Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

RRR Discussions & Top-Lists > Heroine disguised as male?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (last edited Mar 03, 2011 11:32PM) (new)

Annie (bookhaulin) | 12 comments It's a favorite theme of mine. :)
I've already read Duchess By Night (Desperate Duchesses, #3) by Eloisa James and Gentle Rogue (Johanna Lindsey) and I was wondering if there were more good books with this theme?
Thanks much in advance!

Edit; Forgot to mention some more I'd already read.
-Sins of a Wicked Duke (Sophie Jordan)
-Moonstruck Madness (Laurie McBain)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Just Imagine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Just Imagine (Revised) (Formerly Titled,"Risen Glory") by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19340 comments The Switch by Lynsay Sands by Lynsay Sands
The Masqueraders (Harlequin Single Title) by Georgette Heyer by Georgette Heyer (one of my favourite books!)
Will keep thinking in the meantime... :)

message 4: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn | 0 comments Wow, I think that is one that I have not come across yet.

Interesting.

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) | 67 comments I second The Switch. Also check out Seduced by Virginia Henley , Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss , Lord Harry (Regency, #3) by Catherine Coulter

message 6: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19340 comments I'll be checking out these recs as well. I love this sort of story (assuming it is done well) :)

message 7: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19340 comments Just thought of another one: Ransom My Heart by Meg Cabot by Meg Cabot

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie (bookhaulin) | 12 comments I think I'll start with Lord Harry. :D TBR just growing and growing.
Thanks guys!

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) | 67 comments Good luck!

message 10: by Katharina (new)

Katharina | 802 comments These are my 5 star reads for this theme.
In no particular order:

Velvet Song (Montgomery, #4) by Jude Deveraux by Jude Deveraux
I read this book before I started to keep track of my reads and rate them (at least 10 years ago I think) and I still remember parts of the book. It also has an unusual love scene. It's part of the Velvet series and they were all great reads.

Night Storm (Night Trilogy, #3) by Catherine Coulter by Catherine Coulter
This is the last book in a trilogy. I loved all 3 books but Night Storm was my favorite. It would also fit into the March Featured Author Challenge.

The Rogue and the Hellion (Rogue Trilogy, #1) by Connie Mason by Connie Mason
This is the best Connie Mason book I read so far. Again part of a trilogy (#1). The rest of the trilogy wasn't quite as good though.

Enjoy

message 11: by Katharina (new)

Katharina | 802 comments Found another book that fits this theme. This one was a 4 star read for me.

Dark of the Moon by Karen Robards

This book takes mostly place in Ireland so it would fit into # 7 category of the March Monthly Reading Challenge.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 634 comments These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer is a good choice.

You might also try this site as a reference. Most of the books are a regency type setting, but you can browse by plot device, location, etc.

Heroines disguised as males are definitely a favorite of mine, too, Annie! : )

message 13: by colleen (new)

colleen (colleenfl) | 458 comments I love this theme. I'll be checking out the ones that I haven't read yet.

message 14: by Wan (last edited Mar 02, 2011 02:01PM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 2081 comments I love The Prince of Midnight by Laura Kinsale by Laura Kinsale. -- The heroine was disguised as a young male but she didn't fool our hero. -- This is the new edition's cover. Much more appealing than Fabio edition, I got.

message 15: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19340 comments Amanda wrote: "These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer is a good choice.

You might also try this site as a reference. Most of the books are a regency type setting, but you can browse by plot device, lo..."

*Slap in the head* - How could I overlook These Old Shades??!! Love this book!

I'm off to check out The Prince of Midnight and Amanda's site now... :)

message 16: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3546 comments For those of you who enjoy young adult novels, Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness series involves a young girl who pretends to be a man so she can train to be a knight. Very well written and more than enjoyable.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4260 comments Another Georgette Heyer book is The Masqueraders The Masqueraders (Harlequin Single Title) by Georgette Heyer This is another good one of hers.

message 18: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (casswish) I googled it, and a goodreads shelf came up with books from that theme! http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/w...

message 19: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1381 comments If I'm not mistaken The Conquest (Peregrine, #2) by Jude Deveraux fits the bill!

message 20: by Annie (new)

Annie (bookhaulin) | 12 comments Cassie wrote: "I googled it, and a goodreads shelf came up with books from that theme! http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/w..."

It only has 13 books though, and I've read most of them (Tamora Pierce!), but great idea! There're probably bigger shelves with this theme tucked away somewhere. I named my own gender-benders *scuttles to search goodreads*.

message 21: by Barbara ★ (last edited Mar 08, 2011 02:39PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3546 comments Someone posted this link in another group (I think) and I found it a terrific resource for finding books by topic.
search almost any romance topic here

message 22: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 79 comments Bloody Jack Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer by L.A. Meyer, Alanna The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce by Tamora Pierce, and The Education of Bet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted by Lauren Baratz-Logsted are three books that came to my mind. If I think of any more I'll post them!

message 23: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 79 comments Found two more: Sovay by Celia Rees by Celia Rees and Soldier's Secret The Story of Deborah Sampson by Sheila Solomon Klass by Sheila Solomon Klass.

message 24: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Schneider (triciaschneider) | 203 comments I just finished reading From This Moment On (De Piaget, #9) by Lynn Kurland by Lynn Kurland. The heroine is trying to escape an unwanted marriage so she disguises herself as a knight. This had me up until 2am! Loved it! I'm thrilled to have found this thread and would love to see if anyone has more suggestions for this theme. :)

message 25: by Ty (last edited Nov 27, 2012 05:21AM) (new)

Ty  | 1943 comments er, I hate to aid necrobumping, but I do love this theme.

Lady Of The Knight by Jackie Ivie

LOVED this book. medieval, heroine is a master archer and hero "kidnaps" her into his service. He becomes conflicted and starts questioning his "preferences" when he finds himself completely fascinated by her legs. Amusing yet deeply emotional at times.