What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Other > SOLVED!: Man living in the woods, wears furs, pockets always have coins [x]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin | 7 comments So, this is a weird one. I actually saw it on TV in the 80s or early 90s, but I remember that it was based on a book.
There was a man that made a deal with someone and had to live in the woods for a specific amount of time. Had to wear furs, couldn't bathe or shave. His pockets always had money in them when it was needed. I think he was supposed to learn some sort of lesson....and/or recieved money if he succeeded

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments The trouble with movies based on books is it's sometimes based loosely enough that the details you give about the movie might not have appeared in the book. But, maybe they did or maybe another member saw and remembers the movie and/or the book it's based on. Good luck finding it, Erin.

message 3: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) | 55 comments That's a fairy tale, Bearskin. I had no idea there was a movie or TV show! Do you remember what it was called?

message 4: by Snail in Danger (Sid) (last edited Feb 23, 2011 12:19PM) (new)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Wikipedia says "Davenport Films produced an Americanized version of the story for their "From the Brothers Grimm" series. The story is set in rural Virginia after the Civil War with the protagonist being a desperate ex-Confederate soldier. The only changes made to the story are the crying man is a farmer who has lost all of his money and will lose his farm, and the Devil tells the audience, not Bearskin, that he gets two souls for the price of one. The tale is often considered the most chilling of the series."

Here's the Davenport Films page.

Good find, Clare.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin | 7 comments wow...thank you guys so much!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Erin wrote: "wow...thank you guys so much!"

Erin, I will move this to the other-solved folder. Please let me/us know if that is not correct.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin | 7 comments Thanks Lisa...I meant to do it earlier and got side tracked!!