Q&A with J.A. Konrath discussion

Welcome

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.A. (new)

J.A. A. Konrath | 47 comments Mod
Welcome to the group. The discussion will kick off on Monday, February 28.

message 2: by J.A. (new)

I'll entertain any and all questions on any and all topics, except the following:

1. Squirrels
2. Anything that happened from 1978-1985
3. The hit TV show M*A*S*H
4. People with only on nostril

Otherwise, it's a free for all.

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 13 comments DAMMIT! And I was going to ask you about that squirrel with one nostril on MASH in 1981... D'OH!!!

message 4: by J.A. (new)

>>>>DAMMIT! And I was going to ask you about that squirrel with one nostril on MASH in 1981... D'OH!!!

That kind of talk can get you banned from these here parts, young lady!

message 5: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie  Crawford Hi Joe,

So glad to be here!

--

All My Best,

Bobbie Crawford-McCoy
Nurture Your BOOKS™
http://nurtureyourbooks.com/website/
info@nurtureyourbooks.com

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (literaryladybug) SO very excited to see another Jack Daniels Mystery coming out. I have loved listening to them in Audio book format - the couple you have reading are wonderful! Will we get to hear the same readers this time around? And forgive the fangirl gush - but thanks for writing your books. I have enjoyed everyone I have read/listened to!

message 7: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (kaitortot) | 2 comments I'm with the above poster in that I love the Jack Daniels series. I had stopped reading for years and Whiskey Sour got me back into it. Love.

message 8: by Greg (new)

Greg Crites (veinarmor) Oops! I see my question about audiobooks was answered. I've read only the paper versions of the Jack Daniels novels. A friend handed me a beat up copy of Whiskey Sour a few years back, telling me I'd enjoy the main character who was a cynical, sarcastic, wise... and after reading that, I bought the (two? I think) other books available in the series. Hate to admit it, but I assumed you were female. Now I see the beard.

message 9: by MzDivaDawn (new)

MzDivaDawn | 2 comments I have noticed that Susie Breck doesn't narrate "Shaken" along with her husband, Dick Hill. Was there a reason?

message 10: by John (new)

John (kirby613) | 1 comments Very disappointed that this is the final Jack Daniels book. I hope this is not a result of your collabaration with Blake Crouch. Serial Uncut was OK but seemed more like his territory than yours. I have totally enjoyed this series. I read the most recent in the non-linear version. This story lacked enough of Jack's presence.

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (skateanddonate) | 2 comments I agree with John. I am very disappointed there will be no more Jack Daniel's books. The collaboration with Crouch does nothing for me and if I'm completely honest the change in focus to his character makes me less favorable toward him as an author.

message 12: by J.A. (new)

Jennifer wrote: "SO very excited to see another Jack Daniels Mystery coming out. I have loved listening to them in Audio book format - the couple you have reading are wonderful! Will we get to hear the same readers..."

Thanks! I believe there's a new reader for Shaken, but I heard they were awesome.

message 13: by J.A. (new)

John wrote: "Very disappointed that this is the final Jack Daniels book. I hope this is not a result of your collabaration with Blake Crouch. Serial Uncut was OK but seemed more like his territory than yours...."

I'm lucky that I'm able to explore different topics and stories with my writing, so Jack Daniels is going on hiatus for a while.

Will she return? I won't say never, but I currently don't have any future plans for Jack. Though she does play a starring role in my novel Shot of Tequila, and a part in my upcoming spy thriller Flee, written with Ann Voss Peterson.

message 14: by J.A. (new)

Katie wrote: "I agree with John. I am very disappointed there will be no more Jack Daniel's books. The collaboration with Crouch does nothing for me and if I'm completely honest the change in focus to his charac..."

I'm sure Crouch's fans say the same thing about him collaborating with me. Change can sometimes be hard to absorb.

But pitting my hero, Jack Daniels, against his villain, Luther Kite, is too much fun for both of us to pass up. It's like James Patterson's hero Alex Cross chasing Hannibal Lector.

If you read Cherry Bomb, fully 1/2 of the entire book was in the villain's perspective, and Stirred will be similar. But while Cherry Bomb was the direct sequel to Fuzzy Navel, Stirred will be a cap on the entire Jack Daniels series, along with Serial Uncut, Killers Uncut, Desert Places, Locked Doors, and Break You.

It's so rare when authors combine their universes. I'd love it if Michael Connelly wrote a book with Robert Crais, or if Janet Evanovich teamed up with Sue Grafton.

