Indonesians Who Love English Books discussion

Places To Get English Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 285 (285 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Farid (new)

Farid Ikhsan (farikhsaba) | 4 comments Hi... I just want to ask, do you read a new book (recently published) or it is included the old and classic book? And perhaps you guys here can tell me where the place to buy such book in our country...

message 2: by Darnia (new)

Darnia | 38 comments Mostly at Kinokuniya Bookstore or Periplus.
Both of those bookstores have a great collection of old and new books. And sometimes, if we're lucky, we could get the popular literatures with the cheaper price (rather than the normal price ones) :D

Sometimes, we could found an old collection of English book in Book Fair. I forget the name of the stand, but they always there....
They always put some coloring circle to pricing the books.

message 3: by Farid (last edited Feb 24, 2011 01:54AM) (new)

Farid Ikhsan (farikhsaba) | 4 comments Darnia wrote: "Mostly at Kinokuniya Bookstore or Periplus."

Where are they? I mean the city...

I forget the name of the stand, but they always there....

I c, i often see a stand like that, but it seems that they are not from jogja (I live in Jogja). However, here in Jogja we have Yusuf Agency who sell second hand book both indonesian book and imported book.

message 4: by Darnia (new)

Darnia | 38 comments Farid wrote: "

Where are they? I mean the city..."

I live in Jakarta. But, I think Periplus not only in this city. Surabaya has it. Maybe, there also Periplus in Jogjakarta... I don't know.
But too bad, Kinokuniya only in Jakarta.

message 5: by Desi (new)

Desi Puspitasari You can go to Malioboro Mall's underground to go to Periplus, stands beside Gramedia bookstore. not a very complete collections for fiction, but it's better than you-get-no-book.

or you can go to Gramedia Sudirman, Yogyakarta. They have 'English ver. book' bookshelf

message 6: by Farid (new)

Farid Ikhsan (farikhsaba) | 4 comments I live in Jakarta. But, I think Periplus not only in this city. Surabaya has it. Maybe, there also Periplus in Jogjakarta... I don't know...."

Okay, thanks in advance

Desi wrote: "You can go to Malioboro Mall's underground to go to Periplus, stands beside Gramedia bookstore. not a very complete collections for fiction, but it's better than you-get-no-book.

or you can go to ..."

Oke.. I see... Poor me for missing such useful information

message 7: by allezn (new)

allezn | 10 comments I think, in Jakarta, there are quite a lot of English bookstores. The four pretty bigs ones are:
Aksara (Kemang, Citos, etc),
Kinokuniya (the one in Plasa Senayan is the biggest),
Periplus (Gandaria City, PIM 1, airports, etc), and
Times (Kemang Village, UPH, etc)

Periplus also can be found in Bandung, Bali, and Balikpapan too, if I'm not mistaken...

For art and/or design books, there are also Basheer at Kemang and Etno Books at Gatot Subroto. :D

Is there any store I miss?

@Darnia: Oh, do you possibly mean The Book Place? I only visited the store once. It's located at Plaza Pondok Indah 2 and not that easy to find, LoL, but it's such a nice place to score some dated books. (I bought my first volume of Lemony Snicket's series of Unfortunate Events there)

@Farid: How is your quest, have you found the books you're looking for?

message 8: by Darnia (new)

Darnia | 38 comments allezn wrote: "@Darnia: Oh, do you possibly mean The Book Place? I only visited the store once. It's located at Plaza Pondok Indah 2 and not that easy to find, LoL, but it's such a nice place to score some dated books. (I bought my first volume of Lemony Snicket's series of Unfortunate Events there."

I'm not sure about the name. It's something named with double "B" for the initial. I've found some of the book collections sell at Gunung Agung Book Store. But mostly, I've found the booth only at book fair.

message 9: by Vasilisa (new)

Vasilisa | 23 comments Surabaya have Periplus, but i cant manage the price (since the novel i buy was from my own money, and Periplus price is usualy 100rb up) so did anyone know some? in Surabaya? Gramedia is popular, TGA too, but mybe somekind of a bit cheaper? such as Togamas n Uranus.

Note: i read YA books, new unfortunately..

message 10: by P (new)

P (p_ka) Farid wrote: "Darnia wrote: "Mostly at Kinokuniya Bookstore or Periplus."

Where are they? I mean the city...

I forget the name of the stand, but they always there....

