MobileRead Book Challenges discussion

2011 Individual Challenges > Christa's Challenge (Eatloveread/CWatkinsNash)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 23, 2011 03:24PM) (new)

The Tickers

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 20, 2011 04:29PM) (new)

The Books

1. Highland Sinner (Murray Family, #18) by Hannah Howell 4/5, completed 1/2/11
My Review

2. The End of Marking Time by C.J. West 5/5, completed 1/9/11
My Review Note: I marked it with a spoiler warning. I don't think there are actual spoilers in my review but I really feel one gets the most from this book by not having any preconceptions about it. I even feel the summary here at Goodreads is too detailed.

3. Slytherin's Heiress (fanfiction.net) by Slytherinsal - (Placeholder on shelf is True Blue: Police Stories by Those Who Have Lived Them) Interesting HP fanfic. There were some issues but the story was enough to keep me reading all the way through. It's a revision of Fourth Year, introducing an original character who is the focus. This is Book I, I'm about to start reading Book II: Surfeit of Malfoys.

4. Surfeit of Malfoys (fanfiction.net) by Slytherinsal - Book II in the series that started with Slytherin's Heiress. (Placeholder on shelf is A Cop's Life) Like the first part, there were some issues but the author is a good storyteller, which kept me interested. Book III is in progress, but as I don't read them till they are complete, it will be awhile till I read it.

5. Breathless by Dean Koontz 2/5, completed 1/26/11
MyReview - It's a stinker, but one-star reviews are reserved for books too horrible to finish, and I managed to finish this one. Somehow.

6. Serendipity House by Joyce DeBacco 5/5, completed 1/27/11
My Review I really liked this one!

7. The Necromancer by Pamela M. Richter 3/5. completed 2/6/11
My Review An interesting book that started out rough but got better - I really enjoyed the last half.

8. Ripping the Bodice by Inara Lavey 4/5, completed 2/7/11
I don't feel like posting an actual review, but it was a fun read.

9. Sweetie by Kathryn Magendie 5/5, finished 2/9/11
MyReview A really great novel. I'm not sure how to follow this one.

10. The Bride Wore Spurs by Sharon Ihle 4/5, finished 2/13/11
My (rather short) Review, - a very enjoyable historical romance.

11. Deadworld by Bryan Smith 4/5, finished 2/20/11
My Review - Awesome apocalyptic horror set in mostly in Nashville. I'm going to read more from this author.

12. Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher 4/5, finished 2/23/11
My Review I enjoyed it so much, I went straight into the 2nd book in the series.

13. Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher 4/5, finished 3/29/11
No review on this one, but I enjoyed it. As you can see, I took a bit of a break to work on music but I'm back to reading more again.

14. Compromised Hearts by Hannah Howell 4/5, finished 4/3/11
Another great historical romance from Hannah Howell.

15. Kentucky Bride by Hannah Howell 4/5, finished 4/4/11
Yet another great... see above. :-)

16. Beauty and the Beast by Hannah Howell 4/5, finished 4/7/11

17. Seducing the Hermit by Suz deMello 4/5, finished 4/8/11
My short review. A quick enjoyable erotic romance.

18, 19, 20. Just One Bite (Just One Bite, #1) by Scarlet Blackwell Just One Bite (Volume 2) by Victoria Blisse Just One Bite (Volume 3) by Rachel Carrington (Vols 1-3) All 4/5 stars, finished 4/9/11 - 4/10/11.
These were of varying lengths, with the shortest being 63pp, but my page average is high enough I think I'm entitled to count a couple of shorties. :) Fun supernatural erotica & romance anthologies. Vol 1 is gay erotica, Vol 2 is hetero erotica, and Vol 3 is pretty much romance with some sweet stories but not the "action" of the first two. A well rounded collection when taken together.

21. Dates From Hell by Kim Harrison 4/5, finished 4/12/11
A fun collection of four novellas.

22. Yours For Eternity by Hannah Howell 4/5, finished 4/17/11
Great trio of PNR novellas.

23. As the Crow Flies by Dave Hutchinson 5/5, finished 4/17/11
Fantastic collection of British speculative fiction short stories from a great author. Highly recommended.

