Irish Readers discussion

Audio Books

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Hey Guys,

Just wondering whether many of you use audible.com or any other audio book service?

I've been using audio books for the last year or so, as well as reading print books. I drive quite a bit (probably 2.5 hours per day) and I find this a great way of relaxing while driving. I don't get as stressed when I'm stuck in traffic, and I've even noticed that I've slowed my driving speed down too (which is probably a good thing.)

I've also found it great when I'm out walking the dogs or doing general chores around the house. I've even found myself getting more done around the house simply because it means I get to listen to whatever book i'm currently reading.My "reading" for want of a better word, has actually tripled over the last year.

I had always thought that audio books were kind of the lazy way out. It wasn't until I was listening to Stephen Fry being interviewed about how he likes to relax that I changed my mind. He was talking about how he likes nothing more than going for an hour long walk and listening to a good audio book. I thought that sounded great and I've been doing the same ever since.

Also it might be handy considering the new book club we're starting. The local book shops aren't great in roscommon, but this way, I'll have my book in about 30 mins. (download time.)

Anyway, what are your thoughts on audiobooks? Ever tried them? If so who's your favorite narrator etc?

message 2: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) Hey - just joined the group and saw this. Yes I've been hooked on audiobooks for the last year or so. They've given me a new lease of life, the way you can do so many other things while still enjoying a book. They've re-invigorated my love for books too.

I don't really have a favourite narrator that I could name - but I really liked the Girl who did "The Immortal Life of Henrietta lacks though" and whoever did "Time travellers wife" which has probably been my favourite audiobook yet. Blood Meridian was fantastic too.

message 3: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Nice to meet you John.

Yeah I really think a narrator can make or break a book. I've started to take note of their names and check out other work that they've done.

By far the best narrator I've come across is Roy Dotrice. He read A Game of Thrones and its sequels. He's fantastic and really acts out the parts. Unfortunately, due to age and illness he only read the first three. I've sampled the narrator on the fourth book but I don't think I'll like him. Might just pick up the print book...wouldn't seem right having someone else read that series/

message 4: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) I'll check him out. Though there's only two books on audible.co.uk where I buy most of my books.

I feel the same way about non fiction where I'm familiar with the author i.e. No one else could ready Fry but Fry. And I felt the same with Mark Kermode who luckily narrated his own book.

But one Bill Bryson's Notes from a small Island was narrated by someone else who didn't really work for me. But Bryson himself isn't a great narrator (nor should he be). So that area can be a bit awkward for audiobooks.