Michael Crichton Fans discussion

Your favorite Crichton novel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brandin (last edited May 19, 2011 12:58AM) (new)

Brandin (pan_dim_onium) | 19 comments Mod
This will hopefully be the busiest topic. Post whatever your favorite novel is and why, or post which you can't decide between and we can discuss it one way or the other.
Personally, I feel Sphere was his best work of fiction and Travels was his best nonfiction. Sphere was scientific, mysterious, amusing, and scary at times. It had everything I've come to expect from him. Plus a great twist at the end. Travels is just so interesting. It's kind of an autobiography. He lived a great life.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite was The Andromeda Strain perhaps because I like to read about disease and for them to be very frightening.

The Andromeda Strain

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Curtis | 1 comments My favorite novel of his is Timeline. I am fascinated by European history, particularly that of France so this book struck so many chords. It was the perfect combination of one of my favorite writers and a favorite hobby.

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthewsmith) | 4 comments Lady Alice wrote: "My favorite was The Andromeda Strain perhaps because I like to read about disease and for them to be very frightening.

The Andromeda Strain was one of my favorites as well - it truly told readers just how brilliant Michael Crichton was, even as a young author. His knowledge of medical science was unbelievable.

The Andromeda Strain"

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthewsmith) | 4 comments I think my favorite was probably "The Great Train Robbery" because it captured Crichton's knowledge and well-researched presentation of history while still providing a suspenseful, thrilling heist story. The movie starring Sean Connery was well done, too.

message 6: by Brandin (new)

Matthew wrote: "I think my favorite was probably "The Great Train Robbery" because it captured Crichton's knowledge and well-researched presentation of history while still providing a suspenseful, thrilling heist ..."
Well what's great about the movie was that Crichton directed it himself, so he was able to do with the movie what he might not have been able to do with the book.

message 7: by Mobashar (new)

Mobashar Qureshi | 5 comments My favourite Crichton novel has to be RISING SUN. I enjoyed the mystery aspect of it. I think it was the first Crichton novel I read.

message 8: by Omkar (new)

Omkar (oproton) | 2 comments Well I liked Sphere, Prey, and timeline the most but actually I like all books from Crichton

message 9: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthewsmith) | 4 comments Brandin wrote: "Matthew wrote: "I think my favorite was probably "The Great Train Robbery" because it captured Crichton's knowledge and well-researched presentation of history while still providing a suspenseful, ..."

Was that the one starring Sean Connery? If so, I thought it was a great movie as well. One thing I missed, though - they didn't dye Connery's beard red!! (which took away from the physical attributes of his character, in my opinion).

message 10: by Kiel (new)

Kiel (kielkielkiel) | 14 comments “God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs.”
― Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park

message 11: by Marx (new)

Marx Leo | 7 comments My favorites:

1. The lost world
2. State of fear
3. Between Congo and Prey

I love Michael Crichton because he is very intelligent and it shows in every single one of his books (that I have read). Even though his books are fiction, I love how you can actually learn something from them/him. Michael Crichton has been my favorite author since my sophomore year in high school after I read The Lost world and even since then I haven't cam across an author that intrigues me quite as much! RIP M.C.

message 12: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 11 comments oh, man! I don't think I could choose just one! I loved each and every one (except maybe eaters of the dead- only one I ever had trouble making it through), but the first ones to come to mind are jurassic park, the lost world, the andromeda strain, the great train robbery, and congo...I probably learned the most from state of fear and next...I was so sad when he died, and I wish he had been more prolific- but, he had no reason not to think that he had plenty of time :(

message 13: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (elizabethdarcy2594) My favorite is Jurassic Park no doubt. I love his writing, but Jurassic Park has a special place in my heart and mind. I loved the movie since I was 5 and bought a used copy of the book myself. It was the first Crichton I read. I fell in love with the genre because of that book.

Now, I'll read anything Crichton wrote =)

message 14: by Kiel (new)

Kiel (kielkielkiel) | 14 comments Still, PREY is the best of all.