I c, i often see a stand like that, but ..."

Hey, can you tell me where's Yusuf Agency? thanx

message 11: by Darnia (new)

Darnia | 38 comments @ Farid and Allezn : The booth name is "BOOK BOS"

message 12: by P (new)

P (p_ka) Darnia wrote: "@ Farid and Allezn : The booth name is "BOOK BOS""

oowh, I'm sorry. I did replied the wrong comment :D

message 13: by P (new)

P (p_ka) Farid wrote "However, here in Jogja we have Yusuf Agency who sell second hand book both indonesian book and imported book."

can you tell me where's Yusuf Agency? thanx

message 14: by Farid (new)

Farid Ikhsan (farikhsaba) | 4 comments Panggih wrote: "can you tell me where's Yusuf Agency? thanx"

Do you know Social Agency Baru near UIN Jogja (Jl. Laksda Adisutcipto)? it is just located between the bridge (Gajahwong River) and Social agency baru, on the south side of the road.

message 15: by Fairlita (new)

Fairlita | 10 comments Last time, I bought my english books at QB World (Jakarta) in Kemang area. If we can't find what we're looking for, we can even order it and they will definitely follow-up our orders. Several times they did call me to let me know my books had arrived. Nice, isn't it?
Newstand (hopefully I remember the name correctly) at Pasar Festival (again, in Jakarta) is my best spot of bargain hunter. The used books (AND mags) they've got, what an array!

message 16: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Rachel (rachelhadeli) | 698 comments Mod
Have you guys tried www.bookdepository.com? They have almost everything there (all the books I'm interested in, that's for sure). And it usually arrives within 2 weeks.

But I guess if you're looking for a place in Indonesia, Kinokuniya in PS is your best bet. It's big, and they do have a lot of choices, hehe.

message 17: by Fairlita (new)

Fairlita | 10 comments BookDepository: oh yes, bought from them a couple of times myself.:-) But anyway i think in the end it's just the same thing with Amazon, no big difference. Although obviously, it would be rather complicated if one doesn't have credit card nor the likes.

message 18: by Aisa (new)

Aisa (aisa_tios) | 9 comments I always bought them at Kinokuniya PS. Sometimes I ordered the books but it took approximately 6 weeks for the books to arrive here so it's quite a torture :(

message 19: by allezn (new)

allezn | 10 comments Guys, apparently there's a promo over at Gramedia Mall Ambassador. Diskon 30% Buku Import Pilihan, selama 15 April - 15 Mei 2011 di TB. Trimedia Ambasador

Sumber: AdaDiskon (via fanpage Gramedia di FB)

I haven't checked it out yet myself. Oh, but I did check out the new Periplus outlets @Kem Chics Kemang and @Tarogong. At both places, until 1 May 2011, you can get 10% disc off all books (non-member) and 20% off (member).

@Darnia: Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for them. :)

@Fairlita & Rachel: Oh, wow, I didn't know about Newstand. Are there many variations of used books/mags there, or they mostly have the popular titles only?

I want to try buying from Book Depository sometimes, but I'm not sure about the system. So there's really no shipping charge? But we still have to pay for custom tax or something, right?

message 20: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

@allezn: It's true, there's no shipping charge. I'm not sure about the custom tax though. I just ordered another book a couple of days ago, I'll look into it for you :)

message 21: by allezn (new)

allezn | 10 comments Oh wow, thanks! I hope your book order come soon, I bet you are excited for it(? them?) to arrive. ;)

message 22: by Aisa (new)

Aisa (aisa_tios) | 9 comments Can you give me any information about www.bookdepository.com? So if I order books from them, the cost will be the exact price they put on the pricetag? Without any addition?

Have you compared the price with Kino or Times before?

Thank's!

message 23: by Vernasia (new)

Vernasia | 1 comments Rini wrote: "I live in Bandung. I've ever bought import books in Omuniuum, Reading Lights, and Gramedia Merdeka (import section).
But mostly, I bought them from online shops:)"

Hi Rini. When u said online shops, did u refer to Amazon.com and the likes? Did the books arrive at your doorstep? Or did u have to collect them somewhere else? Any minimum order?

