Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

All About Heroes > Alpha or Beta?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I guess I prefer an understated alpha, like Owen from Shanna Swendson's Enchanted series. He's nerdy, quiet, and shy. But, he's the most powerful wizard around!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Baron Duncan from Honors Spendour by Julie Garwood..... *sigh*
Defiantly ALPHA..... OMG

message 3: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I gotta say I go for the Alphas, even though they often anger me. Tough, strong, powerful... mmmm... :D
Though I do like heroes who can be sweet and have a sense of humor, and are not just big, bad meanies.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments I always prefer Alphas.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments I always prefer Alphas.

message 6: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 752 comments I tend to go for Alphas too. You'd think after spending 19yrs with a man who was way too controlling-that I'd prefer Betas but I don't.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I agree with you Kit- I can get really mad at alphas sometimes... but I love them too!

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "I agree with you Kit- I can get really mad at alphas sometimes... but I love them too!"

Barrons from Karen Marie Moning's Fever series is a good example of the alpha I hate to love.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments That's a GREAT example Michelle!!

message 10: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 752 comments Yes that's a great way to put it and he's a perfect example.

message 11: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) Alpha all the way! PITAs most of the time, but I know I could turn a Beta into a doormat asap, so I need the bull-headedness of the Alpha. :)

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Zee wrote: "Alpha all the way! PITAs most of the time, but I know I could turn a Beta into a doormat asap, so I need the bull-headedness of the Alpha. :)"

LOL!

message 13: by Kelley (last edited Feb 24, 2011 03:43PM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) I'm a beta loving girl. Alpha men drive me insane most of the time as they are so overbearing. We'd never stop fighting since men like that really get my back up! I love a beta guy who's gentle and caring and supportive, but toally not afraid to step up and take charge when necessary

message 14: by SmittenKitten (last edited Mar 04, 2011 02:35PM) (new)

SmittenKitten | 29 comments ALPHA... and apparently Gamma too. I'm not exactly sure what a Gamma hero is, but some of my favorite heroes have been described as such in reviews. Can anyone enlighten me? :)

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Mar 04, 2011 02:46PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Beats the poo out of me. I'll do an internet search.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa Kay wrote: "Beats the poo out of me. I do an internet search."

LOL

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Here's something pretty good.
Gamma Heros

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Mar 04, 2011 06:07PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments So how about some examples of anyone's favorite Gamma hero? Or Alpha turned Gamma by end of the book? I loved Heaven, Texas, so I'd have to say Bobby Tom.
Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments OMG. Now I'm going to have to add another bookshelf. Will I ever be done going over and over my books?

message 20: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 29 comments Thanks for the help LK! I adore Anne Stuart and I've read that her heroes are Gamma... but I'm not sure I would agree with that.

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Mar 04, 2011 07:45PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I see you haven't read Heaven, Texas yet, so you really can't answer if Bobby Tom is Gamma or not. I keep changing my mind. There is a great groveling scene at the end. (view spoiler)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Loved that book!

message 23: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 29 comments As much as I want to click that spoiler link, I'm not going too! :D

Heaven, Texas is the next SEP I want to read. It Had to Be You was my first SEP book (read in January) and I adored it... definitely in my top favorite romances. I remember Bobby Tom from that one, glad he got his own book!

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Definitely don't click that spoiler SmittenKitten!! The end of Heaven, Texas
is absolutely, positively worth waiting for. Actually, it is one of the best endings in many a romance book. Don’t click this one either(view spoiler). Heehee. Now I'm just being cruel.

message 25: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 29 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Heehee. Now I'm just being cruel."

Oh so cruel indeed!! Now I'm going to have to read that one next just so I can come back here and look at the spoilers. :D

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I have It Had to Be You by SEP. I take it that's another series I need to be starting soon.......

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh yes, one of SEP's best!
It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I prefer the Beta that becomes an Alpha. Ones that start as Alphas are usually arrogant, obnoxious, and irritating as hell. Men who begin in a follower position and then rise to the occasion to be a leader are far more attractive to me.