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam (samjr_psych) | 1 comments Congo was one of my first Crichton reads - very imaginative. But my favorites were Jurassic Park and Lost World - it is the information that I always find so entertaining and enticing. The Rising Sun taught me tons about the Japanese culture.

message 16: by Marx (new)

Marx Leo | 7 comments If people haven't read Micro yet (his last novel before he died) then do it. If you liked congo, Jurrasic park, the lost world, and Prey you will LOVE Micro.

message 17: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthewsmith) | 4 comments Marx wrote: "If people haven't read Micro yet (his last novel before he died) then do it. If you liked congo, Jurrasic park, the lost world, and Prey you will LOVE Micro."

Hhmm...not a big fan of "Prey," but Congo and Jurassic Park were legendary. There's a fine line between science and science fiction, and Crichton definitely crossed too far into the sci-fi realm with Prey. I'd love to read Micro, though. I thought the last novel he wrote was Pirate Latitudes? I need to research...

message 18: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 11 comments Matthew wrote: "Marx wrote: "If people haven't read Micro yet (his last novel before he died) then do it. If you liked congo, Jurrasic park, the lost world, and Prey you will LOVE Micro."

Hhmm...not a big fan of ..."

I'm pretty sure that pirate latitudes was the last one he completed. some other guy (who I'd never heard of) completed micro, I believe...

message 19: by Kiel (new)

Kiel (kielkielkiel) | 14 comments Marx wrote: "If people haven't read Micro yet (his last novel before he died) then do it. If you liked congo, Jurrasic park, the lost world, and Prey you will LOVE Micro."

really?oh its so expensive in our country :(( plus the book micro was not done entirely by him .

message 20: by Kiel (new)

Kiel (kielkielkiel) | 14 comments Kirby wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Marx wrote: "If people haven't read Micro yet (his last novel before he died) then do it. If you liked congo, Jurrasic park, the lost world, and Prey you will LOVE Micro."

Hhmm...n..."

i agree.well, i read its first part and i knew and felt it wasnt crichton's words.

message 21: by Marx (last edited Apr 04, 2012 12:27PM) (new)

Marx Leo | 7 comments yeah, not done entirely by Crichton. But I thought it was a good book anyway :)

message 22: by Kiel (new)

Kiel (kielkielkiel) | 14 comments what do u think about STATE OF FEAR? im planning to read it.

message 23: by Marx (new)

Marx Leo | 7 comments It's really good.. it's a little slow at first but once things start coming together it's really exiting! I haven't read it in years.. thinking about picking it up again

message 24: by Kiel (new)

Kiel (kielkielkiel) | 14 comments I SEE :)

AND I GUESS THAT IS ONE OF MC'S ASSETS. HE CAN GIVE THE READERS A LOT OF DIFFERENT STORIES AND IN THE END, ALL OF THOSE WILL COME TOGETHER. THE BOOK NEXT IS A PROOF :)

message 25: by Dave (new)

Dave Buschi | 1 comments What I loved about Crichton's books was he was always several years ahead of the curve. I don't know what sources he read, but he somehow managed to come out with a book every year or so with a storyline that was two (or ten) years ahead of reality. RISING SUN right before everyone realized Japan was becoming an economic juggernaut buying up all our real estate. DISCLOSURE which introduced us to the Internet before any of us knew what an email was. JURASSIC PARK and the concept of cloning. PREY and nano robots. It was like he had a looking glass into the future. It was all the more amazing when you realized he started writing each of those books at least two years before he released them. I'm a fan of so many of his books. STATE OF FEAR challenged my beliefs more than I would have thought possible. You need to read it and ask questions like he did. Does the media stick with the scare game even if it means distorting the truth? Michael gave us the answer, and I for one was surprised.

Best Crichton novel? That's a tough one.

Guess I'll have to go with number one: ANDROMEDA STRAIN. The man was brilliant from the very beginning and he is missed.

