Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > SP11 20.3 Iambic Pentameter

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (last edited Feb 23, 2011 07:08AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Post your questions about or ideas for Task 20.3 here.

"Read a book whose title has ten syllables."

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12448 comments I had to look and look, but I did find one on my Wish List:

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

message 3: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4617 comments This one is definitely tough. The two on my TBR are:

Love and Other Impossible Pursuits

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Feb 23, 2011 10:11AM) (new)

Rachel | 539 comments i found a couple

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus

And Harry Potter 1 (if you have the sorcerer's stone) 4 and 7 all work too

message 5: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1459 comments Do subtitles count for this or only primary titles?

E.g., Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism

message 8: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 23, 2011 01:04PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12448 comments Hmmm. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer is one I had on my list for the Summer 2010 Challenge. I wonder if I'll get to it this Spring?

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments If a book has a subtitle, it must be included in the ten-syllable count.

message 11: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) Krista, you're good. I had to take a break from syllable counting earlier because I was starting to get loopy. Kind of like if you say a word ("fork", for example) over and over again, it starts sounding really weird. :oD

message 12: by Liz M (last edited Feb 23, 2011 07:08PM) (new)

Liz M I tried this syllable counter and, individually, Krista's books in post 10 were each 10 syllables. However, putting all 6 books in the form resulted in 69 syllables(?). So, one book at a time is key.

message 13: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Liz M wrote: "I tried this syllable counter and, individually, Krista's books in post 10 were each 10 syllables. However, putting all 6 books in the form resulted in 69 syllables(?). So, one book at a time is ..."

Wow, I ddin't know there was a syllable counter. (I don't know why that should surprise me.) Glad to know that the good ol' fingers and lots of talking outloud to myself work too. :-)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12448 comments Yes, Krista, I found it quite handy that the task requires the same number of syllables as I have fingers.

message 15: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2307 comments I tapped out on my fingers too. :)

message 16: by Krista (last edited Feb 24, 2011 07:45AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Guess it's lucky all of us that this it didn't require 11 syllables. Then the shoes and socks would have had to come off. :-)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12448 comments 11 syllables I could handle, I have a nose, but 12?

message 18: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2307 comments then we have to go to eyes and lips and...other body parts :)

message 20: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Good one Rebekah!

message 21: by Sara Grace (new)

Sara Grace  (saragrace34) | 141 comments What about The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet? Seems like it's all riding on the number of syllables in Zoet.

message 22: by Krista (last edited Mar 03, 2011 01:29PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Sara Grace wrote: "What about The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet? Seems like it's all riding on the number of syllables in Zoet."

I was wondering about this title too! I don't know how "Zoet" is pronounced. (1 syllable or 2?)

The Syllable Counter software pegs it at 10 syllables.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12448 comments by the way, I found another that fits this task.

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding

and I just may see how many Poirot's I can fit into this challenge!

message 25: by Liz M (last edited Mar 05, 2011 01:03PM) (new)

Liz M If On a Winter’s Night a Traveler
The History of the Siege of Lisbon
The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis
The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum
Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture
Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas?
The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge?
Pereira Declares: A Testimony?

message 26: by Katy (new)

Katy | 941 comments I just read The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell - haven't quite decided where to put it but it DOES have ten syllables and I really enjoyed it. Definitely a great story, great writing.

message 27: by Deedee (last edited Mar 07, 2011 03:54PM) (new)