24. When Darkness Comes (Guardians of Eternity, #1) by Alexandra Ivy 4/5, finished 4/18/11
Great paranormal romance, very close to 5 stars. And oooh, Dante is so hot. *sigh* Just steamy enough, with plenty of adventure and story. Heroine was not annoying, which is a big plus in this genre.

25. The Black Garden by Joe Bright 5/5, finished 4/20/11
Amazing! My short review.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited May 28, 2011 12:19PM) (new)

The Books Part II

26. Skipped Parts (GroVont Trilogy, #1) by Tim Sandlin 5/5, finished 4/22/11
MyReview - I loved this book!!!

27. Sentence of Marriage by Shayne Parkinson 5/5, finished 4/24/11
Holy cow, what an amazing novel!! I'm off to read the next one right now.

28. Mud and Gold (Promises to Keep, Book 2) by Shayne Parkinson 5/5, finished 4/25/11
Fantastic second book in the Promises to Keep trilogy. As you can guess, I must start the third book immediately. They go right from one book to another.

29. Settling the Account (Promises to Keep, Book 3) by Shayne Parkinson 5/5, finished 4/28/11
Wow! Just as amazing as the first two books, if not moreso. Ms. Parkinson also has a sequel to the trilogy. Guess what I'm reading next!

30. Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) by Jim Butcher 4/5, finished 5/1/11
Definitely a turning point in the series. Harry's got new powers and Susan is rather, um, changed also. Michael is an interesting character, but I sometimes find him annoying.

31. 1984 by George Orwell 3/5, sort of finished 5/3/11

32. One Lucky Cowboy (Lucky, #2) by Carolyn Brown 4/5, finished 5/4/11
Sweet romantic suspense... with a cowboy. Winning recipe in my book, pun intended.

33. A Second Chance by Shayne Parkinson 4/5, finished 5/6/11
My Review - another excellent book from Parkinson.

34. Sorrow Floats (GroVont Trilogy, #2) by Tim Sandlin 5/5, finished 5/11/11
My Review

35. Blood Is Red by Scott Sigler 4/5, finished 5/12/11
Nice collection of short stories. I wasn't crazy about the last one but I really enjoyed the others.

36. Short Erotic Tales 1 by Carl East 2/5, finished 5/13/11
Let's just say that I won't be seeking out Short Erotic Tales 2.

37. Ecstasy by Bella Andre 4/5, finished 5/14/11
A quick, fun (and steamy) read.

38. Braided Desire by J.C. Szot 4/5, finished 5/15/11
Woooo dat was hawt! Rawr.

39. Machine Lust Black Copper by Michelle Marquis 4/5, finished 5/15/11
Also included in this entry is Switchblade: Machine Lust 2, also 4/5 stars. (They were novellas that add up to one book if put together, so that's what I did.)
Hawt android lovin'.

40. Scorched Earth by Michelle Marquis 4/5, finished 5/16/11
Similar to above, but with hawt genetically engineered man.

41. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins 5/5, finished 5/17/11
Excellent!!

42. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins 5/5, finished 5/18/11
Wow, lots of things I didn't see coming. Naturally I've already started the third book. :)

43. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins 4/5, finished 5/19/11
Again, lots of things I didn't see coming. This book suffered from some issues, but I still enjoyed it very much.

44. One Fine Cowboy by Joanne Kennedy 3/5, finished 5/20/11

45. Cowboy Trouble by Joanne Kennedy 3/5, finished 5/21/11

46. Three to Play  by Kris Cook 3.5/5, finished 5/22/11

47. Babysitting the Baumgartners (Baumgartners, #1) by Selena Kitt 4/5, finished 5/22/11
Plot? What plot? LOL Okay, I think I'm smutted out for a while.

