What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED - Young girl follows father into woods. . . [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tommie (last edited Feb 22, 2011 01:37PM) (new)

Tommie (tommiemarie) | 14 comments A few years ago I read a contemporary fiction novel where a young girl follows her alcoholic father into the woods behind her house and is reported missing by her mother. Her best friend/neighbor goes missing too because she sees her friend and follows her and her father into the woods. The father is supposed to be on a fishing trip but didn't go. The girl's older brother goes looking for her and finds her father instead. There is also a bad man who happens to be in the woods as well. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm sure I'm missing some pieces of the plot. The title escapes me and I can't even think of possible titles or key words. A Google search has brought no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments I've read this. Checking my info, lol.

message 3: by chucklesthescot (last edited Feb 22, 2011 02:20PM) (new)

chucklesthescot | 31 comments This sounds very much like The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf. I really liked this book! The mute young girl Calli gets dragged into the woods by her drunk father, her friend Petra disappears from a nearby house at the same time. The kids are reported missing by their parents and Calli's brother Ben is searching the woods for the girls and...

SPOILER

...finds his sister with the Petra who has been sexually assaulted and with his father who he suspects of the attack. Father pleads innocence. There is a bad man who comes into the story as Petra's real attacker.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments that's the one I'm thinking of!

message 5: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiemarie) | 14 comments Yes! That's it! I was going crazy trying to remember the name of the book. Thank you so much!!

chucklesthescot | 31 comments You're very welcome! I really enjoyed the book!

message 7: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiemarie) | 14 comments I did too and I could swear that I bought it but I can't find it anywhere. It must be in one of my many many boxes of books. =)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Weight of Silence (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Heather Gudenkauf (other topics)