked a favorite of mine too. Under Drake's Flag! There really is something about ships at sea under full sail and all that swashbuckling that I find particularly appealing, despite knowing how miserable the life really was for the average sailor! The Cat of Bubastes was not an absolute favorite of mine, but ONLY because of 3 or 4 very slow chapters in the 2nd half of the book when they are traveling back to Amubas home. Outside of that it was great. My all time favorite though is By Right of Conquest. 500 Spanish Conquistadors conquer the Aztec Empire estimated at over 500,000. Truly an amazing feat led by an incredibly charismatic leader Hernando Cortez. If we didn't know it actually happened and someone wrote a book telling the story, we would just know it was fiction.

message 4: by Andrew Eddy (new)

Andrew Eddy | 1 comments I have read approx. 35 Henty books, My favorite so far is The Young Buglers. Jack Archer is a close second. Others that are high on my list include: Beric the Britton, In Freedom's Cause, and The Lion of Saint Mark. I bought 20 Henty books and have exhuasted all the libraries near me. I can't wait to read more though, hopefully I can buy more in the near furture.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Verret (blitheringbookster) I have read about 30 Henty books and my favorites are 'Colonel Thorndyke's Secret', 'A Girl of the Commune' and 'Winning His Spurs'.

Close seconds are 'With Lee In Virginia' and 'In the Reign of Terror'.

message 6: by Edward (new)

Edward Waverley | 1 comments I must confess to not having read any Henty yet, but I have no doubt that I will enjoy his books. I recently got a copy of 'With Lee in Virginia' and I will send a report upon reading it.

message 7: by Joel (new)

Joel Reed | 1 comments I've only read nine Henty books so far, but my favorite up to this point is 'In Freedom's Cause'.

message 8: by Ben (new)

Ben | 1 comments I will answer, then see what others have said.
Probably my favourite would be Winning His Spurs. Next would follow Under Drake's Flag and The Tiger of Mysore. I strongly enjoyed A Search For A Secret, and others of his novels. I have read most of his books, and these are the ones that I enjoyed most. Of course, all of his books are excellent, so I cannot say that these are the best, just that I happened to enjoy them the most.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Under Drake's Flag,In Freedom's Cause, and For the Temple.

message 10: by Selah (new)

Selah (maidenselah) | 1 comments St Bartholemew's Eve is definitely one of my top picks! Won by the Sword is another. :)