Deedee | 1938 comments Adams, Douglas - Life, The Universe, and Everything Else [#3]
1 1 3 1 3 1
Bruckheimer, Linda - The Southern Belles of Honeysuckle Way
1 2 1 1 4 1
Calvino, Italo - If on a Winter's Night a Traveler
1 1 1 2 1 1 3
Carter, Angela - The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories
1 2 2 1 2 2
Crichton, Robert - The Secret of Santa Vittoria
1 2 1 2 4
Dick, Philip K. - The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
1 1 3 1 2 2
Du Maurier, Daphne - The Infernel World of Branwell Bronte
1 3 1 1 2 2
Flynn, Michael - The Forest of Time and Other Stories
1 2 1 1 1 2 2
Greenberg, Martin H. - Nebula Award Winning Nebulas
3 2 2 3
Howe, Katherine - The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane
1 2 1 1 4 1
Johnston, Wayne - The Colony of Unrequited Dreams
1 3 1 4 1
Keyes, Marian - Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married
2 3 1 2 2
Lindskold, Jane - Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls
2 1 2, 3 1 1
Malzberg, Berry N. - The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time
1 1 1 2 2 1 1 1
Mansfield, Katherine - The Garden Party and Other Stories
1 2 2 1 2 2
Miles, Rosalind - Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country (Guenevere, #1)
3, 1 1 1 2 2
Miller Jr., Walter M. - Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman
1 3 1 1 1 1 2
Moorcock, Michael - Gloriana, or, the Unfulfill'd Queen
4 1 1 3 1
Schmitz, James H. - Agent of Vega & Other Stories
2 1 2 1 2 2
Twain, Mark - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
1 3 1 4 1

The numbers are the syllable counts for the words in the title.

Including sub-titles:

Adams, John Joseph * - Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse
2 2 1 1 (Apocalypse - 4 syllables)
Chatterjee, Upamanyu - English, August: An Indian Story
2 2 1 3 2
Cowell, Stephanie * - Claude & Camille: A Novel of Monet
1 1 2: 1 2 1 2
Divakaruni, Chitra Banerjee * - The Unknown Errors of Our Lives: Stories
1 2 2 1 1 1: 2
Hughes, Matthew * - Majestrum: A Tale Of Henghis Hapthorn (Book 1)
3 1 1 1 2 2
Keyes, Marian - The Brightest Star in the Sky: A Novel
1 2 1 1 1 1 : 1 2
Mantel, Hilary - A Place of Greater Safety: A Novel
1 1 1 2 2 : 1 2
Turtledove, Harry - The First Heroes: New Tales of the Bronze Age
1 1 2: 1 1 1 1 1 1
Wilson, Peter H. - The Thirty Year's War: Europe's Tragedy
1 2 1 1 : 2 3

The only one I wasn't sure of was

Mitchell, David - The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
1 2 2 1 2 1 1
(yes: Zoet =1 syllable; no: Zoet =2 syllables)

message 28: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Deedee wrote: "Adams, Douglas - Life, The Universe, and Everything Else [#3]
1 1 3 1 3 1..."

Wow. that's a lot of finger counting. Thanks!

message 29: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4355 comments how about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll? My fingers say 10 but the syllable counter counts 9 because it doesn't know that Alice's becomes 3 syllables due to the soft c.
it gets combo pts for the popular penguins

message 30: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Hey Sam: Can we get a ruling as to whether subtitles can/should be counted as part of the 10 syllables?

It seems like those subtitles like ":A Novel", and "A Story" shouldn't count as they haven't counted for other tasks in the past. But I don't know precisely what you had in mind for this task.

Thanks!

message 31: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1459 comments In message 9, Sam says subtitles must be counted. But that doesn't answer the question about :A Novel or :A Story.

message 32: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments Krista wrote: "Hey Sam: Can we get a ruling as to whether subtitles can/should be counted as part of the 10 syllables?

It seems like those subtitles like ":A Novel", and "A Story" shouldn't count as they ha..."

The generic ones like A Novel and A Story won't count just like in previous challenges. Unique subtitles, however, do count.

message 33: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Sam wrote: "Krista wrote: "Hey Sam: Can we get a ruling as to whether subtitles can/should be counted as part of the 10 syllables?

It seems like those subtitles like ":A Novel", and "A Story" shouldn't c..."

Okay -- thanks. That's how I was thinking of it too.

message 34: by Krista (last edited Mar 19, 2011 12:47PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments I found a new book that will fit this task:
The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party

It's the next book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, and it's being published this month.

It also qualifies for my task as Botswana is a current Peace Corps country.

message 35: by Rebekah (last edited Mar 19, 2011 03:00PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4355 comments Krista wrote: "I found a new book that will fit this task:

It's the next book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, and it's being published this mont..."

