SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > I'm moving to Ethiopia!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith It's about time I announced this here - I'm not exactly sure when, but I'll be moving to Ethiopia in early April. My boyfriend works for the Department of International Relations, and he's getting posted to the African Union in Addis Ababa, so I'll be moving with him and we'll be living there for the next four years.

I wasn't at all happy about this at first (I was hoping for New York, Paris, Geneva), but I've gotten used to the idea and there are definitely lots of perks so now I'm quite excited and I can't wait to resign, pack up all my things and get on the plane!

message 2: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
It is going to be awesome!! I know you will have a blast!

You are going to have to take lots of pics for us tho :)

message 3: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2452 comments Mod
That's exciting news! A whole new country to explore. Best of luck for the packing though. I think that's the most difficult part of any move.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Wow what exciting news Lauren. I have met several Ethiopians as my inlaws rent property out to them. They are a very nice people, very friendly and will do anything to help you. I am sure you will have a fantastic time. Atleast Ehtiopia is nearer to home for you than New York, although the shopping wont be quite the same. I am sure you will have some great experiences to tell us all. So enjoy yourself. :-)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Lauren you better take millions of photos!
I agree with the rest, you're going to have a great time, but you have to keep us up to speed! Violin in a void might be pretty busy :)

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thanks guys! I'll definitely take lots of pics (although from what I hear there won't be that many pretty ones) and I'm thinking of starting a travel blog so I can share it with everyone.

Crusader - yeah, the packing is the one bit I'm really dreading.

Emma - my boyfriend worked in Ethiopia for a month last year (which is probably why he got this posting) and he also said the people are very nice, and the embassy there is a far better place to work than the department headquarters here.
But yeah, I better enjoy shopping in Cape Town before I leave!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Well maybe you could also make some people more aware of what's going on there... like on your blog.
You also mentioned you'd like to do some charity work stuff and such, seeing as you wont be working, so maybe you can also blog about that, and some people who see your blog might donate some money to them :)

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I wrote a short blog post last Thursday about the move, but blogging about the charity is a good idea, thanks :)

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments There are alot of Ethiopians here in Durban. We have an Ethiopian friend who has a shop in Ladysmith and he has been in SA for a number of years. He came here as a refugee, as he was explaining that if you belong to a particular political party that is in opposition to the leading party then you are persecuted and you cannot travel freely. I think the majority that are refugees here belong to the Omoro people. I would be really interested in reading your blog about your experiences. Apparently lots of Hyenas in Ethiopia and huge crocodiles too. Yes please take plenty of pics. Are you going to learn the language? The only word I know is Thankyou which is amaseganellu. Something like that :-)

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm, that's a bit scary. Apparently the reason that the crime rate is so low is that it's a police state and the last situation you want to be in is at the mercy of the police... I'd actually be very reluctant to live there if I wasn't under diplomatic protection.

We'll do some safari-type travelling I'm sure, but I doubt we'll see any hyenas or crocodiles in the city :) Although if Lu comes to visit she might make me go looking for crocodiles :)

I'll try and learn a little Amharic for practical purposes. A friend gave us a pile of Amharic books that his uncle had bought when he lived there.

Oh, and apparently there are no ATMs or speedpoint machines in Ethiopia. That was a big WTF? bit of information for me. I didn't a think a capital city would be able to get by without them.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith And we have a date at last! We'll be leaving for Ethiopia on 15th April. Time to start preparations in earnest.

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex Eskinder | 1 comments hi there
FYI: there is ATMs in Ethiopia. u can find it in Mall's and hotels etc.
im ethiopian i was there for 3 month and loved it. im planing to move there and do some constriction Business for good. i lived in LA for 11 years and it was my first visit to addis. anyway's good luck

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hi Alex
Thanks for the encouragement! Have been reading up on Ethiopia a bit and also discovered my error about the ATMs. Overall it will be a bit of a culture shock, but I think I'll be ok :) I hope...

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Hi Lauren, I just got back from Cape Town and whilst there we went to a fantastic Ethiopian restaurant called Addis. I don think you are going to starve in Ethiopia as the food is excellent. They have this read called injera which is rather strange looking, is almost looks like a flat crumpet but it is very light. I feel hungry just thinking about it. Was yummy. :-)

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I've heard of Addis, although I haven't been there - glad to know it's good! A friend wants to have supper there when we go down to Cape Town, so I'll probably check it out. I've heard many good things about Ethiopian food, but I don't eat a lot of meat and I don't like stews, so that might be a bit of a problem for me, but we'll see.
I love breads though. Yaseen described injera as tasting like "sour rubber" although he didn't dislike it. I think the Ethiopian version is a little bit different from what you would get in an Ethiopian restaurant here, but either way I'm eager to try it.

On the whole I haven't been worried about food. I like to try new dishes, but there's also a strong Italian influence in Ethiopia (Italy nearly colonised them) so there's plenty of pizza and pasta if I don't like the local cuisine :)

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I went to an Ethiopian restaurant last night - Addis in Cape (not sure if that's the one you went to Emma? I think there's another Addis...). It was so good! It's a very communal way of eating - food is served on a large dish lined with injera, and the waiter tips each individual bowl into the large dish so everyone basically eats out of the same plate. They give you rolled up portions of injera that you use to eat your food, so there's no cutlery. It's a tad expensive, but I highly recommend for an interesting restaurant experience with excellent food!

I'll post pictures once I've set up our travel blog :)

message 17: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Yes please let us know when you make your travel blog!

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Here it is! abyssiniaandotherplaces.wordpress.com

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Hey Lauren, just came back from Vienna and had a marvellous time and just wanted to wish you a good flight and happy moving to Ethiopia tomorrow. Hope everthing goes as planned. I'll be thinking of you!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Lauren

I hope that everything goes well and that you get to Ehiopia safe. Good luck on everything and keep us posted!

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith We've arrived safely, and after a hiccup with hotel reservations we're settled. I'm totally knackered, so will let you know more in the morning.

message 22: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
So glad you arrived safe! Hope we hear from you soon :)
Enjoy!

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thanks :) Will do a few blog posts in the next hour or so.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Lauren!!!
So glad you're safe. Hope you enjoy every minute of it!