The Dollmaker The Dollmaker discussion

Harriette Simpson Arnow

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (last edited Feb 23, 2011 02:49PM) (new)

Jeff B I happened to meet Ms. Arnow in person in about 1968 when I was teaching at a little college in Michigan. Our provost was a personal friend of hers and had invited about 30 faculty members to meet her. She talked mostly about The Dollmaker.

To me the Dollmaker is a true American classic. I read it a few years after it came out. It is
slice-of-life, absolutely real, extremely powerful. The grittiness of Detroit (where I grew up) is there
and the people in the story are based on people or
composites of people that Ms. Arnow actually knew if I remember correctly from the talk she gave.

It was a privilege to meet her.

Interestingly enough, only a few of the other faculty members had read the book.

The movie paled in comparison to the book.
This novel transports the reader to a place other than the here and now. You don't have to be from Appalachia or from a Detroit factory to relate to the
characters or their situations. This is a human story.

Jaye I gave this book as a gift recently.
It's an all-time favorite.

Heather Rowe-Stevens Jeff wrote: "I happened to meet Ms. Arnow in person in about 1968 when I was teaching at a little college in Michigan. Our provost was a personal friend of hers and had invited about 30 faculty members to meet..."
Wow, I'm envious! Would have loved to meet this author. I simply loved this book. Loved the main character, she was so real to me. One of the best books I have read or am likely to read. A must for every library.

Lori that is a great story to get to meet the author. I read part of the book and saw the made for tv movie with Jane fonda. I am from Michigan so stories that take place in Michigan are of interest to me. and this one was a good book.

Ruth Chatlien I too am envious that you met the author. I love this book. I think I've read it three or four times. The characters are so complex and poignant.

Karen I loved the book and, in my opinion, the movie starring Jane Fonda was lovely and captured perfectly the hardscrabble, heartbreaking life of the poor Appalachian people. I'll never forget the part where Fonda's character saved the life of her child by cutting a hole in her throat and sticking a reed in to draw out fluid from her lungs. This is one of the few movies that was a good compliment to the book.

Jaye Karen wrote: "I loved the book and, in my opinion, the movie starring Jane Fonda was lovely and captured perfectly the hardscrabble, heartbreaking life of the poor Appalachian people. I'll never forget the part..."

I agree. I loved the book and the movie.