Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > Rush Limbaugh says Michelle Obama is too fat to be swimsuit model, or date Alex Rodriguez

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24265 comments Mod
Discuss.

Rush Limbaugh says First Lady is no swimsuit model

Radio host Rush Limbaugh poked fun at Michelle Obama's waistline Monday; the latest entry in a string of conservative attacks on the First Lady's anti-obesity campaign.

During his show yesterday, Limbaugh pounced on a report that the Obama family (minus the president) had dined on ribs while vacationing in Vail, Colo.:

The problem is -- and dare I say this -- it doesn't look like Michelle Obama follows her own nutritionary, dietary advice. And then we hear that she's out eating ribs at 1,500 calories a serving with 141 grams of fat per serving, yeah it does -- what do you mean, what do I mean?

What is it - no, I'm trying to say that our First Lady does not project the image of women that you might see on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, or of a woman [professional baseball player] Alex Rodriguez might date every six months or what have you. I mean, women are under constant pressure to look lithe, and Michelle My Belle is out there saying if you eat the roots and tree bark and the berries and all this cardboard stuff you will live longer, be healthier and you won't be obese. Okay, fine, show us.

UPDATE 5:00pm: Limbaugh on his show today addressed the reaction to his comments. Via Mediaite:

These were highly civil comments for crying out loud. I mean, people are going nuts. USA Today, the Politico. And some people were suggesting that my comments were below the belt. Well, take a look at some pictures. Given where she wears her belts. I mean, she wears them high up there around the bust line. Isn't just about everything about her below the belt when you look at the fashion sense she has?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments He, uh, probably wouldn't be a swimsuit model, either, but I want everyone to imagine him in a speedo with a come hither look right now.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Given that Limburger’s audience is primarily limited to those poor souls in the right-wing, white bread, axe-to-grind, resentment prone, Archie Bunker alternate reality bubble, his inane fecal matter is going to be food for the hungry no matter what he says. But even a centimeter beyond it, attacking first ladies can only produce blowback from the part of humanity that walks upright on two legs. So let’s let Rush be as stupid as he can be. He’s only just begun.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "He, uh, probably wouldn't be a swimsuit model, either, but I want everyone to imagine him in a speedo with a come hither look right now."

For those like me who have no idea what he looks like. I think this is his come hither look. I leave the speedo to your imagination.

[image error]

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments To my mind, that picture should come with a NSFW label.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Now everyone should visualize the cigar as a penis.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Radio host Rush Limbaugh poked fun at Michelle Obama's waistline Monday"

This will be remembered as the moment in history, when along with his usual seventeen burritos, Rush finally swallowed the Irony Meter. (He's been gnawing on it for years)

message 8: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "He, uh, probably wouldn't be a swimsuit model, either, but I want everyone to imagine him in a speedo with a come hither look right now."

He-he

message 9: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Now everyone should visualize the cigar as a penis."

Maybe I'm a bit hungry, but cocktail weiners came to mind.

I think she looks damn good, IMO. She had two children and still has a waistline. And he has one heck of the rich man's belly spread. Bleh.

message 10: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3434 comments Maybe he was ignored as a kid and now says anything that will get him some attention . . . or maybe he was dropped on his head. Those comments could only have come from a man with some big problems.

message 11: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3434 comments I wasn't making excuses for him. He's an adult, and he's making an ass of himself. He has to take the heat for that. I'm just saying that there's probably something driving him to make those outrageous statements.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

My take is that I think it's beyond disgusting, yes I'm well aware it's his shtick, but talking about the First Lady like this is crossing some kind of line, and I would feel the same way if it were being said about Laura Bush, Pat Nixon, Mamie Eisenhower, or Bess Truman. It's gross. Surely he has some regular listeners who are offended by it. Surely. Surely? I know he's the most powerful person in all media, but doesn't he answer to anyone? Isn't there someone who can tell him he's gone too far, and he needs to issue an apology - a real apology, not a bullshit one which just wraps a phony apology in fresh insults?

message 13: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3434 comments I'd say that responding to him gives him validation. Ignoring him takes away his power.

message 14: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) What an odious little shock jock. The First Lady aside, shouldn't all women of whatever size be allowed to wear a swimsuit if they wish regardless or not if they are 'models'?

Why must men dictate how a woman must look in a magazine? Doesn't he realize not all women are or disire to be catwalk slim or anorexic?

