Cozy Mysteries discussion

Find a book or series > Modern World Cozies

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth (poodlefruit) | 2 comments I was wondering if anyone could recommend a mystery that’s set in the modern era, but outside the USA? Something like M.C Beatons’ Agatha Raisin novels or Shamini Flints’ Inspector Singh books. It seems oddly difficult to find books that meet both criteria!

message 2: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 97 comments Have you tried The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency? I haven't read them but I've heard good things, plus the TV show was pretty good. They're set in Africa somewhere.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Rhys Bowen has a series out that takes place in current time in Wales. The first one is Evans Above. Kerry Greenwood has a series that takes place in modern Melbourne, Australia. The protagonist is a baker. I haven't read them, so I can't comment on quality (though I LOVE her series that takes place in 1929). The first is Earthly Delights. Those are the only ones that come to mind. I haven't read MC Beaton or Shamini Flint, so these might not do at all. :)

message 4: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Check out past Featured Authors. The Gideon Oliver mysteries are set in various places around the world. Also, a fair portion of the Murder, She Wrote books take place outside the USA. (Locations are listed behind each book on the featured author book list.)

message 5: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 18158 comments Mod
I too was going to recommend the Gideon Oliver series by Aaron Elkins. What about Dick Francis? As a British author, most of his take place outside the US (primarily the UK). Nancy Atherton's Aunt Dimity series is also primarily set in the UK.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (CherylsPearls) | 17 comments What about Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? The series is set in Quebec. I have it on my TBR list but haven't started it yet. The series sounds promising!

message 7: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments If you like cozies, the Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton takes place in England in current times. Some books in the series are better than others but for the most part, they're enjoyable reads.

message 8: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Tarquin Hall writes the Vish Puri series set in India. The Case of the Missing Servant: A Vish Puri Mystery is the first. There's only two so far, I believe.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth (poodlefruit) | 2 comments Those all sound really good, thanks for all the recommendations! I picked up a second-hand copy of the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency at a book sale yesterday and I’ve popped the rest on my buy on payday wish list.

I was just a little surprised to realise that pretty much all the mysteries I was reading set outside the US were either set in other eras or full on gritty crime novels. Neither of which are necessarily bad things of course, but is nice to know the rest of the world isn’t totally stuck with its head in the past!

message 10: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 861 comments Cheryl wrote: "What about Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? The series is set in Quebec. I have it on my TBR list but haven't started it yet. The series sounds promising!"

I don't think I would classify Louise Penny's books as cozies. It is a wonderful series but the main character is head of the Surete du Quebec -no amateur sleuths in this series. Sometimes there is language not traditionally found in a cozy.

message 11: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1163 comments Kaye wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "What about Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? The series is set in Quebec. I have it on my TBR list but haven't started it yet. The series sounds promising!"

I don't th..."

We have a discussion thread about what books are cozies with no definitive answer. Malice Domestic has nominated Louise Penny's books for their Agatha award and they have won as best novel for several years running. If it's nominated for the Agatha, I consider it a cozy.

message 12: by Nell (last edited Mar 23, 2011 05:45AM) (new)

Nell | 1163 comments Shay wrote: "Tarquin Hall writes the Vish Puri series set in India. The Case of the Missing Servant: A Vish Puri Mystery is the first. There's only two so far, I believe."

I liked the first book a lot. Not only is it a good mystery with interesting/quirky characters, but it also gives you insight into modern India. There's a glossary in the back for unfamiliar terms like certain foods. I really like the detective's mother. The second one is on my Kindle TBR.

message 13: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Belshazzar's Daughter is the first book in Barbara Nadel's series set in Istanbul. Haven't read the series yet, came across one of the later books when browsing at the library, but I was at my library limit so I couldn't borrow it.