If this bothers you, all I can say is it will be Jack's most exciting adventure yet. And the ending is going to be a killer...

message 15: by J.A. (new)

Kaitlyn wrote: "I'm with the above poster in that I love the Jack Daniels series. I had stopped reading for years and Whiskey Sour got me back into it. Love."

Thanks!

message 16: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I just recently listened to Whiskey Sour and I have to say I just loved it. I do have to say though, I like Jack Kilborn much better. That writing style is just up my alley of reading.

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PatR) | 1 comments I thought Shaken was a very good book. Should be read by all Jack Daniels' fans.

message 18: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 13 comments J.A. wrote: ">>>>DAMMIT! And I was going to ask you about that squirrel with one nostril on MASH in 1981... D'OH!!!

That kind of talk can get you banned from these here parts, young lady!"

*Schnork*... I'd be lying if I said it was the first time squirrel talk got me banned from a chat/forum.. XD

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Jenkins | 2 comments Hi Joe,

I'm so glad I posted a review of your books on Goodreads and got an invite to this group. I've only been reading your books since Christmas when I got my Kindle. Since then I've read about 4 of them. My wish list on Amazon reads like a private library for J.A. Konrath. I haven't read any of the Jack Daniels series yet with the exception of Truck Stop - A psycho Thriller which I believe is where she was introduced. Loved it! Can't wait to read the others. Although I can be as sarcastic as those on this web page, and I will be, I wanted you to know that I am having so much fun with your books. I keep trying to read other authors in between your books but I find myself anxious to start the next Konrath book. I'm reading Disturb right now. I'm not enjoying this as much as the others, but it's still a fun read. I'm so glad I got my kindle and was able to buy books at such a low price. I may never have found you otherwise. So Thanks!!!!

message 20: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Wilde | 1 comments Hi.

I am so glad that you friended me on myspace a few years ago. After that I picked up Whiskey Sour and I haven't put your books down since!

ALSO! I am so happy that you publish everything on Kindle.

I really appreciate that you spend so much time with the fans.

message 21: by J.A. (new)

Thanks for the kind words! :)

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 1 comments Fellow AE author here. Your honesty about the changes in the industry warm the cockles of an author's heart. Looking for your take on switching genres by same author within ebook market. Do your readers follow you? Does the alias thing help or hinder? (I have assumptions, just thought I'd let the ebook guru elucidate first before I make a fool of myself online.)

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasonski6) Joe! I have questions.

1. What does your wife think about the change in your income over the past year or two? Did she always know it would happen for you eventually or is she truly amazed?

2. Have you purchased any big-ticket items recently...or will you soon?

3. What is 'Just Is'? I see the cover on your blog and it has your name as well as your cover artist's name. New book coming soon?

4. Is 'Flee', the upcoming spy novel you're co-authoring with Ann Voss Peterson, strickly e-book or will it be released by a traditional publisher? (And how on Earth did you hook up with her?)

5. Is 'Flee' the start of the super-secret co-author novel series you blogged about before that will make you a million bucks? (If not...what is it?!?!?)

6. Do you like movies with gladiators? Have you ever been in a Turkish prison? Did you know Scraps is a boy dog?

message 24: by J.A. (last edited Mar 01, 2011 11:34AM) (new)

Sarah wrote: "Fellow AE author here. Your honesty about the changes in the industry warm the cockles of an author's heart. Looking for your take on switching genres by same author within ebook market. Do your re..."

I have some J.A. Konrath fans, some Jack Kilborn fans, some who like both. I think using different names helps to give fans different expectations.

message 25: by J.A. (new)

1. What does your wife think about the change in your income over the past year or two? Did she always know it would happen for you eventually or is she truly amazed?

She always believed it would happen. I had my doubts.

2. Have you purchased any big-ticket items recently...or will you soon?

I have plans on buying Nebraska. I will rename it Joebraska and invite all of my friends to visit. You can come if you bring beer.

3. What is 'Just Is'? I see the cover on your blog and it has your name as well as your cover artist's name. New book coming soon?

It's a graphic enovel, specially tailored to e-ink. Coming soon...

4. Is 'Flee', the upcoming spy novel you're co-authoring with Ann Voss Peterson, strickly e-book or will it be released by a traditional publisher? (And how on Earth did you hook up with her?)

Ann is an old friend from my conference days. We'll release the print version ourselves. No legacy publishers need apply.