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| I would say Jurassic Park straight off cos dinos are huge with me but I also loved reading The Lost World a LOT! And Andromeda Strain was sooooo exciting but then I found the Sphere which had a really unique concept but I guess it flopped somewhere cos of the female character who I couldnt relate to well, so then I would have to toss up between STate of Fear which was amazingly scientific ...and Timeline which was big when i first read it but since I watched the movie on it i kinda dont like it that much. I have never been able to read through Rising SUn, somehow I cant get past the dead pros on the conference table with japs gawking in japanese around her dead body, yeah gimme anime anyday and kill bill...

so back on track...I would then be trying to pick a favourite between Congo which was cute and weird, and Prey which was i think about nano beings a bit creepy...then i liked eaters of the dead cos its language was so creepy difficult it took me two-three days to finish the book unlike others which gave me a headache after i read thos ein one sitting pretending to be asleep....wow no wonder im not reading much these days!!! whew I m not coming back here ever!!!! :)

message 27: by Deb (new)

Deb | 1 comments I have read just about all of Crichton's work (not Micro and Pirates -- only read the first chapter -- it so clearly needed an edit). I would have to say, though, that the stories I re-read more than once make my fave list...

1) Jurassic Park
2) Timeline
3) Eaters of the Dead (The 13th Warrior)

All the books are so much better than the movies, but I loved the movies too (with Timeline being my least favorite of the three movies because it spent so much time on the setting that it forgot the relationships, and to some extent, the issues around the technology, which the book was more central in teasing out, I think).

message 28: by Sriram (new)

Sriram Ravichandran (ravsriram) I have read most of MCs works. I think he is a master of research and in immaculately mixing fiction with his results of his research. My fave list

1. Jurassic Park
2. The Great Train Robbery / Pirate Latitudes
3. Timeline / Rising Sun

In Travels, I remember his final lecture in which he almost convinces the reader on the limitations of science and the possibilities of the human mind (and inner travels). A masterpiece and a must-read.

message 29: by Uri (last edited Dec 01, 2012 06:04PM) (new)

Uri | 1 comments My top five:

1. Prey
2. Timeline
3. The Great Train Robbery
4. Jurassic Park
5. Andromeda Strain

message 30: by Brandin (new)

Sriram wrote: "In Travels, I remember his final lecture in which he almost convinces the reader on the limitations of science and the possibilities of the human mind (and inner travels). A masterpiece and a must-read. "

That last speech was amazing. The book itself really changed my mind on meta-physics in general.

message 31: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Wiginton | 3 comments My fave book is Prey. I absolutely love the suspense that Crichton creates.

message 32: by Jae (new)

Jae Morton | 1 comments Hard to pick a favorite... I'm torn between Jurassic Park, the Lost World and Pirate Latitudes. I love Crichton's historical fictions but who doesn't love a good Ian Malcom morphine trip?

message 33: by Sunny (new)

Sunny Parmar | 1 comments I dunno, State of Fear was my personal favorite no matter its controversy. Next up would probably be Travels. Perhaps I am just one prone to these kinds of topics.
Don't forget Timeline.

message 34: by Mehaboobmunna (new)

Mehaboobmunna (-m13) | 1 comments oh there are many. I can't choose. Jurassic park, congo, sphere and a lot to read too

message 35: by Sandeep (new)

Sandeep (sandeeep_ss) | 2 comments Jurassic Park, Lost World, Andromeda Strain, Timeline, Sphere in no particular order :)

message 36: by Mattster (new)

Mattster (book-a-holic-audio) | 1 comments Jurassic park and part 2 , although was that written by him ? I loved timeline , prey and micro also. Is there someone that had taken Crichton's place ? I need some great book topics like he had :/

message 37: by Sandeep (new)

Sandeep (sandeeep_ss) | 2 comments Mattster wrote: "Jurassic park and part 2 , although was that written by him ? I loved timeline , prey and micro also. Is there someone that had taken Crichton's place ? I need some great book topics like he had :/"