48. A Taste Of Fire by Hannah Howell 3/5, finished 5/23/11
My Review

49. Starvation Heights A True Story of Murder and Malice in the Woods of the Pacific Northwest by Gregg Olsen 4/5, finished 5/27/11

50. Human Nature by Jason Halstead 3/5, finished 5/28/11

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 31, 2011 01:18PM) (new)

51. Found by Kimber Chin 4/5, finished 5/29/11
MyReview

52. Blushing Cheeks - Volume One by Carolyn Faulkner 3/5, finished 5/29/11

53. The Geek Job by Eve Langlais 4/5, finished 5/29/11
This was short (about 140pgs), but my entry includes a Cynthia Sax short and a couple of others that I'm counting all together under this entry.

54. Backstage Pass (Sinners on Tour #1) by Olivia Cunning 4/5, finished 5/31/11

55. This Will Not Look Good on My Resume by Jass Richards 3/5, finished 6/3/11
My Review

56. Cinnamon (Shooting Stars, #1) by V.C. Andrews 3/5, finished 6/4/11

57. Ice (Shooting Stars, #2) by V.C. Andrews 3/5, finished 6/5/11

58. Marrying Miss Shylo by Sharon Ihle 4/5, finished 6/12/11

59. Absolute Trouble by Michele Albert 4/5, finished 6/18/11
My Review

60. Flawless by Kimber Chin 4/5, finished 7/7/11

61. Fortune's Deception (Fortune Series #1) by Karen Erickson 3/5, finished 7/9/11

62. Alien Rule (The Kalquor/Earth Saga, #2) by Tracy St. John 3/5, finished 7/13/11

63. Maid for the Billionaire by Ruth Cardello 4/5, finished a 8/15/11

64. The Traveling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon 5/5, finished 9/27/11

65. Annalisa's Highway Blues by David Reichart 4/5, finished 6/22/11 (yeah, out of order. I missed it somehow.)

66. Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King 5/5, finished 10/5/11.
My Review

67. Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne 5/5, finished 10/8/11
My Review

68. Anything Can Be Dangerous by Matt Hults 4/5, finished 10/9/11

69. Husk by Matt Hults 4/5, finished 10/10/11

70. Rose (Shooting Stars, #3) by V.C. Andrews 3/5, finished 10/11/11

71. Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher 5/5, finished 10/13/11

72. Gerald's Game by Stephen King 4/5, finished 10/20/11

73. The Devil's Alphabet by Daryl Gregory 5/5, finished 10/22/11

74. Dismember by Daniel Pyle 3/5, finished 10/28/11

75. Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne 4/5, finished 10/30/11

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 27, 2011 08:54PM) (new)

76. Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher 4/5 finished 11/12/11

77. Honey (Shooting Stars, #4) by V.C. Andrews 3/5, finished 11/16/11

78. Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6) by Jim Butcher 5/5, finished 11/26/11

79. Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill 4/5, finished 11/28/11

80. 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill 4/5, finished 12/1/11

81. Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher 5/5, finished 12/5/11

82. Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) by Kevin Hearne 3/5, finished 12/7/11

83. Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8) by Jim Butcher 4/5, finished 12/15/11

84. Death Rhythm by Joel Arnold 3/5, finished 12/20/11

85. Fetal Bait Apocalypse; 3 Collections in 1 by Joel Arnold 4/5, finished 12/22/11

86. White Night (The Dresden Files, #9) by Jim Butcher 5/5, finished 12/25/11

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 23, 2011 03:26PM) (new)

The Conversation Thus Far...

Care : 220,000 pages this year?! Or is it for more than this year?
Christa : No particular time frame, but *definitely* longer than a year. I just screwed up the ticker title and forgot to fix it. :) I just wanted something more than 100 books to go for. I figured it would be interesting to see how it goes. Hopefully I'll get there before Tickerfactory goes out of business.
MrsJoseph : Have you ever read the Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler? I thought I saw somewhere on MR that you wanted a sci-fi, dystopian, real earth post apocalyptic romance. It doesn't quite have all of that, but there it is based on a close future earth, its post apocalyptic, it's dystopian and there is a tiny amount of romance. :)

Christa : I haven't read it yet but it's on my wishlist. I was going to buy that title and another Butler novel (Lilith's Brood), but if you look at my shelves here you'll see that I've got well over three hundred unread books - I really can't justify buying another until I've read some more. Right now I'm only downloading must-have freebies or really good bargains. I really really want that book though.