5. Is 'Flee' the start of the super-secret co-author novel series you blogged about before that will make you a million bucks? (If not...what is it?!?!?)

No, that's something else I still can't talk about. Flee is the start of a new series that may eventually make me a million bucks. It's a very hot book.

6. Do you like movies with gladiators? Have you ever been in a Turkish prison? Did you know Scraps is a boy dog?

Hmm? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Too busy looking at a grown man, naked.

message 26: by MzDivaDawn (new)

MzDivaDawn | 2 comments OK I had no idea this is going to be the last Jack Daniels book - that disappoints me GREATLY

message 27: by Janene (new)

Janene (janene_marie) | 2 comments For me, JA Konrath & Jack Kilborn write completely different. And I'm going to embarrass myself when I say that I was a fan of both before realizing...well, you know. ;)

message 28: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Same here Janene.

message 29: by Jason (last edited Mar 01, 2011 05:22PM) (new)

Jason (jasonski6) "Hmm? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Too busy looking at a grown man, naked."

Touche' brother, touche'.

Thanks for the answers, and I'll see you in Joebraska with a case in each hand. Oh, and tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

message 30: by William (new)

William Gouse | 4 comments Hi Joe!
Big fan. Just wanted to say thank you for all of the Great reads at an even Greater price :~)
I am currently reading "Draculas" and WOW!
Half finished and I already understand the opening apology to Bram Stoker.
Keep em coming :~)

message 31: by Jan (new)

Jan Hi Joe,

I'm anxious to read "Stirred" but was semi-bummed when I heard it would be the last in the Jack Daniels series as it was a great favorite. I say "semi" because I've been busy reading your other works of art, they being one of the main reasons for getting a Kindle! Just when I think you couldn't possibly come up with anything as good as "Afraid" you do!! Keep up the good work and I'll keep reading!

message 32: by Marnie (new)

Marnie | 1 comments Sad to see Jack Daniels go but so excited to read "Stirred" can't wait to see all the new things coming! It's a trade off I guess!

message 33: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 6 comments Ok I have to say I am addicted to your writing. Shaken was the first of the Jack Daniels stories I've read and now I have to read them all and your Draculas story was so friggin awesome I keep telling people about it. Now my question is how long will it be before your work is adapted for a movie? And if you could pick a dream production team/director/crew for your work who might you pick and what would be the look and feel of the movie?

message 34: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Wallace (brendabwallace) | 3 comments When you buy Joebraska, please let me know. I bet my fellow Joe-follower and reading/writing friend, Chryse Wymer, will meet me there. Thanks for starting this group.

message 35: by J.A. (new)

Steven wrote: "Ok I have to say I am addicted to your writing. Shaken was the first of the Jack Daniels stories I've read and now I have to read them all and your Draculas story was so friggin awesome I keep tell..."

Getting a movie made in Hollywood is like winning the lottery. In other words, it's nothing to pin your hopes on, because chances are high it won't happen.

That said, the one book of mine I think would make a great flick is Origin. I wrote that specifically going after the Jurassic Park crowd, and could imagine the action figures and toy tie-in sales. I'd love to see someone like Tony Scott or Renny Harlin tackle it.

message 36: by J.A. (new)

Thanks all for the continued kind words.

Jack Daniels does play a role in my upcoming thriller, FLEE. The hero is a female spy named Chandler, and it's the most action-packed book I've ever written.

In fact, it's the most action-packed book anyone has ever written.

Coming in March...

message 37: by Lea (new)

Lea (vagabondia) graphic enovel??? LOVE! so excited!

message 38: by Mo (new)

Mo James | 1 comments Hi Joe.

My question is...

On average, how much time do you spend each day writing? I know you must spend lots of time catching up on emails and blogs etc, but I'm curious as to how you plan in you're actual writing time. Do you have "office hours" you set yourself or is it really more a case of as and when?

MoJo x

message 39: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 6 comments Hey thanks for the info about Origins. From what you described it is definitely something I would love to read. I am reading Fragment by Warren Fahy right now, just finished Amazonia by Rollins, and I devoured Jurassic Park & Lost World. Too bad Stan Winston is no longer with us cause he had a kick butt toy line quite a few years ago that could have made some great stuff from your story.

message 40: by J.A. (new)

I write when I need to. If I'm working on a particular project, I'll write 12 hours a day until it's finished.

But I don't write every day.