Lost world was written by him, though the latest one, Micro was in part written by him and Richard Preston, who too has few good ones like the Cobra Event. But Crichton is my all time favourite

message 38: by Karthik (new)

Karthik Pasupathy (karthikpasupathy) | 1 comments My favorite crichton novel is "Sphere" and "Timeline". They were awesome..The recently released "Pirate Latitudes" is also a mind blowing one :)

message 39: by Anna (new)

Anna | 4 comments I could never choose a fave, he wrote about such a wide range of topics! He is a legend and no one has come close to him that I have read. Faves are Next, State of Fear, Congo, Prey,.... Can't I just list them all?!

message 40: by Mobashar (new)

Mobashar Qureshi | 5 comments RISING SUN! I loved the mystery element to it and I was impressed how Crichton was able to mesh research with fiction. A great read!

message 41: by Paul (new)

Paul Bartusiak (infernoz13) | 1 comments Hello Crichton fans; hope you don't mind this intrusion, but as of June 26, a Goodreads Giveaway starts for Source*Forged Armor, and from June 26-27, the Kindle version of Source*Forged Armor is available for free at Amazon.

I'm calling this to your attention because SFA was written to be in the style of Crichton, along with hints of Le Carre and Ludlum, and a with "literary" undertone.

Please consider giving it a try, and I'd love to hear what this fan base thinks!
-Paul
Source*Forged Armor by Paul J. Bartusiak
Source*Forged Armor

message 42: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Nolan (filmsandbooks) | 1 comments In order for me:
Jurassic Park
Andromeda Strain
Timeline
Prey

message 43: by Keaghlan (new)

Keaghlan | 2 comments I don't know if I can settle on one favorite. I could probably narrow it down to Timeline, The Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park, Prey, and Sphere.

message 44: by Omkar (new)

Omkar (oproton) | 2 comments Marx wrote: "My favorites:

1. The lost world
2. State of fear
3. Between Congo and Prey

I love Michael Crichton because he is very intelligent and it shows in every single one of his books (that I have read)...."

same over here. read all of his books. Even the non-fiction. He is a brilliant story-teller. He is very much of a role model for me

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I would have to say Prey is my favorite by him.

message 46: by Tyson (new)

Tyson Blackburn | 2 comments My number one favorite would have to be Jurassic Park. It was the first Crichton book that I read and it had me hooked since I was 11. 15 years later and he has been the most influential author for me.

message 47: by Swati (new)

Swati Agrawal (swatiag27) | 1 comments My favorite one is Timeline - my first Crichton novel.
Also The Lost World for all the detailed description.

message 48: by Carissa (new)

Carissa Harrington | 4 comments Timeline is my favorite book by him. It was the first one of his that I read when I was 14. It literally changed my entire view of books. He had such a knack of writing science fiction and making it seem like it could actually happen. My least favorite was Pirate Latitudes. I could just tell that it wasn't his voice at the end, you know.

message 49: by Carissa (new)

Carissa Harrington | 4 comments Sandeep wrote: "Mattster wrote: "Jurassic park and part 2 , although was that written by him ? I loved timeline , prey and micro also. Is there someone that had taken Crichton's place ? I need some great book topi..."

I really liked Micro too. Especially because of the collaborated effort by him and Richard Preston. The Hot Zone is an amazing non-fiction read.

message 50: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Cammans | 1 comments Growing up in fossil country, Utah, and having degrees in Geology and Biology............ Jurassic Park and The Lost World hands down.......... after that, my word....... I just love his writings. I could just about list all of them.
I remember walking out of the theater with my girlfriend and being afraid to look up into a clear night sky! I had to read the book.......... Then cam Jurassic Park........ My wife and 6 kids stood in line from 9:30 pm to get into the first showing at midnight.... Luckily, I was at a bookstore closing and found a hard back first edition of Jurassic Park with a plastic cover..... I opened it and there was his signature... Oh Joy! That is on my favorite hardback book shelf for everyone to see.

« previous 1