Q&A for Printing By Hand discussion

acrylic ink

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

i am confused about what the acrylic ink is. how is this different from screen printing ink and where can i find it? thanks!!

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin | 8 comments Screen printing ink is either acrylic based or oil based. "Plastisol" is the name for oil based screen printing ink. Anything that says "water based" is acrylic. Think fine art paint - acrylic or oils - same thing. I think she addresses this in the book. It is available through Dick Blick, Dharma Trading Company, and various silkscreen suppliers. The most common is Speedball acrylic textile ink and it is available at Hobby Lobby and most art supply stores. Jacquard is an excellent brand available at the more specialty sellers.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 01, 2011 09:39AM) (new)

I am still confused. I don't understand what acrylic ink is, is it the same as acrylic paint? I know what screen printing ink is, I do screen printing all the time. I am curious about the different types of ink I can use with the rubber blocks, and in the book she talks about acrylic ink. I don't know what that is. I have been using block printing ink so far, which is fine. I am just curious about what all the different options are.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin | 8 comments I'm kind of confused now too, I was looking in the Dick Blick catalog, and on the shelf @ Hobby Lobby, and the same brands have "waterbased inks" and "acrylic inks". They are surely one and the same? I guess contacting the manufacturer is the best way to find an answer. I don't know about Jaquard and Speedball (the inks I'm using now) but Golden who produce fine acrylic paints are great for info. I might talk to Dharma Trading Co. too - they are suppliers and very helpful.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

thanks for the advice erin, i will keep searing for answers! :)

back to top