Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Other books like the Breeds series....

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by McKenzie (new)

McKenzie | 57 comments This is gonna sound like a really strange request, but I am seeking a series similar to Lora Leigh's series in terms of how her sex scenes are written. I like how she made the characters more believably human/animal not just with how she made her male characters act, but with her sex scenes. Those of you who have read her series know exactly what I mean. This woman did her homework on male cat and dog anatomy regarding mating. And for some reason, that just made her sex scenes even better.

BTW, I hope this topic isn't too adult. I figured not since a lot of the series discussed here have a lot of good smut in them.

Are there any other series out there that use these kinds of elements? I'm up for recommendations. Even if they aren't super similar, I'm up for a recommendation you think I'll like anyways. :)

Thanks, all!

message 2: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 209 comments I totaly get it, you have the Cascadia Wolves by Lauren Dane they are pretty good and the smutty parts give Lora Leigh a run for her money. LOL
hope you like them If I can think of anything else I will let you know.
I and read more , I just can't think of them of the top of my head.

message 3: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 453 comments You mean the barbs & knots the Breed males have? That freaked the hell out of me in her series. Way too close to bestiality for me. But good luck, McKenzie! I hope you find the kind of books you're looking for!

BTW, would double penis work? Because I've read the first book in a series where apparently the heroes are packing double heat down below.

message 4: by ൠSinful (new)

ൠSinful  (sinful) | 118 comments Hmm. That sounds like the Satyrs.. I had no idea shifters were sporting twins too.

message 5: by ൠSinful (new)

ൠSinful  (sinful) | 118 comments Are you part of the hot and steamy PNR group? They may have suggestions. Kindle Smut group may too.

I know lots of sexy shifter books, but none that jump to mind where the author incorporated such physical similarities during copulation.

message 6: by McKenzie (new)

McKenzie | 57 comments Thanks guys.

I am not part of that group but I am going to look them up right now.

Benita Vehnom  Ruiz (bluebell7) | 114 comments ൠSinful wrote: "Hmm. That sounds like the Satyrs.. I had no idea shifters were sporting twins too."

Thats creepy lol.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) not to the same heat level - but i remember the knot being mentioned in Kenyon's first were-hunter book...

other than that, i can think of a few m/m, but that's it - and even then not to the same extent

message 9: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn In Lover Avenged, Rehevenge has a knot, and he worries that Ehlena will be creeped out.

As for "similar" type books, try the Elemental Witches by Anya Bast. the first book is Witch Fire.

message 10: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments McKenzie wrote: "This is gonna sound like a really strange request, but I am seeking a series similar to Lora Leigh's series in terms of how her sex scenes are written. I like how she made the characters more belie..."

Black Dagger Brotherhood, by JR Ward. I read them and then Adrian's series was recommended to me because I liked the BDB series. They are similiar. Christine Feehan's Carpathian series is sort of similiar. Lynsay Sands Argeneau series has the same heavy sexual attraction between mates that these other series have, but the violence is a little less

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth (vanburren) | 22 comments I would recommend the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian. Actually, I recommend them to anyone interested in paranormal books. They're high on violence, heated sex and strong connections between the couples. Everyone compares them to the BDB by JR Ward.

message 12: by Maggie (new)

Maggie James (maggiej) | 17 comments I highly recommend The Midnight Breed series as well...you also might want to look into Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld...pretty hot too!!!

message 13: by La La (new)

La La | 245 comments I heard that Cheryl Brooks Cat Star series was pretty explicit.

message 14: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (toastqueen) Beth wrote: "I would recommend the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian. Actually, I recommend them to anyone interested in paranormal books. They're high on violence, heated sex and strong connections between the couples. Everyone compares them to the BDB by JR Ward. "

Honestly, I've always wondered why there was never a lawsuit or cries of plagiarism as the two series seem SO similar to me!

message 15: by McKenzie (new)

McKenzie | 57 comments LethalLovely~Trust in Me & Fall As Well wrote: "You mean the barbs & knots the Breed males have? That freaked the hell out of me in her series. Way too close to bestiality for me. But good luck, McKenzie! I hope you find the kind of books you're..."

What was the series with the double manhood? I must look into this.

message 16: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 86 comments La La wrote: "I heard that Cheryl Brooks Cat Star series was pretty explicit."

They are but I personally love them! I'll take some snard any time (you'll have to read the book to find out what that is)! :)

message 17: by La La (new)

La La | 245 comments The Double manhood series is Elizabeth Amber's Lord of the Satyr series. These books are.......different. You have to read them for yourself to find out what I mean. lolololololol. Below are the main three books.

Nicholas by Elizabeth Amber Raine (The Lords of Satyr, #2) by Elizabeth Amber Lyon (The Lords Of Satyr, #3) by Elizabeth Amber

message 18: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 86 comments La La wrote: "The Double manhood series is Elizabeth Amber's Lord of the Satyr series. These books are.......different. You have to read them for yourself to find out what I mean. lolololololol. Below are th..."