All shock jocks should shut their gobs and graft for a living rather than sitting on their fat backsides and talking out of their arses all day.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Feb 23, 2011 12:05AM) (new)

BunWat wrote: "Is he really the most powerful person in all media? He may have a highly rated talk radio show, but..."

He's untouchable. The reason he can say all these things with no consequences is that he's untouchable. Maybe he's not as powerful as Murdoch, but he's up there.

message 16: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3434 comments So he has your attention. That's what he wants.

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I doubt she wants either of those things. Besides, she's a healthy weight. That's the goal - not having your weight give you any liabilities healthwise or function-wise. I'll leave Rush out of it as I don't want to be unkind.

message 18: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) It now comes as no surprise to me why some women comfort eat with chocolate and some girls starve their way through school.

In Britain, there was a campaign to get editors of certain magazines to use more women of everyday proportions, and for the teen magazines to stop using scrawny models.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments but talking about the First Lady like this is crossing some kind of line, and I would feel the same way if it were being said about Laura Bush, Pat Nixon, Mamie Eisenhower, or Bess Truman.

I think I agree with LG here, although I'm not sure if we see "crossing the line" in the same way. I would define "crossing the line" here as "stupid, pointless, and damaging to his own credibility". Honestly, I didn't hear a lot of liberals slamming Laura Bush last go-round. I don't care much one way the other about first ladies, although Nancy Reagan...well, she bugged me.

Wouldn't a single president be interesting?

message 20: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Hasn't Oprah said anything on this? I thought she was supposed to be the most powerful woman in the media over there?

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. Yes, we all hang out with Oprah, Malcolm. And she comments on everything, everywhere. She doesn't like the shoes I'm wearing today, is worried about the Lakers' frontcourt, and thinks Scott Walker's hair is a little greasy.

message 22: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Barb wrote: "Regardless of what her actual weight is; it's a nobel cause to try to curb the obesity problem that North America has."

Maybe she'll win a noble prize?

message 23: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Rush Limpbaugh is the de facto leader of the right wing of the republican party. Top of the world, baby.

message 24: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Honestly I'm just aiming for Sally and you get caught in the crossfire. :)

message 25: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Malcolm wrote: "Hasn't Oprah said anything on this? I thought she was supposed to be the most powerful woman in the media over there?"

Don’t think you’re immune simply because of geographic distance, Malcolm. As the comrade said to Dr. Zhivago, “You’ve been noticed.”

message 26: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments LG is right: Rush is untouchable. He’s untouchable for the same reason mob bosses and authoritarian strong men are untouchable: fear. In his case, otherwise powerful Republican politicians are terrified he will burn them a new one on the radio, which means sullying their life-sustaining street cred with the Republican base (aka the Cuckoo’s Nest).

The Republican Party has graduated from persistent movement to the far right, to full-blown ideological purging, culminating during the last election cycle in several longtime, powerful and influential Republican incumbents being vaporized by the cadres of far-right ideological correctness.

Rush’s job description is to belch out commentary intended to aggravate and infuriate the reality-based community (in the conservative mind juvenilia can be hysterical and devastating, even when the intended “victims” generally laugh it off as further evidence of sophomoric conservatism rather than taking grave offense). And the competition on the right to emulate this business model is fierce, having burgeoned beyond Ann Coulter and Michael Savage to an army of far-right radio chowderheads, an entire television channel devoted to crackpot demagoguery, all the way to a former Vice-Presidential candidate and members of congress (Hello Michele Batshit).

Unfortunately, Rush and the rest of the mighty right-wing media machine have been driving the political dialogue in this country for well over a decade now, much of their incessant propaganda absorbed by and taken at face value by the mainstream media, thereby dominating the daily, monthly and perennial political narratives to the point of establishing much of that propaganda in many minds as unchallengeable orthodoxy. Until the reality-based community develops a communication system able to counter it, little is going to change. Welcome to Argentina,1976.

message 27: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments If you look at polling over the years among the public at large, a majority always has viewed Limbaugh negatively. He’ll poll at around 20% favorability, no doubt the same 20% that supported Dubya to the bitter end, attend tea party rallies and vote in Republican primaries.

His influence is twofold. He catalyzes that base to action and keeps them in a constant state of political agitation. And regardless of how few Americans take him seriously, his, and the rest of the right-wing media machines’ output saturates the debate, infuses itself into the larger dialogue, moves the discussion rightward and keeps it there.

message 28: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments No doubt his demographic is literally dying off, as is the Republican Party’s and the Tea Party’s generally, while overall demographic changes strongly favor Democrats.

