Snarkfest Bookshelf discussion

General > Welcome Snarkers!

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica | 3 comments Mod
Hi everyone!
Welcome to the Snarkfest Bookshelf. I've left the controls open here, so everyone can post to the discussion board, bookshelves, etc.
I have no idea what I'm doing otherwise, though, so if you have questions/concerns/complaints, let me know!

Erica (aka mokey75)

message 2: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (mceciliama) Hi everybody!
I'm fairly new on Goodreads and I don't comment as much on Snarkfest but I wanted to join as I've bought many books recommended by Snarkers on the Current Reads thread, and I hope to discover many more here!

Cecilia (aka Ceci7)

message 3: by Carrie (last edited Feb 22, 2011 09:19PM) (new)

Carrie (carriesnead) | 3 comments Yay, SF group!

Now you can all bear witness to the fury of my YA addiction.

Carrie (aka Carrie Ann)

message 4: by Particle_Person (last edited Feb 22, 2011 09:02PM) (new)

Particle_Person | 4 comments I'm still learning how this doohickey works. *kicks the springs*

Particle_person (aka particle_person)

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela (alwatkins) | 7 comments Hi everyone,

I'm here for the recommendations and possibly to reveal the extent of my YA / urban paranormal addiction.

Angela (adingoatemyusername)

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa  Austin  | 1 comments Hey guys! Thanks for starting this! I'm totally excited.

Melissa (escape)

message 7: by Katy (new)

Katy (britomartis) | 1 comments Hey everyone, looking forward to finding new and exciting things to read.
I'm also using this to keep track of what I read this year.

Katy (Ariadne)

message 8: by Ahk (last edited Feb 23, 2011 06:38AM) (new)

Ahk | 17 comments Hello! My profile is private but happy to friend any SF folks. Excited about the nexus of these two sites!

Alice (puddingcup)

message 9: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 17 comments Hi, everyone! This should be great fun, I've learned about some awesome books from posters at Snarkfest.

Tracey (Tabby)

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1 comments Yay! I have been wanting to join GoodReads for some time AND have been looking for a good book group. This should be fun!

Michelle (mialoubug)

message 11: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (blue_canary) | 9 comments Hello all! I haven't used my GoodReads account in awhile, but this is a good excuse to update. Because my to-read list isn't crowded enough!

Glad to see some YA fans here!

Carrie (inversed)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! I love me some GoodReads. And the Current Reads on SF has lead me to much book buying, so....this should be expensive. :)

message 13: by Amy! (new)

Amy! (missamylibrarian) | 13 comments Yay! I'm kind of obsessive about my Goodreads shelves and categorizing my different books, so please don't laugh at my weirdly specific 100+ bookshelves.

Amy! (EggSpreader)

message 14: by Ahk (new)

Ahk | 17 comments Amy! wrote: "Yay! I'm kind of obsessive about my Goodreads shelves and categorizing my different books, so please don't laugh at my weirdly specific 100+ bookshelves.

Amy! (EggSpreader)"

I laugh because GoodReads is where I can be my obsessive, nerdly self. I love having lots of shelves, though not nearly as impressive as yours.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (eovaai) | 2 comments Hello! Scarlettfish checking in. I'm new to this Goodreads stuff but I read a lot (hello, English PhD here) so this should be fun.

message 16: by Mo (new)

Mo F | 5 comments Hello! I had to stop myself adding shelves as it was cutting into my reading time, but I might just go nuts!

Mo(epudom)

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen (jensa) | 5 comments Hey!!! At some point I will give in to peer pressure and read the Hunger Games series.

Jen (jensa)

message 18: by Diana (new)

Diana | 3 comments Hallo, Menshevixen here. I actually just got a Goodreads account and am in the midst of trying to import my LibraryThing bookshelf.

message 19: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 1 comments Angela wrote: "Hi everyone,

I'm here for the recommendations and possibly to reveal the extent of my YA / urban paranormal addiction.

Angela (adingoatemyusername)"

Haha! I think you will have good company with both those addictions here.

message 20: by Erica (new)

Erica | 3 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "Hey!!! At some point I will give in to peer pressure and read the Hunger Games series.

Jen (jensa)"

...one of us...one of us...one of us...

message 21: by Ahk (new)

Ahk | 17 comments Dianah wrote: "Hallo, Menshevixen here. I actually just got a Goodreads account and am in the midst of trying to import my LibraryThing bookshelf."

What's the difference between GoodReads and LibraryThing? I mean, is there a reason to have accounts at both sites?

message 22: by Diana (new)

Diana | 3 comments @Ahk, hmm, well, I dunno. Obsessive cataloging tendencies? /librarian

They do function about the same. More people I know personally have Goodreads (and there is no SF LibraryThing account, to my knowledge).

message 23: by Brigid (new)

Brigid (brigid31) | 2 comments Now everyone at Snarkfest will see just how many romance novels I read!

I'm bbridges over there.

message 24: by Liesl (new)

Liesl (jcpdiesel21) | 34 comments Mod
Hey, everyone! I love reading, Goodreads and Snarkfest, so this group encapsulates all of that, hooray! I have already added so many of your suggestions from the Current Reads thread to my to-read list, and now I am sure to add even more!

Liesl (jcpdiesel21)

message 25: by Particle_Person (new)

Particle_Person | 4 comments I'm trying to figure out how to get the contents of my bookcase into Goodreads. I've never cataloged it before, so it's gonna be a job.