Nicholas is my favorite... I've read it a couple of times now. I just bought Dane not to long ago. This makes me want to go find it and read it.

message 19: by McKenzie (new)

McKenzie | 57 comments Thanks! I'm gonna have to look more into them.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

McKenzie wrote: "This is gonna sound like a really strange request, but I am seeking a series similar to Lora Leigh's series in terms of how her sex scenes are written. I like how she made the characters more belie..."

New Species Series by Laurann Dohner. Just finished reading this series, well the first book so far, but the story and the way she writes her sex sences is very similar to that of Lora Leigh's books.

Book 1 - Fury
Ellie is horrified to discover the pharmaceutical company she works for is doing illegal experiments. Company scientists have spliced human and animal DNA, creating exotic new species. One such “experiment” captures her heart and she’ll do anything to save him—even if he hates her for it.

Fury has never known compassion or love. He’s spent his life in a cell, chained and abused by humans. The one woman he allowed himself to trust betrayed him. Now he’s free and set on vengeance. He vows to end her life but when she’s finally in his grasp, harming her is the last thing he wants to do to the sexy little human.

Reader Advisory: This story contains the heartrending aftermath of a rape scene involving a captive male. Another scene involves capture and forced touching by a hurt, vengeful Fury.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (wolfgirl637) | 9 comments Sorry, kind of weird and off topic but do any of ya'll know whic book (from the Breeds series) is it where right after a sex scene, the girl whispers "I like your animal," or something to that effect?

message 22: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 231 comments I recently started a tag for my book shelves called exotic _____

I was thinking of your post.

The Catstar books Slave (Cat Star Chronicles, #1) by Cheryl Brooks
Alien Overnight by Robin L. Rotham Machine Lust Black Copper by Michelle Marquis Mine to Take (Matrix of Destiny, #3) by Dara Joy

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) maybe bengal's heart...I remember reading it vaguely I think and i've only read that far - i'm pretty sure its in one of the mmpb ones

Lauren wrote: "Sorry, kind of weird and off topic but do any of ya'll know whic book (from the Breeds series) is it where right after a sex scene, the girl whispers "I like your animal," or something to that effect?"

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 343 comments I just started this series (I've read the first 4 or 5) I really like it!

message 25: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 231 comments Suz wrote: "McKenzie wrote: "This is gonna sound like a really strange request, but I am seeking a series similar to Lora Leigh's series in terms of how her sex scenes are written. I like how she made the char..."

these books are good and always exactly like the Breeds. A little sweeter.

message 26: by Ladymcbeth (last edited Oct 08, 2011 09:17AM) (new)

Ladymcbeth | 53 comments Yessss the new wpecies by Laurann Dohner ... the one i prefer is Valiant the third one :)

Valiant Valiant by Laurann Dohner

message 27: by Gina (new)

Gina (va2mi4vroom) | 1 comments Lauren wrote: "Sorry, kind of weird and off topic but do any of ya'll know whic book (from the Breeds series) is it where right after a sex scene, the girl whispers "I like your animal," or something to that effect?"

It is from Megan's Mark. I love that my Mac will search inside files - makes it easy to find that kind of thing.

message 28: by Dizzielizzie2181 (new)

Dizzielizzie2181 | 2 comments I am not sure but are you sure you read all of the breed books cuz there is ten of them that are published by Ellora's cave and they are actually hard to find like Tempting the Beast, The Man Within and Elizabeth's Wolf to name a few, if you go to lora leighs web site she has a complete list in chronological order. I know it took almost a year for me to realize that Megan's mark was not the first in the series- a pleasant surprise!

message 29: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Dizzielizzie2181 wrote: "I am not sure but are you sure you read all of the breed books cuz there is ten of them that are published by Ellora's cave and they are actually hard to find like Tempting the Beast, The Man Withi..."

You can find all of them even the ones published by Ellora's Cave

http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeths-Wolf...
http://www.amazon.com/Tempting-Beast-...
http://www.amazon.com/The-Within-Feli...

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Lora Leigh's website gives the reading order of all her series on her website. Breeds, Tempting Seals and Elite Ops are HOT series. I have read all the Breed books and stories in order. Took a couple months.

I haven't read Dohner's series yet, but people that read Breeds first seem to like them the best, while people that read Dohner's first seem to prefer that series. I'd like to know if anyone who read both have an opinion on this.

message 31: by Ladymcbeth (new)

Ladymcbeth | 53 comments I've read both ... but not all the books of the breed serie.
More I read the new species more I am in withdrawal of the book and want more.
More I read the breeds, more I feel lost in all details and a little boring. I don't really know how to explain my feelings about breeds ... I liked the first a lot but others not so much !

message 32: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 231 comments The Breed books are darker and deeper emotionally. I think this doesn't make them better but just different. I will say I have never rated the Species books above a 3 I think where Coyote's Mate (Breeds, #18) by Lora Leigh is a 5 star read for me.

message 33: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (bellatrix22) | 1 comments I've read both and infinitely prefer Breeds because the male characters are so perfect/dominating and the plot is exciting all the way through. Lora Leigh gets boring, and the characters are less likable. That said, I will have Lora Leigh on pre-order. But I am up at midnight waiting for the Breeds to download to my kindle :)

message 34: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 195 comments I'm starting the Breeds series last year. Found out. Some books in this series are hard to find. So I have bits n' pieces. And it's annoying as hell.

