readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Military scifi

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anujpun) | 5 comments Hey people any help would be appreciated as I cant seem to find any good Military scifi any more.
I dont mind reading action scifi either so let me know if you guys got any good books for me.
thank you

message 2: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
what have you already read in this genre, so i don't give you things you already know about?? and are you looking for futuristic military sci-fi, or alternate history sci-fi? this is not a terribly familiar genre for me, so as much detail as you can provide would be awesome.

message 3: by Ian (last edited Feb 23, 2011 06:41PM) (new)

Ian | 4 comments You've read some David Weber -- his "Starfire" series is alright. Not the best written but good as far as military sci-fi goes. Action packed. Lots of TO&E before battles if you like that sort of thing. Weber is pretty good at writing battle scenes; now that I think of it, he's one of the best at writing battle scenes. I read a whole article once about how Weber goes about imagining and writing battle scenes.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 4 comments Oh, and check out Dan Simmons' Ilium and Olympos. They're genre-bending material so I don't know if "military sci-fi" is the right way to categorize them. Definitely some characteristics of hard sci-fi and some military sci-fi, along with historical fiction. It's hard to explain; you just have to check it out to understand. But they're full of different sorts of battle scenes using different technologies depending on who's fighting.

message 5: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anujpun) | 5 comments oops sorry for the late reply yeah red David Weber books and a lot on the mili scifi books. I wanted to know if there is any books like the http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51... and maybe http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10....
cheers in advance

message 6: by karen, future RA queen (new)

sorry, i forgot all about this thread, and i had meant to suggest David Sherman. i don't know too too much about this series, but maybe they are good??

Backshot. that one there is the first one.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Some older stuff. I don't really read scifi anymore. Life changes, I guess. But I remember when.

The Forever War
Forever Peace
The Uplift War

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason Brown (Toastx2) (toastx2) | 9 comments Anuj wrote: "oops sorry for the late reply yeah red David Weber books and a lot on the mili scifi books."

ditto on the david weber

Also John Ringo.. his Posleen War series is somf of the best sci-fi combat novels i have read in ages.

http://www.goodreads.com/search/searc...

message 9: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 28, 2011 11:41AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) Well, I just had a huge long post with beautiful links that just got snarkled, so here's the quick and dirty:

The Man-Kzin Wars series by Larry Niven
Interstellar Patrol and Interstellar Patrol II: The Federation of Humanity
Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War series, Serrano Legacy series, and Esmay Suiza series
The Raj Whitehall series by S.M. Stirling & David Drake
The Hammer's Slammers series by David Drake
The Bolo series by Keith Laumer
The Course of Empire and The Crucible of Empire by Eric Flint
The Jason Wander series by Robert Buettner

Alternate Universe/time gate military sf series like:
Looking Glass series by John Ringo
Multiverse series by David Weber
Timeline Wars by John Barnes

Anthologies like:
When Diplomacy Fails: An Anthology of Military Science Fiction
Foreign Legions

The Berserker series by Fred Saberhagen
The Metsada Mercenary Corps series by Joel Rosenberg
The Phule's Company series by Robert Lynn Asprin
The Starcruiser Shenandoah series by Roland J. Green
The Sten series by Allan Cole
The Star Risk Ltd. #1 series and the The Last Legion series by Chris Bunch
The Seafort Saga by David Feintuch

message 10: by karen, future RA queen (new)

Embedded- this just came in today - brand new hot off the presses.

it looks pretty cool to me, and i am not even a fan of military sci-fi. i know this guy writes a lot for the warhammer franchise, but this is unrelated to that world.

message 11: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 30, 2011 09:59AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) Oh yes, Brian, thanks! I totally forgot about Harry Turtledove! He has a bunch of military science fiction - they are all alternate history, but cover the Civil War, WWI, WWII, WWIII, and a war when Earth is invaded by aliens. Good stuff!

I enjoyed the World War series as well - made me look at my spice cabinet in a whole new way. = )

message 12: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anujpun) | 5 comments yeah been reading good stuff about embedded recently will see if i can get my hands on em :)
guys thanxs once again for all your suggestions and keep em coming :)

oh yeah found this web site where he reviews a lot of mili scifi books. http://www.cybermage.se/ i think he is also a member in good reads :P

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold is great stuff. You can either start with Warrior's Apprentice which is the start of Miles Vorkosigan's adventures, or Shards of Honor which is the first of 2 books that feature his parents before Miles was born.

message 14: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anujpun) | 5 comments read the vorkosigan saga was good but the latest one cryoburn wasn't all that in my opinion :)

message 15: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments I'm not positive what counts as "military scifi" but in The Reality Dysfunction there is a war on a planet that is being colonized.

message 16: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anujpun) | 5 comments Yup read the trilogy "The Reality Dysfunction" any one got any other recommendation :) thanks people for your recommendation up till now much appreciated.

message 17: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments Embassytown is a new one and it's about a war and rebellion and lots of complicated stuff.

message 18: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (nkmeyers) | 10 comments gotta put a plug in for John Scalzi's Old Man's War book & series by the same name. Neat because it shows different perspectives: male/female, soldier, captive, child, general over a handful of books each with a different focus and protagonist from among a related set of characters. Deceptively fun, fast reading that draws the reader into some of the perplexities of military life and decision making.

message 19: by Christy (new)

Christy (christymtidwell) | 149 comments You might also check out Karen Traviss's Wess'har Wars series (six books long, starts with City of Pearl).

message 20: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 11 comments I have a soft spot for The Cobra Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Also, Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century is a good starting point.

message 21: by karen, future RA queen (new)

did you check any of these out?? any thoughts?

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 110 comments I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet-- Ender's Game.

message 23: by Grey (new)

Grey Wolf | 29 comments The Dorsai books of Gordon R Dickson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorsai!

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

message 24: by Lexxi Kitty (last edited Aug 12, 2014 05:45AM) (new)

Lexxi Kitty (lexxikitty) | 7 comments Some others that haven't been mentioned yet in this thread from 2011.
All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka by Hiroshi Sakurazaka
Phobos by Ty Drago by Ty Drago
Valor's Choice (Confederation #1) by Tanya Huff by Tanya Huff
Starstrike  by W. Michael Gear by W. Michael Gear
A Just Determination (JAG in Space, #1) by John G. Hemry by John G. Hemry
The Dark Wing (The Dark Wing Series, #1) by Walter H. Hunt by Walter H. Hunt

Star Wars had a series which followed x-wing fighters, most of which actually involves combat.
Rogue Squadron (Star Wars X-Wing, #1) by Michael A. Stackpole by Michael A. Stackpole (Rogue Squadron is the first in the series. I didn't actually like his as much as I liked the one's authored by Aaron Allston, which run from X-Wing 5 through 7).

Renegade's Honor (Renegade Legion) by William H. Keith Jr. by William H. Keith Jr.
Decision at Thunder Rift (Saga of the Grey Death Legion, #1) by William H. Keith Jr. by William H. Keith Jr.