The question is whether he’s less influential than he has been at 20% if that number declines to fifteen or sixteen percent. It’s hard to see that he is. I tend to think the level of his and his ilk’s influence depends less on them and their audience...wedded till death do they part and altogether doggedly immutable... than on the behavior of, and choices made by the rest of the media, and the actions of Democrats and liberals in the communication area.

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael It's difficult for me to rationally discuss Rush Limbaugh because I have no time for him or any respect for anything that comes out of his mouth. I don't like that he passes his comedy shtick off as real news and I like it even less that people listen to him as a source of real news and make their political decisions based on the things he says. That he's poking fun at someone about their weight is too ironic to even appreciate.

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael Lobstergirl wrote: "My take is that I think it's beyond disgusting, yes I'm well aware it's his shtick, but talking about the First Lady like this is crossing some kind of line, and I would feel the same way if it were being said about Laura Bush, Pat Nixon, Mamie Eisenhower, or Bess Truman. It's gross...."

Yeah, I agree. This isn't news and there's no place for commentary like this. I'm not defending Rush when I say this, but I think gross and tasteless is a style that people are comfortable with and accept. From jokes, to movies, to television, people are immune to the words being said and the situations presented. I thought that Rush would apologize for mocking the Chinese president, but I never saw anything. When Al Franken had a radio show on Air America he tried to put Limbaugh on the spot with his segment of playing a RL clip and then presenting the lies. No one cared.

message 31: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) RandomAnthony wrote: "Heh. Yes, we all hang out with Oprah, Malcolm. And she comments on everything, everywhere. She doesn't like the shoes I'm wearing today, is worried about the Lakers' frontcourt, and thinks Scott..."

Lol I don't mean has Oprah commented here on good reads. I meant has she not given a reaction there in the media. Over here, usually when one media personality says somehing of gross bad form another of a similar stature would be asked their opinion or they may simply "step into the controversy surrounding. . ." of their own accord, as newscasters later inform us.

I don't get Oprah on my selection of channels so I am unaware of almost all of those people you mentioned. I had no idea who Rush L was until this folder caught my eye.

Scott Walker - he of 1960s pop group The Walker Brothers fame?

message 32: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Michael wrote: "It's difficult for me to rationally discuss Rush Limbaugh because I have no time for him."

This is EXACTLY how I feel about him.

**When I was in 7th grade, I went to spend the week with my grandparents at their house which was a 2 hour drive from my house. We listened to Rush for what seemed like THE ENTIRE DRIVE and I was furious. My grandpa is a hard core republican and it makes me smile every time I'm at his house and see a picture of me and President Clinton in his hallway. It must KILL him to have that up there (and yet it's super cute that it's up anyway- thanks Gramps!).**

message 33: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Michael wrote: "When Al Franken had a radio show on Air America he tried to put Limbaugh on the spot with his segment of playing a RL clip and then presenting the lies. No one cared."

Stephanie Miller has a bit on her morning show where she dives into the "right wing world" and exposes the lies but, like every other pundit, she's preaching to the choir. Her audience already knows that Beck, Limbaugh, Coulter, Malkin, Savage, Hannity, Bachman, Palin and the rest are so divorced from reality as to be laughable. Unfortunately, there are far too many citizens who get their every bit of news from those sources, and those sources alone.

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael Phil wrote: "Stephanie Miller has a bit on her morning show where she dives into the "right wing world" and exposes the lies but, like every other pundit, she's preaching to the choir. Her audience already knows that Beck, Limbaugh, Coulter, Malkin, Savage, Hannity, Bachman, Palin and the rest are so divorced from reality as to be laughable. Unfortunately, there are far too many citizens who get their every bit of news from those sources, and those sources alone."

And that, to me, is frightening. I'm not saying that everyone should support the candidates I support and vote for the candidates I vote for, but that people listen to Rush, Hannity, Coulter and Savage (two people who make me physically ill) and believe themselves to be informed is scary. It's like someone claiming to be knowledgeable about sports because they watch pro-wrestling. Bachmann and Palin might be kooks, but at least they're actual politicians.

message 35: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3434 comments Bun Wat, I liked your comment about people coming to see him as the weird old uncle you just tune out.