Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Beyonce in "blackface"

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (last edited Feb 23, 2011 02:01PM) (new)

Lori Well she's not really in blackface, in the true derogatory definition, but she is painted very dark for a cover mag shot as a tribute to Kuti:
[image error]

I realize we're mostly a bunch of white folks discussing this (calling Britt!), but what's your reaction? Personally I find it BS because she is said to have lightened her skin, and is constantly photoshopped as being even lighter with nary a complaint from her. But aside from that it is a beautiful African shot. The photo is brewing an uproar on the internet.

And oh, I will never forgive her for performing (for something like a million bucks) for Qadhafi's son last year.

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori Very very rarely I miss the Like button here, but this is one of those times, Barb!

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Poor Britt! Let us ask all our questions about black people here, to Britt, and Britt, feel free to ask us white people anything, too.

We're screwed as far as Asians, though, except for Gabby and Rachel, I guess. If Gus is around he can cover the Latino end.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Barb wrote: "Oh geeze RA, now I feel like an ignoramus. I was just curious about how Britt feels about it."

Hee. That was not intended...I thought the whole situation was pretty funny. You're my Canadian answer person.

message 5: by Brittomart (last edited Feb 23, 2011 04:34PM) (new)

Brittomart Hahahahaha. The resident black person of TC has arrived.

I mean I wasn't outraged, but I just think it's stupid. I think it says something about the whitewashing of Beyonce. I mean it's ironic (not in a good way) 'cause she's already black...I just don't get it. I heard that she asked to be put in black face. I also don't get why they couldn't just get a model who has that skin color because there are plenty of them.

About non-black people asking black people about black people, I'm usually a good sport about it if it's all innocent. I have a suitemate, and we were discussing our hair, and how we only get it washed every couple of weeks, and she goes, "So do you have to keep a calendar, or do you just know?" and I thought that was the cutest question ever.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori iBritt wrote: "HI also don't get why they couldn't just get a model who has that skin color because there are plenty of them.
"

That's what I thought too!

I'm glad you're OK with it, Britt, I'm sincerely curious. Just like if you asked me something about being Jewish.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17333 comments Mod
Well, how do you know?

message 8: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Haha, it itches, it's greasy, it may smell because of all the greasing (but that's only if it really really needs washing). It's difficult of comb possibly. Dandruff!

I guess the same way anyone else knows to wash their hair.