I was thinking the same thing only I'm reading Tea Time for the Traditionally Built ! It also fits both categories as well as Alliteration

and.....Guess what???? I have tickets to go to a luncheon where Alexander McCall Smith will be speaking, Q&A and a FREE SIGNED copy of the book! My daughter is not a mystery fan but I bought two tickets because i didn't want to go alone. However if you happen to be in the Houston area on April 5, I'd gladly let you go in her place!

message 36: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4617 comments Do any of you reading the No. 1 Detective Agency books know which ones were covered in the mini-series? My husband and I just watched it and I want to read the book that is closest to carrying on from the mini-series. I have only read book one quite a few years ago.
Rebekah, have fun at the McCall Smith event!

message 37: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Rebekah wrote: "Krista wrote: "I found a new book that will fit this task:

It's the next book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, and it's being publ..."

Hmmm --- I wonder how much a flight between Houston and Portland, OR costs....

Have fun, and fill us all in about the event when you can!

message 38: by Krista (last edited Mar 20, 2011 10:46AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Do any of you reading the No. 1 Detective Agency books know which ones were covered in the mini-series? My husband and I just watched it and I want to read the book that is closest to carrying on f..."

I think it covered stoires from the first book or two. I vaguely remembered some of the stories. The salon owner was a completely new character. I watched the series on DVD a few months ago. Does anyone know if they did a second season? It was just such a lovely show.

message 39: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4355 comments Krista wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Krista wrote: "I found a new book that will fit this task:

It's the next book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, and..."

Your book comes out today! Do you want me to get you a signed copy?

message 40: by Krista (last edited Mar 22, 2011 05:22PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Rebekah wrote: "Krista wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Krista wrote: "I found a new book that will fit this task:

It's the next book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Age...

Your book comes out today! Do you want me to get you a signed copy? ..."

Wow, what a nice offer Rebekah!

I think I'm going to have to pass though. My house is already overflowing with books that I'm going to list on Paperback Swap, or donate after I finish reading them. If I start collecting books that I can't bear to part with I'll soon be featured on one of those "Hoarders" episodes. :-}

I'm in the Hold Queue at the library for this book. You have fun at the signing. I want to hear your impressions of Alexander McCall Smith!

message 41: by Rebekah (last edited Mar 23, 2011 08:02AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4355 comments Books from Penguin List that fit;

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Civilization and Its Discontents
The Obernewtyn Chronicles Volume 1
if you use the title exactly as it is on the Popular Penguins list.
The Philosophy of Andy Warhol
The Consolations of Philosophy
Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World
The History of Sexuality , don't use "Volume 1" subtitle
My Family and Other Animals
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders
(The syllable counter counts Penge as a two syllable word. I don't know the correct pronounciation, so I don't know if this is coreect or not)

and for another type of combo, Tender Is the Night comes from a line in Keats' Ode to the Nightingale

Though the dull brain perplexes and retards:
Already with thee! tender is the night,
And haply the Queen-Moon is on her throne,
Cluster'd around by all her starry Fays;

message 42: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Rebekah wrote: "Books from Penguin List that fit;

...and for another type of combo, Tender Is the Night comes from a line in Keats' Ode to the Nightingale

Though the dull brain perplexes and retards:
Already with thee! tender is the night,
And haply the Queen-Moon is on her throne,
Cluster'd around by all her starry Fays;
..."

And as an added bonus, Tender Is the Night is on the Canon list!

message 43: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4355 comments Krista wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Krista wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Krista wrote: "I found a new book that will fit this task:

It's the next book in the No. 1 Ladi..."

Right - O! Sadly I had to miss seeing Jacqualine Winspeasr last night

message 44: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4355 comments Rebekah wrote: "Krista wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Krista wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Krista wrote: "I found a new book that will fit this task:

It's the next book in..."

I need to catch up on the series so I plan to use
Tea Time for the Traditionally Built for task 20.1, The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party for 20.3 and The Double Comfort Safari Club for 20.9! Between those and the Penguins, I'm jumping all over with excitement about combo points!

message 45: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) In the Beginning...was the Command Line - I assume the ellipsis in the middle of this title does not negate the fact that it is a total of 10 syllables? Not sure yet if I'm using it, but I want to be sure just in case.

message 46: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Denae wrote: "In the Beginning...was the Command Line - I assume the ellipsis in the middle of this title does not negate the fact that it is a total of 10 syllables? Not sure yet if I'm using it, b..."

Punctuation does not affect the number of syllables. This book works.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.