If I'm really good, I might buy it for myself as a Valentine's Day present. (By "good" I mean if I don't cave and buy any more books before then.)

MrsJoseph : :) I know that feeling. When was the last time you purchased?

Christa : I bought two from Kobo last weekend because I had two 30% off coupon codes I hadn't used yet. Got Death By Misadventure: 210 Dumb Ways to Die and Starvation Heights: A True Story of Murder and Malice in the Woods of the Pacific Northwest for a total of $6.75. The true crime thread inspired me, I guess. :) Those are my only two purchases in probably two or three weeks. All my other acquisitions in that time have been freebies.

It wasn't until last night when I organized my books here onto genre shelves that I realized the extent of my collection. The number in Calibre is actually over 500, but over 100 of those are short stories and several others are random things I somehow ended up with. The ones I have on here are actually candidates to get read at some point. It's weird, but in Calibre they're like abstract numbers; putting them here made them more like real books somehow.

MrsJospeh : I have purchased something like 16-17 books in the last week. :( Fictionwise is having a 50% off sale (the last time I purchased so much was during their 60% off sale) and I have been buying some indie authors. I bought Shrine of the Desert Mage, The Gods of Dream (MR author), The Voyage of the Minotaur and The Dark and Forbidding Land (MR author). I need to slam the breaks. I have other things to do with my money! Hubbie told me I need to stop buy Indie authors (I complained a bit while reading Minotaur) - I need to stop buying period.
Christa : Oooh, you should not have told me about the Fictionwise sale! Must resist! LOL

Mrs. Joseph : lol! I know the feeling. He started laughing when I told him about this latest sale. He knows me too well.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Y'all probably think I'm crazy for re-doing my thread, but I was having "poster's remorse" because I didn't reserve any spots to keep the book lists together. (Planning to list 25 per post, possible more or less on the 4th book list post.) Care was kind enough to delete the old one for me.

As you can see, I preserved all conversation that was posted, and please don't think I want to discourage comments - feel free to post anything you like in my thread. :) (Where else would MrsJ and I discuss our book addictions?? Seriously, read that conversation - it sounds like we're due for an intervention.) I've got my spots reserved for future housekeeping, so I'm happy now.

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I'm reading Ripping the Bodice right now, lol! It has its fun moments but I'm not a fan of the day dreams nor of the "love triangle."

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

MrsJoseph wrote: "I'm reading Ripping the Bodice right now, lol! It has its fun moments but I'm not a fan of the day dreams nor of the "love triangle.""

Yeah, it was fun and light, and I admit I skimmed many of the day dream sequences. They seemed to really slow down things so I just skipped over them. But it was a nice quick "filler" book.

I'm working on other pasttimes and projects at the moment so my reading has slowed down considerably. I even changed my challenge to 50 books to take some of the pressure off. LOL Over the years I've learned to be flexible with my personal goals.

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I skipped most of the daydreams, too. They did slow it down and they were annoying as well. I actually am writing a review because I'm reading at work and I have a pen & pad handy. I should never read like this because I get pages and pages filled with eyeball rolling notes, lol.

The story is light and fun but I think I would have enjoyed it more without the daydreams and my pad. LOL

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL Make sure you note each time you feel like slapping the "heroine".

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Christa wrote: "LOL Make sure you note each time you feel like slapping the "heroine"."

LOL! I was thinking about making a "Cobalt Blue Eyes" drinking game... I'd be well done by now.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Updated list on 4/22 - finally started a new post since I'm into the second group of 25. Yay!

message 14: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Blake (caleb72) | 437 comments Woohoo! I think that deserves a toast. I just made a nice pear cordial yesterday which tastes a bit like perry when mixed with soda water. I'll raise a glass to you later.

I haven't got to 20 yet, but I think I will in the next day or so as the book I'm reading is flowing really well.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Caleb wrote: "Woohoo! I think that deserves a toast. I just made a nice pear cordial yesterday which tastes a bit like perry when mixed with soda water. I'll raise a glass to you later.

