Terminalcoffee discussion

Health / Science / Technology > Do you know your blood type? Does knowing your blood type matter?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I was watching Castle a couple days ago and blood type emerged as a topic in an investigation. I don't know my blood type. Do you know yours? Does knowing your blood type matter?

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i have no idea what my blood type is.

message 3: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments A+. It's what keeps my hair up.

message 4: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) universal donor, O+.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments ms.petra wrote: "universal donor, O+."

That's my sperm rating.

message 6: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) :)

message 7: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments A+. Knowing has come in handy several times for medical reasons.

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments It's on my blood donor card: AB-.

message 9: by Mary (last edited Feb 23, 2011 06:20AM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) ms.petra wrote: "universal donor, O+."

Actually, O negative is the universal donor blood type because it lacks antigens. I am O negative and I get hounded relentlessly by Virginia Blood Services to donate.

Knowing what your blood type is doesn't really matter because in the event you need a transfusion you'll be tested first; they're not going to take your word for it. In an emergency where there's massive hemorrhage they'll give you O neg.

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11628 comments AB+

Red Cross won't take donations from me anymore. Many years ago it was they who discovered my Hep-B, so I'm on the naughty list forever.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments O- I found out when I was pregnant, they check you just in case things don't go well in labor.

Never really needed to know. Not sure they would take my blood since I have a 50/50 chance I have Huntingtons.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori B+ - also found out when I was pregnant. The Japanese place a lot on blood types, almost like astrology in that type can be telling about personality and temperament.

Anyone ever read Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type? I did, it was interesting in that the premise is you should be eating what was developed at the time your blood type came into existence. In other words, the cavemen had O, and you should be eating meats. A came about when we started settling into agriculture. B when dairy started being eating. AB is very modern. Bun has already poked holes in that theory, somewhere in a universe far far away a long time ago!

message 13: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments A+ I have no idea why I know that... probably from many visits to the emergency room (thankfully not for any thing requiring blood services, mostly concussions and broken bones).

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael I have no idea what my blood type is but after reading this thread I feel like I should.

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I used to but I don't know now.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm A+, and I know because of giving blood. Which they don't always let me do, because sometimes I'm anemic.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori I was not allowed to give blood because of my low blood pressure. And now that's it normal, they would chase me out with garlic!

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
I'm B-. It is also very rare and Sweeter is something common and positive so I had to have too many shots when pregzo with the little Sweetness.

I can't give blood. I throw up and pass out every time someone opens one of my veins.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have no idea

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i have no idea"

But what type of blood do you have?

:-)

message 21: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Yes, because I used to give blood during drives at school.

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I am A+, my son is O+ and gives blood twice a year.

message 23: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Mary wrote: "ms.petra wrote: "universal donor, O+."

Actually, O negative is the universal donor blood type because it lacks antigens. I am O negative and I get hounded relentlessly by Virginia Blood Services..."

thanks for setting me straight. the blood bank called me today to remind me to come in because I have blood that can be used for newborns. That always makes my day!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I am common in every way, O+. I used to be a regular blood donor but no longer work near a centre that's convenient.

message 25: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman I have tiger blood. And Adonis DNA.

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'm trying to get tiger blood, apparently.

message 27: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7087 comments I wish I was more of a tiger mother, but I think I am just too lazy.

message 28: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I am a peasant and proud of it!

message 29: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments I dunno. I never get my blood tested, because I'm scared of needles. But my mom thinks I'm A-, based on my birth records.

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments It can be useful to know, but it's fast to test in an emergency.

message 31: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 488 comments I don't know my blood type but feel like I should.

I've always wanted to donate blood but have never been able to, mostly because I get tattooed too often.

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24154 comments Mod
I can't donate blood because I'm anemic. In fact, I may need to borrow some of yours.

message 33: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7087 comments Daughter #2 has good veins (unlike her Mom) and has donated a gallon of O-positive. She's only 21! The blood bank keeps calling, as so many donors are out with Flu.

message 34: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 488 comments I have glorious veins and no fear of needles. Nurses love me when they have to take blood for tests and stuff. The Red Cross is really missing out by not accepting my blood.

The "no recent tattoos" and "no gays" rules are both ridiculous IMO. It's not like either are risky behaviors these days and they test all the blood for diseases, anyway.

message 35: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I have good veins and no fear of needles either. I've watched so many vials of blood fill up they would probably fill a barrel by now.

message 36: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I have bad veins, but no fear of needles. The Red Cross just told me to go away the last time I tried to give blood.

I have no idea what blood type I am. It must not be the really good one or the RC would have tried harder.

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I was told what my blood type was when I was in the hospital for little. I was pretty out of it and they told me my blood type and that I might need a blood transfusion at the same time. So, yeah, I don't remember.

message 38: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments A positive. it saves time if you go to the hospital and need a blood transfusion if you can tell them your blood type. however, be careful. if you have had a bone marrow transplant that can result in a change in your blood type.

message 39: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4261 comments My daughter, husband and myself are O negative.

I have a card with my blood type that my doctor gave me, in my wallet.

message 40: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Yeah, what Mary said @9.

message 41: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3403 comments AB+. Used to give blood every 3 months, just to do a good thing. I was always borderline anemic at my yearly checkups and took iron supplements. One year, I mentioned to my doc that I gave blood, and he said, "Stop!" I did, and my blood count has been fine since.