Terminalcoffee discussion

Politics / Business / Economics > How much does your commute cost?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments My commute back and forth from work now costs about five bucks a day...36 miles, gas around $3.20 a gallon, 22 MPG. Correct or refine my math if you'd like.

How much does your commute cost? I can't take public trans because public trans doesn't go anywhere near my work. FOr those of you on public trans, has the cost changed at all?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments If you are just going by out of pocket for gas costs, mine is around $6.00, but that includes my wife as we ride together. When you factor in tires, oil changes etc. it is around $12.00. We have no available public transportation either.

message 3: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Public transportation would require a walk of several blocks with no sidewalks, and would take about an hour with bus changes. My drive takes about 15 minutes and costs me approximately $5/week for gas.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I walk 4 blocks. It's basically free, except for the food energy I burn up.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Live in a small town, so about $3.00 a day in gas. That includes dropping little one off at babysitter. I have been debating looking for a better job work in a nearby city, which would mean 50 mile/45 min drive.

message 6: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments It would cost $5.00 per day, but my employer foots the bill.

message 7: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I read this title as "how much does your commune cost"...oops! :)

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heard an interesting item on the radio recently that one sector of housing that did not lose value in the housing bubble were properties within walking distance of public transport. They never dropped in value and are now going for much more than comparable properties not within walking distance of public transport.

I've always found this to be an interesting paradox. Pros and cons, depending on the area, you know? On one hand living closer to the city (I'm talking about where I live now) would be less money in gas, less time on a commute, and closer to some of the amenities. On the other hand you've got more expensive houses, less land, closer to crime. I think I've read somewhere that people who move way out into the suburbs spend so much money on gas and lose so much time that any savings they get moving way out there are eliminated by the gas/time costs. I only drive twenty minutes or so to work, and don't hit much traffic, so I don't think about the time issue much. In fact, the four years I taught in town kind of sucked because I was a teacher and working and living in a small town as a teacher sucked because I saw my students and their families everywhere. I couldn't get away. But I get the public transport issue, esp. if you're single and/or live near good schools and safe neighborhoods and don't care about living out further from the city. I grew up in the city so moving away from an urban area was important to me...I didn't hate Chicago, but I wanted to get away for a while.

Oh, and thanks about the category, Buns...heh...I had no idea where to put this thread so I had to start a new category. I stared at the screen way two long before deciding to create the category.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my commute costs me $1.25/day in truck (based on 5 miles / 12mpg / $3.35gal) or $0.325 on my motorcycle (5 miles / 52mpg / $3.35gal) plus i look flippin swag while riding

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24155 comments Mod
Elijah, it's also cheap considering how much commuter trains cost to get into Manhattan from Westchester County, e.g. (where a lot of Manhattan workers live). I remember paying about $7 last time I did that, and I can't even remember if that was round trip or one way, but I think it was one way. And that was using someone else's commuter pass.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24155 comments Mod
CTA (Chicago public transportation, covers buses and subways but not the Metra system) monthly pass is $86. If you figure 22 working days/month, it's $3.90/day.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

My commute costs me $148 for 4 weeks. Which works out at $7.40 per day.

message 13: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments My commute was about $70 a week. Now I fortunately use only my legs to commute.