I haven't got to 20 ye..."

Oooh, that sounds delicious! Thanks! :) You'll catch up to me before you know it.

Now, what to read next? Too many to choose from. I would start Dresden #3 but I'm waiting for Mrs. J to tell me she's ready to read it. Kind of like mini book club.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Loosheesh wrote: "Congrats on reaching a new level! I'd offer a toast also but I only have water, though I have effervescent Vit C tabs to drop in there if you're just interested in the 'fizz', lol."

LOL Thanks! I'm thinking about cracking open a Riesling. I just wanted to get enough of the laundry done first so that there's no risk of me taking a header down the basement steps. That always ruins a buzz. :D

message 17: by Caleb (last edited Apr 23, 2011 06:20PM) (new)

Caleb Blake (caleb72) | 437 comments LOL Thanks! I'm thinking about cracking open a Riesling. I just wanted to get enough of the laundry done first so that there's no risk of me taking a header down the basement steps. That always ruins a buzz. :D

Death by laundry.

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Caleb, that sounds delicious!

When do you want to start #3?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

When do you want to start #3?"

I'll have this current book (Sentence of Marriage) done by sometime tomorrow, so I'll be ready tomorrow night or Monday. Just let me know.

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 23, 2011 07:23PM) (new)

Death by laundry.

LOL I can think of worse ways to go. Actually, no, I can't. It would be very undignified. (This is, of course, allowing for the fact that there are few "good" ways to go, and the rest of the list is fighting for the title of "most embarrassing".)

I never really realized this before, but I don't really worry about "the end", I just don't want to look stupid. Am I awful or what?

message 21: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments As Bill Cosby's mother would say, "Always wear clean underwear." :)

message 22: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Christa wrote: "When do you want to start #3?"

I'll have this current book (Sentence of Marriage) done by sometime tomorrow, so I'll be ready tomorrow night or Monday. Just let me know."

Sounds good, let me know.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

MrsJoseph wrote: "As Bill Cosby's mother would say, "Always wear clean underwear." :)"

Hmmm...

Wine + satin sheets + satin pajamas = my underwear is the least of my problems.

These sheets are awesome to look at but they are a bitch to actually use. I won't survive the evening unless I can figure out a way to velcro myself into the damn bed.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

MrsJoseph wrote: "Christa wrote: "Sounds good, let me know."

Okay. If you don't hear from me, the butler did it in the study with the candlestick. (Not true but it sounds way more glamorous then "she fell outta bed".)

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Christa wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "As Bill Cosby's mother would say, "Always wear clean underwear." :)"

Hmmm...

Wine + satin sheets + satin pajamas = my underwear is the least of my problems.

These sheets are aw..."

How did the evening go? That sounds like a wild ride... :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

MrsJoseph wrote: "How did the evening go? That sounds like a wild ride... :) "

Well, I realized pretty quickly that I was in for a difficult time, so I ended up tucking my bedspread in all the way around to hold everything together, then I slept on top of it with a "normal" sheet over me. I guess I will do that again tonight because I've been lazy today and didn't get around to changing the sheets.

Satin sheets are just not worth the trouble. At least not right now.

message 27: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Blake (caleb72) | 437 comments I've never quite understood satin sheets myself.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Caleb wrote: "I've never quite understood satin sheets myself."

Honestly, me neither. File it under "seemed like a good idea at the time". But they're zebra print and look really good with my green bedspread and black velvet curtains. (What?!? I had lots of spare fabric in the attic. Free curtains!)

My roommate calls my bedroom decor "subdued bordello".

message 29: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Christa wrote: "Caleb wrote: "I've never quite understood satin sheets myself."

Honestly, me neither. File it under "seemed like a good idea at the time". But they're zebra print and look really good with my gree..."

That sounds so pretty!

Slippery but pretty. :-)

message 30: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Blake (caleb72) | 437 comments Ironically - or probably not ironically at all, they are slippery when dry rather than slippery when wet.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

MrsJoseph wrote: "That sounds so pretty!

