The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Other Book Discussions > A Tale Of Two Cities

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed here we'll discuss the book of A Tale of Two Cities

message 2: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed Ok, I just finished the book and here are my notes (for is as a whole)
PS: I don’t think you should read it before finishing the book because it contains things from the last chapters.
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel | 164 comments here here for Sydney Carton! He was one of my first bookhero's ever!

Am not sure how to do the spoilerthingie, so here's the classical way...SPOILER

"it’s kind of sad how these poor French people dramatically changed from victims who made the reader so sorry for them at first , to cruel killers ,blinded years of humiliation .they became merciless even with women and children. And killing men knowing they’re innocent just for being born from a noble family."
Dickens plays with our sentiment a lot on this point.It's not the common "citoyenne" who became merciless, although, quite frankly, at that time and age in France they had every reason to hate nobility, even the innocent ones. The rivalising "gangs" (Montagnards (mostly lower nobility by the way) and sansculottes) fighting over power when Louis XVI was overthrown are the real culprits in that period. They kept on stirring up the citizens for their own benefit. Luckily some of that backfired and Robespierre was beheaded himself.

This novel has the best last sentence ever:
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.”

message 4: by Diana (last edited Mar 10, 2011 01:47PM) (new)

Diana I really liked learning about the French revolution in school probably because of the way the French went from victims to being worse than the people they were killing, (human behavior like that always gets my attention).
I might need to find a different version of this book to reread because I had moments where; I don't want to say I struggled to understand what was going on but I could have used a simpler translation.
Usually when I read and I feel a book is going slow I almost always love the ending, and this was one of those times.
Although I have to admit that I couldn't really connect with the characters, I have to agree with both of you about Sydney Carton.
(view spoiler)

message 5: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
I agree with all of you on Sydney Carton.

Also, this book has excellent opening and ending sentences, which is quite a feat.