Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > SP11 20.4 - A Poet's Non-Poetry

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (new)

Liz M 20.4 A Poet's Non-Poetry
Read a book of non-poetry by a poet.

Ask questions and post suggestions here.

message 2: by Liz M (new)

Liz M reposting message 6 by Katy:

As for the non-poetry books by poets, I don't know whether the intent of the task is for it to be written by a person primarily known as a poet, or whether someone who is more widely known as a non-poet but who also published poetry will do. Here are some people I found for both situations:

Adrienne Rich and Audre Lorde are both primarily known as poets but have also published essays and memoirs.

Alice Fulton is a poet who's also published at least one story collection - haven't read her at all but I did run across her.

I've always known Joyce Carol Oates, Margaret Atwood, Thomas Hardy, and Raymond Carver as fiction writers primarily but they have all published poetry collections as well.

And of course there's Shakespeare.

I also ran across Stuart Dybek who writes both prose and poetry - but I don't know anything about him beyond that.

message 3: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4572 comments If authors known for both poetry and prose count, two of my favorites are:

Sherman Alexie
Benjamin Alire Sáenz

message 4: by Karen Michele (last edited Feb 23, 2011 09:59AM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4572 comments And also Margaret Atwood already listed above.

message 5: by Krista (last edited Feb 24, 2011 07:46AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Maya Angelou works for this.

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments The general rule of if a writer can be considered a poet for the purposes of this task is whether or not he or she has published at least two collections of poetry. If just one collection, no dice. Two or more, they can be included in this task.

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) Thanks Sam! Based on this, all of the authors I listed above will work.

message 9: by Katy (new)

Katy | 911 comments And all the ones I listed in post 2 should also work by that definition.

message 10: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 26, 2011 06:07PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12338 comments In another thread, it was pointed out to me that Louise Erdrich has p ublished enough poetry to qualify for this task. I see also that William Faulkner also has 2 volumes of poetry, so he qualified. I will be using Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury for the Quotable Quotes task.

Edith Wharton is listed for several works for 10.2 Women's History task, but she also published a lot of poetry.

message 11: by Joanne G. (new)

Joanne G. (joannegd) Would Edgar Allan Poe qualify?

message 12: by Liz M (last edited Feb 27, 2011 05:57AM) (new)

Liz M Bojojoti wrote: "Would Edgar Allan Poe qualify?"

Yes. Edgar Allen Poe published more than one collection of poetry:
Tamerlane and Other Poems (1827)
Al Aaraaf, Tamerlane, and Minor Poems (1829)
Poems (1831)
The Raven and Other Poems (1845)
Eureka: A Prose Poem (1848)

message 13: by Joanne G. (new)

Joanne G. (joannegd) Liz M wrote: "Bojojoti wrote: "Would Edgar Allan Poe qualify?"

Yes. Edgar Allen Poe published more than one collection of poetry:
Tamerlane and Other Poems (1827)
Al Aaraaf, Tamerlane, and Minor Poems (1829)
Po..."

Thanks! I looked on Amazon, but I couldn't find but one book of poetry, but I was certain he would have written more.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 50 comments I just wanted to make sure Anne Bronte works for this task. She has poetry works listed here on GoodReads both alone and with her sisters, as well as an edition of poetry with one of her novels. So, would Anne Bronte qualify for this task?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.