So far I've found that the Goodreads iPhone app does a so-so job with the barcodes, so I'm using the Snaptell app instead. That app lets you take a picture of the cover instead of the barcode, which seems to work more reliably. I wrote a Java application to convert the Snaptell files into Goodreads files and that's how I'm going to get the books in.

It's all so f'ing complicated!

message 26: by Britt (last edited Feb 24, 2011 12:41AM) (new)

Britt Graves | 2 comments Now I get to see what everyone else is reading and prepare to spend even more money buying my own copies. But I can justify it. Really.

Britt. (maxell1313)

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (filwdork) | 2 comments Yay! I've discovered many a good book through the Current Reads thread so I'm excited to what else is suggested!

Elizabeth (filwdork)

message 28: by Julia (new)

Julia (chictodo) | 1 comments Hey all! It's eventide82 here - I'm new to Goodreads, but am looking forward to getting some recommendations for new books!

message 29: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (Meaghano9) | 4 comments Hi from dinahmoe! As you can probably tell from my book list, I like mystery series (Robert Parker and Dennis Lehane in particular) and true crime. I would love any suggestions about more true crime books. I am not a big fan of Ann Rule, because I think she gets too gushy about idealizing the victims that she writes about. I also like police procedurals, and funny non-fiction.

message 30: by Particle_Person (new)

Particle_Person | 4 comments Meaghan wrote: "I also like police procedurals, and funny non-fiction. "

For police procedurals, have you read Catherine Aird? She's like a funny version of PD James.

message 31: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (Meaghano9) | 4 comments I will check her out, thanks!

message 32: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (mceciliama) Meaghan wrote: "I like mystery series (Robert Parker and Dennis Lehane in particular) and true crime.

Meaghan, I'd love some suggestions on mystery series or just mystery books. I really like those, though I tend to read more of the NYTimes bestsellers. I've only read "The Stranger Beside Me" by Ann Rule, but it's also a genre I'd be interested in and would like recommendations if you had any!

message 33: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (Meaghano9) | 4 comments Cecilia, besides Parker and Lehane, I love Harlan Coben (totally funny and snarky, but sweet, compelling and clever), Carl Hiaasen (absurd!), and Lee Child. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have great books as well. For true crime "Helter Skelter" is the best (written by the prosecutor in the Manson case) and "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote is considered the first "true crime" book.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mackey | 1 comments Hi all! I read a lot of YA and random other things. I am very susceptible to peer pressure so I'll probably book stalk lots of you. :)

-Sarah (SarahJanet)

message 35: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve | 4 comments Because I need more books to read. (you can sense the sarcasm here)

message 36: by Donna (new)

Donna (sallamandersam) | 1 comments Just a drive-by hello. Obviously, I'm sallamandersam both here and at SF and my ecletic taste in books will become obvious.

message 37: by Ess (new)

Ess | 2 comments Hi, everyone! Um, if you are sick of seeing vampire books every time you turn around, sorry. I'm part of the problem.

Chagrinedly,
Sarah (jolie laide)

message 38: by Angela (new)

Angela (alwatkins) | 7 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi, everyone! Um, if you are sick of seeing vampire books every time you turn around, sorry. I'm part of the problem.

Chagrinedly,
Sarah (jolie laide)"

Ha ha, me too!

message 39: by Dixie (new)

Dixie (dixiebq) | 1 comments Hi everyone!
While I am not currently reading, I do love to read and as you can tell from my library, mostly non-fiction and WW2 spies (again, non-fiction). All those classics and English lit were read during high school. I'm excited to be here, to find out the of recommendations and I'll be happy to friend any SF folk :)

Best,
Dixie (aficionada)

message 40: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 1 comments I can't believe I haven't said hello yet. Hi all! If you need trashy romances and so bad but so good erotica choices, my bookshelf is full of them whenever I remember to update it.

message 41: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 1 comments Hi everyone!

I don't post much on Snarkfest, but I've followed it since Fametracker and TWoP forums. I'm pretty much all over the place when it comes to my reading selections, so I'd love to read everyone's book recommendations.

Noelle (Noey)

message 42: by Jen (new)

Jen (jensa) | 5 comments Tiffany wrote: "I can't believe I haven't said hello yet. Hi all! If you need trashy romances and so bad but so good erotica choices, my bookshelf is full of them whenever I remember to update it."

I am going to totally raid your historical romances bookshelf!!! The trashier the better!!!

message 43: by Becca (new)

Becca (duckie7582) | 6 comments Hi. I'm mostly a lurker, but I love books and reading. I've gotten so many good recs from SF that I had to join this group.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) (msjessie) I'm pretty much the same as Becca up there. I've stolen so many books from here I might as well admit I'm here. Maybe I'll even be more active now. Anyway, hi!

message 45: by Kate (new)

Kate (katesti) | 1 comments Yo, guys! I'm new-ish to GoodReads, but my OCD tendencies are coming to the surface quickly.

YAY BOOKS!

Kate (katesti)

message 46: by Jaraga (new)

Jaraga | 1 comments Hi all. Wanted to try GoodReads out and had to join this group since I get so many book recommendations from SF.

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura (algae429) | 2 comments Hi! I'm Algae on Snarkfest. I don't post a lot, but I've gotten most of my past reads from the Current Reads thread, so it makes sense to join here so I can stalk y'all.

I like Historical Fiction, mostly, but I'll read anything good. :)

message 48: by Louisa (new)

Louisa | 1 comments I've just joined Goodreads as part of Dissertation Procrastination '11. I read a lot of travel lit and history, as well as YA by the ton. Looking forward to seeing people's recommendations!

Louisa (polarbear)