I used to live in Jakarta n SG, so finding English books was a breeze. Now that I live in Manado, which suffers from a scarcity of imported books, I'm considering of buying them online.

message 24: by Judith (new)

Judith Tirza | 2 comments In surabaya we only have Periplus. Unfortunately they don't have complete collection of my kinds of books :P

message 25: by Ayu (new)

Ayu Saptaningtyas (ayusaptaningtyas) | 1 comments Try books-centre.com to find imported used books online. Their collection is quite impressive I think and the price is freakishly cheap. Also you don't need credit card since they receive payment via bank account transfer. Been my favourite. :)

message 26: by Judith (new)

Judith Tirza | 2 comments Wow thanks! :)

message 27: by Aisa (new)

Aisa (aisa_tios) | 9 comments Thank you! :)

message 28: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Allezn, Aisa:

There's no other charges incurred guys. You pay exactly what it says on the price tag; free shipping and no tax. I hardly go to the Times bookstore because I feel the books there are limited, but I've compared prices with Kino. Bookdepository.com is cheaper, sometimes by a whole lot, sometimes just slightly. Depends on the book. Even better, you get to shop from the comforts of your own home, haha. It takes roughly 48 hours for your order to be processed (not including public holidays and weekends) and after its shipped, it'll take around 2 weeks to arrive. Hope that helps :)

message 29: by Aisa (new)

Aisa (aisa_tios) | 9 comments Yes, Times bookstore has pretty limited collections. I love Kinokuniya but sometimes I find the price is a little bit more expensive than I expect. I am a bit wary with online shopping but I have tried bookdepository (two books for a first buy) and hopefully, the price and the service will be what I expect! Thank's again!

message 30: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (last edited May 21, 2011 10:07PM) (new)

Lynossa | 485 comments Mod
I use TBD several times and the only downfall is it takes almost a month before the book arrives. If you're in hurry I suggest try to find it in Kinokuniya, Periplus, Times Bookstore or any other bookstore, but if you're not in hurry, TBD is the best.
I just bought The Portable Door by Tom Holt, I've been searching this book in Indonesia for years until I stumbled upon it in TBD. Btw, TBD has 10% discount for its member until end of May :)

message 31: by Aisa (new)

Aisa (aisa_tios) | 9 comments It's worse if you ordered your book through Kinokuniya. It takes almost one and half months (6 weeks, maybe more). So for me, 2 or 3 weeks is quick enough! (if the book your want to buy is not readily available!) :) Haha.

message 32: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Yes, sometimes Kinokuniya's prices are quite outrageous. But when I'm desperate, I still buy it. I love going to Kinokuniya store though. So many books, so many choices. lol. But I feel the same way when I'm ordering online, haha. I hope bookdepository works well for you :)

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna O.P. (aelissa) Hey thanks for the info on TBD!

I get most of my English books from Kinokuniya, Amazon.com, and from a friend in the US (always second-hand copies though!). I love reading in Times but the prices are unbelievable! In Kinokuniya, if you're lucky, you can find more than one editions of the same book, thus you can choose the best price. I think for classics, the Wordsworth Editions are the most cost effective.

message 34: by Coqueline (new)

Coqueline | 264 comments If you like classics, you can get most of them for free in ebooks form.

message 35: by Anna (new)

Anna O.P. (aelissa) Ah yes, ebooks. Gotta love them too for the classics. I usually still print them out though, I don't like reading on a screen. Never feels the same as holding the hard copy.

message 36: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (last edited May 23, 2011 08:25AM) (new)

Lynossa | 485 comments Mod
I'm collecting Wordsworth Classic and actually I hold a reading challenge for classic in my blog of anyone interested in join in.

TBD is better than amazon for outside US, at least we don't need to pay the expensive shipping cost and you could find many titles that aren't available in Indonesia :)

message 37: by Coqueline (new)

Coqueline | 264 comments If you want to shop from Amazon, try to compare the shipping price between Amazon.com, and co.uk Most of the time, the shipping cost from Amazon.co.uk is cheaper than US, even though the book is slightly more expensive.

message 38: by Matthews M. (new)

Matthews M. (porkhunter) | 28 comments i shop at periplus.

periplus plaza senayan and plaza indonesia (jakarta)
periplus bandara soekarno hatta (tangerang)
periplus summarecon mall serpong (tangerang selatan)
periplus bandara ngurah rai and galeria (bali)

i shop at aksara kemang and plaza indonesia (jakarta)

i shop at kinokuniya plaza senayan (jakarta)

for second hand books, i shop at omuniuum and reading lights (bandung). i even enjoy the privilege of getting discounts at omuniuum. i lost my membership card from reading lights so there goes my benefits...

some other imported books, i shop at gramedia. but i seldom do.

message 39: by Asfarian (new)

Asfarian | 20 comments There is no bookstore in Bogor have great collection of books. Gramedia once have a nice collection of Popular Illustrated Classic Series, with a reasonable price (15.000-30.000 IDR). Sadly, now it is gone.

