The Extra Cool Group! (of people Michael is experimenting on) discussion

Off-Topic, but Goodreads-related > People loving books you hate vs. people hating books you love

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian | 11 comments Think about these two circumstances:
(1)Somebody loves a book that you hate.
(2)Sombeody hates a book that you love.

What I'm wondering is how you react to those circumstances. Which one bothers you more? Which one is more likely to motivate you to say something in your own review of the book, or comment upon someone else's review? Which one is more likely to raise your ire? Which one makes you think negatively about the other person (or if not the person, then his/her review)?

(Please note that I use terms like "love" and "hate" here as hyberbolic catch-alls. I don't necessarily mean them with whatever connotations you might attach.)

I tend to be more bothered when somebody loves a book that I hate. I can understand that not everybody is going to love the books I love; that's just life. But loving something that I think is trash? Well that just makes me think I'm better than you.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Neither bothers me.

Why would it? If you feel differently about a book than I do, how would that even matter to me?

How would that make me better/worse than you?

Everyone has different tastes and not every book is going to be for everyone. If you have similar likes and dislikes, great! Maybe you can give me some rec's. If you have vastly different or opposite likes and dislikes, that's fine too. Just gives me some books to avoid.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I agree with Ala. But, if I had to choose one to dislike more... I guess when someone hates something I love? That just makes me think they think they are better than me ;)

(Just kidding on that last part, I don't really think that, just poking fun at the last sentence of the original question. What? You realized that? Oh. Hey, what's that over there?!?! *points and runs away while everyone turns to investigate*)

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 11 comments What is Dawn pointing at? ... I don't see anything ... what the ... hey!! Where'd Dawn go?!?! *points at Dawn and runs with fist shaking*

The last sentance of the original post was in jest. What? Your realized that? Oh. Hey, ... etc.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Hehe :)

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) It depends on the person. If they're my friend here on GR, I try to remember because I use them to find books I like. If they're just another GR person, I don't usually care unless they're inaccurate or rude about it.

message 7: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 35 comments Jim wrote: "It depends on the person. If they're my friend here on GR, I try to remember because I use them to find books I like. If they're just another GR person, I don't usually care unless they're inaccu..."

Same here, don't care unless someone gets abusive,& if I don't like the book they like I usually don't comment

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant I hate it when people I like like American Psycho!

message 9: by Cass (new)

Cass Definetly the first option.

If I hated the book and they loved it I feel the greatest urge to write a nasty comment setting them straight (thus far I have resisted the urge).

message 10: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 35 comments Paul wrote: "I hate it when people I like like American Psycho!"

I haven't read it yet.!

message 11: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 35 comments I guess I disregard folk to some extent who have a lot of tacky romances on their shelves or just one genre that I'm not interested in. I guess that's shallow but I can't help it.

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian | 11 comments Paul wrote: "I hate it when people I like like American Psycho!"

For me it's McCarthy's The Road (McCarthy's Rod is what I call it). I don't understand how any of my friends can find merit in that book. But I feel that way about American Psycho, too.

message 13: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 77 comments i could care less either way, for the most part. the rare exception is when it is something that i not only love, but is personally meaningful to me....then if i person i love hates it, or even worse - mocks it, then a little part of me dies inside. but then little parts of me die everyday, so really its no big deal! slowly sloughing off all those awkward human parts like so much dead skin is forward movement; i look forward to the day when i am entirely composed of shiny metallic robot parts and all the messy human ingredients have been lost like dust in the wind. all we are is dust in the wind!

message 14: by Paul (last edited Feb 28, 2011 01:30PM) (new)

Paul Bryant Hey Ian, we went to see The Road The Movie and I thought it was pretty cool, pretty bleak, visually compelling and all of that... but The Road The Movie cuts out Cormac's ridiculous authorial voice, so that's why I think it works! Actually when you think about it, which I only just did, The Road The Movie could have been made entirely without The Road The Book existing at all!

message 15: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 133 comments When someone loves a book I hate, I'm excited by that prospect, especially if they've written a long detailed review. I want to know exactly what it is they loved about it. What did I not see in this that was so obviously great?

When someone hates something I love, I just shrug and say "oh well". Although for some books, I really feel like NOBODY should hate, and then I would really like a long detailed review as to why they hate it as well.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments When someone hates something I love, I just shrug and say "oh well". Although for some books, I really feel like NOBODY should hate, and then I would really like a long detailed review as to why they hate it as well.

like Saramago's Blindness!

;-)

actually, forget about the long review!
Just realize you were meant to love it.
Something is wrong with you, dear reader!

message 17: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 133 comments HAHA, yes sometimes I just get mad! :) But in that case I'm just mad at the book for being so sucky, not at people who love it.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Jimmy wrote: "When someone loves a book I hate, I'm excited by that prospect, especially if they've written a long detailed review. I want to know exactly what it is they loved about it. What did I not see in ..."

Word. And the reverse.

message 19: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyhh) | 11 comments The only time it really irritates me is when somebody LOVES a book for some quality that is ALL WRONG!(Example: raving about "historical" fiction because of the history, when the history in the book in no way resembles actual history. Burns me up every time.)

But if someone hates a book I love, I just say under my breath: "Well you're just a big old dummy," and move on.

Not really. Except kind of like that... I too like to see what that reader has to say that created such a different impression than mine. It's interesting. (Even if they are WRONG.)

message 20: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyhh) | 11 comments Holy grammar trainwreck, Batman. o_O

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) LOL! That's OK, Stacey. I think I feel the same way.
;-)

message 22: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) Liking or disliking doesn't tell you everything someone felt about something. If they are completely unwilling to think about it, or open up, then they are more likely to be boring to me. I'd much prefer someone who was REALLY into something I didn't like then spending time with a person who has zero interest in music at all.

message 23: by Cass (new)

Cass Jimmy wrote: "When someone loves a book I hate, I'm excited by that prospect, especially if they've written a long detailed review. I want to know exactly what it is they loved about it. What did I not see in ..."

Ceridwen wrote: "And the reverse. "

Exactly. Well put.

message 24: by Velvetink (last edited Apr 12, 2011 09:54PM) (new)

Velvetink | 35 comments Mariel wrote: "Liking or disliking doesn't tell you everything someone felt about something. If they are completely unwilling to think about it, or open up, then they are more likely to be boring to me. I'd much ..."

That's so true, and I've been turned around in my interests by people who have talked about something (I'd previously had either no clue about or interest) & by their passion, I looked into it and got hooked on it in some way too.

message 25: by David (new)

David | 1 comments Generally, neither really bothers me, but it gets to me more if a specific quality they love is one that I hate (or vice versa). Like if I thought a certain character was boring and obnoxious and entirely unnecessary and their first sentence is how much they identify with that character, I tend to skip the review and assume we're not going to find much common ground.

But I've also had my eyes opened to a good or bad quality of a book about which I'd already made up my mind. So I often seek out the reviews that disagree with me to see what I may have missed.

The Extra Cool Group! (of people Michael is...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Road (other topics)