Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Round | 41 comments Anyone else out there recording their own work?
Julie

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve O'Brien (stevedobrien) | 2 comments Julie,

I had an actor friend record my audiobook. For free BTW. If you have any budding actor or actress acquaintances, you might try them, as they are looking for anything to get on their resumes. The book, Elijah's Coin actually won two awards for spoken book.
The problem with audio is the same as print, getting distribution. Would love to hear from anyone on that topic. I think audible.com requires multiple submissions from publishers. Are there any that will work with indie or small press groups?

message 3: by C.W. (new)

C.W. Johnson | 9 comments You could try Podiobooks.com. You'll have to change the format to what is called 'serialized podcast' but that's cake after you have come this far.
The podcasts go out for free, but it's an incredible source of exposure. My books have been at Podiobooks for only a few months and I've already had nearly 50,000 episode downloads to literally all over the world. I know what you're saying, yeah but they're free and you're saturating the market with your books. Why would anyone buy them? It turns out there are 3 distinct markets for books these days: the audiobook, the eBook and the printed book. If people truly take to your book they usually go looking for other books you've written. They recommend the printed book to friends who aren't into the audio, eBooks for those who have the readers. For more on this, check out anything you can find on Scott Sigler,(not sure on the spelling, but YouTube would pull him up) Michael Sullivan and Nathan Lowell. They are all indie authors who have become successful using this method.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YQ2JEI

message 4: by Deborah (last edited Feb 25, 2011 09:00AM) (new)

Deborah McCarragher (debitsdeb) | 7 comments Steve,

Check into CD Baby. If your book is on audio CD, you can feature it with them for a nominal yearly fee. I have mine on there and have it listed with my paperback & Kindle on Amazon. I'm not selling many of them yet - but for me I suspect I will generate more sales at speaking engagement & other "in person" events.

Mission Possible Spiritual Covering by Deborah L. McCarragher Mission Possible Spiritual Covering

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia | 14 comments Steve wrote: "Julie,

I had an actor friend record my audiobook. For free BTW. If you have any budding actor or actress acquaintances, you might try them, as they are looking for anything to get on their resum..."

Hey, this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie Round | 41 comments Thanks, troops. I'm doing the recording myself - it's the distribution and numbers of copies and prices I was wondering about.
Julie.

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah McCarragher (debitsdeb) | 7 comments Julie,

I did my own narration at a friend of mine's studio who does a variety of things including computer repair, web design, photography, and some recording projects. When we my "part" done, we also added some music and a male voice for some select parts on the CD. I did my replication through Oasis CD. They did a great job and they have many options and price levels to choose from. I elected to have 1,000 CD's made in a DVD case w/ shrink-wrap. My friend, whom I paid, also did the CD & cover design incl. He also did my paperback book cover art. I can't remember just now how much it all cost me - but safe to say it was about $2.50 each including his fees & Oasis CD costs. You can get a price quote on their website. Blessings,

message 8: by Haresh (new)

Haresh Daswani (hmdaswani) | 8 comments Steve wrote: "Julie,

I had an actor friend record my audiobook. For free BTW. If you have any budding actor or actress acquaintances, you might try them, as they are looking for anything to get on their resum..."

Would your friend know other actors willing to record for free? Thanks :)

message 9: by Julie (last edited Mar 16, 2011 08:55AM) (new)

Julie Round | 41 comments I've almost finished the recording, now comes the hard part. Someone suggested Amazon on Line. I need to find out about the production and sales side. I haven't looked on the Oasis site yet.I'm computer phobic and try to find people in the UK.
Julie.

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave | 29 comments I just had a conversation with an old friend today who volunteered to read my audio book. Another friend had raised the idea a week or two ago. I recently published my first book via Booklocker, and honestly hadn't thought about audio books. Now that a few friends have popped the idea into my brain, I'm interested. I've already gotten some good info from looking through this group.

message 11: by Anagha Uppal (new)

Anagha Uppal I'm all for audiobooks. Love loading them onto my ipod and then listening while working or during any free time. :)

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Snyder (emilycasnyder) | 16 comments I've got things all set up to possibly record my book via podcast...but my question is, have people found it helps sales? (Or did I miss the post that answers that?) How about putting up just a part of the book?