I once bought one books from Amazon.co.uk. The books had been delivered safely just in two weeks. But the shipping cost is horrible, more expensive than the price of the book itself.

Now, mainly, I go to Periplus and Kinokuniya Plaza Senayan to get books I want to read. I want to apply membership to Periplus, but it is way too expensive.

message 40: by Asfarian (new)

Asfarian | 20 comments FYI, for you who lived in Bogor. This month, CV Dahara (owner of books-center.com) held a secondhand books exhibition in Gramedia Ekalokasari. The price is between 15.000 IDR - 115.000 IDR. :D

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna O.P. (aelissa) Asfarian, do you live in Bogor? I do, too! =) Sadly we don't have a bookstore that has a decent collection of imported books.

Coqueline, thanks for the tip about Amazon UK!

message 42: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Asfarian, I was lucky enough to get a membership at Periplus on my birthday, during which my sister allowed me to purchase anything I want; I bought a book set and it was enough to enable me to apply for it ;)

But periplus currently has this BNI promo going on right? 15% off books? It's a bigger discount than the membership one.

message 43: by Asfarian (new)

Asfarian | 20 comments Rachel wrote: "Asfarian, I was lucky enough to get a membership at Periplus on my birthday, during which my sister allowed me to purchase anything I want; I bought a book set and it was enough to enable me to app..."

Wow, I wish I have a luck like that on my birthday :D. Sadly, I prefer not to have credit card, so I cannot get the BNI promo.

message 44: by Matthews M. (new)

Matthews M. (porkhunter) | 28 comments the way i see it, a lot of us who love to read books (imported, that is), do not have / can not afford the privilege of being a member of something to get the discounts.

and you know what: a lot of people who can afford the privileges/memberships, do not spend their time reading books!

how ironic.

message 45: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Maybe we should make this goodreads bookclub SO BIG that bookstores in Indonesia will start to take notice. Then we'll barter for discounts. haha.

*wishful thinking

message 46: by Sereisa (new)

Sereisa (sereisamiel) | 3 comments Rini wrote: "I live in Bandung. I've ever bought import books in Omuniuum, Reading Lights, and Gramedia Merdeka (import section).
But mostly, I bought them from online shops:)"

I live in Bnadung as well, and often go to Reading LIghts for books. It's a very nice place, don't you think? You guys should check it out.

message 47: by Matthews M. (new)

Matthews M. (porkhunter) | 28 comments @Rachel:
Good point! If our number is so big, with combined buying potential so huge, bookstores will start noticing us and of course will give out promotions or discounts etc. The question is: how can we be bigger?

@Sereisa:
Reading Lights is cool. I went there for book browsing and the drip coffee. Books and coffee.. Yum!
Another place I frequently visist is Omuniuum at Ciumbuleuit. For books and shirts. Been to Omuniuum since like... 9 years? Of course that day they were in a different address.

message 48: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

First of all, we should start reading something together. My fault that we didn't get to read Room for this month's read because I was MIA for a month. We should start brainstorming for another book for July's read.

And then, we should make events. Meet up as a group, watch movie adaptations of books that we've read together. Well at least that's a start :p

message 49: by Enci (new)

Enci | 28 comments There's Periplus in Bandung too. It's in Setiabudhi Supermarket (the last time i checked, but i've been MIA from Bandung for more than a year). I used to buy new books there (cheaper than Kino usually), and can also phone order books from Kinokuniya Plaza Senayan (i did it once, only need to add the courier service price, around 11 thousand rups at that time to the book's price). E-book from Project Gutenberg (all classic). Beside Reading Light and Omu, you can also strolled around Palasari and Cikapundung, if you're lucky you can find great books with huge bargain price

message 50: by Matthews M. (new)

Matthews M. (porkhunter) | 28 comments Palasari? Wasn't it burnt down a couple of years ago?

Cikapundung is fine for book hunting if you don't mind the heat and the traffic and the crowd. At least that's what I remember from my book hunt there.. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6