Kindle Haters discussion

Will the kindle replace books?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by McKenzie (new)

McKenzie | 1 comments Hey guys. I'm new here.

I'm gonna start by saying I detest the kindle. Why?

Well, like others have mentioned on the only other thread here, I really like the feel of books. I love the smell of the pages and I like pretty covers. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing a huge, overflowing bookshelf. As someone who probably owns around 3000 books (not all are cataloged here.....I have a sizeable manga collection which I have cataloged at librarything).
I LOVE organizing and setting up new bookshelves. Looking at my collection gives me a happy, satisfied feeling.

Borders is suffering due to the kindle. A lot of them are going out of business. I know of three in my area that are closing. I am terrified that eventually bookstores will be gone altogether and we can only get ebooks. I look so forward to going into Borders to browse through all the books. I like looking at the covers and flipping through the pages before I make a decision on what to buy. I can literally spend hours in there. I have to tear myself away from that place most of the time, haha!

Heck, I just dropped about $100 at a Borders store thanks to my tax return money. :P And I could have easily spent more.

I will admit the kindle is nice if you want to save space. My books that I have really do take up a lot of space I really don't have. But I certainly don't mind sharing my house with all these wonderful books.

Kindle doesn't give you high quality pictures and illistrations some books can. I have a large collection of dog books and I love looking at the pictures.

Kindles must be charged. I don't want to read something only to the battery die, or lay in a position where I need to be close to an electrical outlet for it to charge. My books can be brought into bed with me. They can also go to work with me. I don't think my work would allow me to bring a kindle since we cannot use electronics while we work. I have a lot of reading time while on the clock. I love that about my job.

Kindles only have so much space on them. I know it's probably a reasonably large amount, but if you read as much as I do it will eventually be full.

Electronics are prone to error. What if all your date got erased and you lost all your books? Even if you could somehow redownload all you bought, it would still take a lot of time and effort.

Kindles are good for some people, but me and others I have talked to don't want them to replace the printed word altogether. I'm a big fan of electronic things like laptops and smart phones, etc.....but when it comes to books, I want a real, paper copy.

I don't want bookstores to be gone either. I love the atmosphere of Borders. The smell of books and coffee is awesome. :D

Anybody else agree? Any thoughts?

message 2: by Paige (last edited Apr 22, 2011 12:23PM) (new)

Paige  | 7 comments Mod
I know!!! My Borders just went down! I bought a bookshelf from there, though, and reorganized my books, though, which is ultra fun to me! You cant do that with a kindle!
And you're right--I always wondered what would happen if you lost all of your books! What then?
I think if you have a book you should be able to somehow download it onto your kindle, but you can't. You have to buy it again, which just sucks.

message 3: by Zanib (new)

Zanib  (dawnofthebooks) McKenzie wrote: "Hey guys. I'm new here.

I'm gonna start by saying I detest the kindle. Why?

Well, like others have mentioned on the only other thread here, I really like the feel of books. I love the smell o..."

... I didn't get the chance to, er, finish that huge paragraph up there^^ but I read enough to know that you are amazing, period.
I can't imagin living in a world where books no longer exist, and everything is hidden behind a bright screen. Plus, I know right? How fun is it to organize books? Especially manga! *tries to control herself* I mean, just looking at the manga books lined side by side... I don't even know how to describe it.

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 1 comments (: Paige :) wrote: "I know!!! My Borders just went down! I bought a bookshelf from there, though, and reorganized my books, though, which is ultra fun to me! You cant do that with a kindle!
And you're right--I always..."

Someone else who like reorganising their books-I'm not alone! So much pleasure can be derived from this and skimming through books on shelves-no equivalent on a kindle, I don't think.

message 5: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (kamitc) | 3 comments PLEASE!! NOOOO! (It honestly might someday....maybe not while this generation is alive but someday.....)