My question to you guys. Do I really have to read them in order?

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 112 comments Wan ~DragonsWan~ wrote: "I'm starting the Breeds series last year. Found out. Some books in this series are hard to find. So I have bits n' pieces. And it's annoying as hell.

My question to you guys. Do I really have to r..."

i have read them in order and have had no problems finding them - but then i did get all but the last 3 in actual print form

message 36: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 231 comments I don't really think so but I am not an order kinda person.

message 37: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jun 20, 2012 11:52AM) (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 21 comments I would suggest reading the Breed series in order as some of the events are in chronological order.

The Breed books require a little more thinking as they actually have a more in depth plot with them being 'out' to the world.

And if you are looking for the Breed series, I got all of mine here, especially the early ones, like Elizabeth's Wolf ($11.00).

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5039...

message 38: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright I've actually been wondering about writing a male character with something extra. . . I may check out these books for research (and enjoyment). lol!

message 39: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Maybach (PaperShredder) | 4 comments Was going through my book-shelf and found a few titles that might be what your looking for. (warning, these books are VERY graphic)
The first in this series features a "Beast" like alien with the characteristics of an animal. It is very much described in the sex scenes. Claimed (Brides of the Kindred, #1) by Evangeline Anderson

This next one is another that while is sci-fi/ alien in nature, the aliens have very cat like qualities in the sex scenes. Tyger, Tyger Burning Bryght (Orion, #1) by Cathryn Cade

Another, and one of my all time favorites comes from the ACRO series. I believe it's the second of the series. It's called Unleashing the Storm (ACRO, #2) by Sydney Croft . In this book, it's the female character that has the animal like qualities. However she is human and was born that way. It's actually a very good paranormal series that covers a wide variety of different types of preternatural abilities. Again, the sex is very graphic.

message 40: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Alicia wrote: "Was going through my book-shelf and found a few titles that might be what your looking for. (warning, these books are VERY graphic)
The first in this series features a "Beast" like alien with the c..."

I heard Claimed was good. I may need to check that one out. On Amazon it has three authors under the book title. Do you happen to know why that is?

message 41: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Maybach (PaperShredder) | 4 comments Kenya wrote: "Alicia wrote: "Was going through my book-shelf and found a few titles that might be what your looking for. (warning, these books are VERY graphic)
The first in this series features a "Beast" like a..."

Hi Kenya. Yes, Brides of Kindred series was pretty neat, I thought!
As far as the three names listed above for the author. I think this series started as a self-published work, or a small printing project type of thing. The author is Evangeline Anderson, but the editor, and illustrator are listed up top as well. (Barb Rice, and Reese Dante).

message 42: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww

dugh! lol!

Ok so I'm going to check those out definetly!!!

message 43: by Jon (new)

Jon Mills (jon_mills) | 6 comments I think i need to take a cold shower, eat some ice cream and climb a tree after reading this thread :)

message 44: by Jai (new)

Jai | 81 comments Oh, I so wish I could say there's an app for that. Since I can't, I'll mention that some brave, kinky soul compiled a list of that:

erotica and romance's men, vamps and alien males with endowed and unique penises

And my good deed for the Lord's day is done. Ahem.

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 112 comments McKenzie wrote: "This is gonna sound like a really strange request, but I am seeking a series similar to Lora Leigh's series in terms of how her sex scenes are written. I like how she made the characters more belie..."

Breeds is a great series...read them all

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 112 comments Dizzielizzie2181 wrote: "I am not sure but are you sure you read all of the breed books cuz there is ten of them that are published by Ellora's cave and they are actually hard to find like Tempting the Beast, The Man Withi..."

There are actually 27 breeds books - I have most of them in paperback but the lat 6 in e-book.
they are easy to find books

link to chronology & reading order http://www.loraleigh.com/index.php?op...

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 112 comments this is book # 27

Stygian's Honor Stygian's Honor (Breeds, #27) by Lora Leigh

message 48: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments I love the Breeds series, but I have to admit I was soooo disappointed with Stygian's book.

message 49: by Paris (kerbytejas) (last edited Sep 23, 2012 04:54PM) (new)

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 112 comments P.A. wrote: "I love the Breeds series, but I have to admit I was soooo disappointed with Stygian's book."

@PA it was great - I liked it better then the one right before it if i recall, as i recall i think i gave it 5 stars - would have to go back and look @ my reviews

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 112 comments Jon wrote: "I think i need to take a cold shower, eat some ice cream and climb a tree after reading this thread :)"

how come - this is pretty tame stuff? or will the tree provide a good scratch to an itch?

« previous 1