Slippery but pretty. :-) "

Thanks! :) It will change soon. I'm going to paint my room soon, and probably buy some fabric for new curtains and a bedspread.

Caleb wrote: "Ironically - or probably not ironically at all, they are slippery when dry rather than slippery when wet. "

I know! But at least they make me appreciate plain old soft cotton sheets.

message 32: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Caleb wrote: "Ironically - or probably not ironically at all, they are slippery when dry rather than slippery when wet."

*snicker* Edited to remove comments that show I have a dirty mind. :-D

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments 400TC Egyptian cotton! One of my favorite things... :-)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

MrsJoseph wrote: "*snicker* Edited to remove comments that show I have a dirty mind. :-D"

Ooh, and I missed it! Damn.

"400TC Egyptian cotton! One of my favorite things... :-)"

Yup, and sometimes you can get them on sale pretty reasonably priced if you don't mind the colors that no one else wants. Can't beat 'em for ease-of-use, comfort and durability.

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 25, 2011 09:26PM) (new)

Updated list this evening, on to the next book. Have to finish the Promises to Keep trilogy. After that will be Dresden #3, then 1984, then Sorrow Floats. I think. That's the plan, anyway.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Updated list today. I'm about to start book #30 of the year. I was thinking about going on to the sequel to the trilogy I just finished, but I'm going to go ahead and start the third book in The Dresden Files. I could use something a little easier on me, emotionally speaking. The Promises to Keep trilogy had me bawling like a baby more times than I can count, but I loved every minute of it.

message 37: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Christa wrote: "Updated list today. I'm about to start book #30 of the year. I was thinking about going on to the sequel to the trilogy I just finished, but I'm going to go ahead and start the third book in The Dr..."

I know how that feels. I hate crying over my books (and ereaders are worse than paper if wet, lol). I haven't finished The Name of the Wind for that very reason. Needed an emotional break.

I'm also reading The Black Company for a group read...but (to quote a friend)
the author "dropped you off in crazy-town, population you. No map, just a wave and a "good luck, you'll need it."

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL Love that description!

As for crying over an ereader - at least the pages don't stick together when you cry on it. :)

In a little while I'll get the discussion board thing going. Still on my second cup of coffee - not enough to completely function yet.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I just completed book #30! Woohoo! Going to start 1984 tomorrow. This evening I'm going to read short fiction online to help ease the transition from Dresden's world to the Orwellian dystopia.

message 40: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I just rented 1984 from the library. I plan to give it a whirl tomorrow but tonight I'm reading a little Eddings.

message 41: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Blake (caleb72) | 437 comments I'll have to get my skates on and finish 1984 as you both seem to read faster/more than I do.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't get in too much of a rush - it's the beginning of the month which means more working hours and less reading for me. :) (I won't work too hard, though. I never do, really.)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Updated list today! :) 34 down, a lot more to go.

message 44: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Blake (caleb72) | 437 comments Argh - 10 behind you! This means you should be about on track for your 100 yes?

message 45: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments You're making me feel bad...I still haven't finished 1984...but I admit that someone recently spoiled the ending for me...

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Caleb wrote: "Argh - 10 behind you! This means you should be about on track for your 100 yes?"

According to the challenge tracker, I'm still one book behind, I guess because it took me a day longer to read this last one than the last few. (I had to spend one day doing more working than reading. I hate when that happens.)

Right now I'm reading Blood Is Red (which I'm really enjoying - great collection of creepy short stories), then I'm going to start Hounded, the first book in the new Iron Druid Chronicles urban fantasy series.

message 47: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments No, it wasn't you. :-)

It was from a different group and it was a real spoiler. I was ignoring it at first but then people kept telling me I didn't want to read it because of the ending...which made me go back and read the spoiler.

message 48: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments :-D

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Updated list. Going to read some smut for a day or two then go on to Hounded.

message 50: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Blake (caleb72) | 437 comments What percentage of your reading would you classify as smut?

I have quite a few books with erotica elements (freebies) but haven't read any of them as yet. I keep telling myself I should give one of them a go.

« previous 1 3