Scandinavian Mysteries discussion

Scandinavian Lit too dark?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments No I do not think it is too dark, I have read Fossum, Holt, Hoeg, Indriasson, Tursten, Larson, and several more and I find them detailed,determined, and use great advantage of their enviroment. I think they also go to great lenghts to find real incites concerning the crimes committed. They are tough and determined.

bd ubcutes asto the crime,

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) I don't think it's too dark, either. A lot of these authors mentioned by Elizabeth above weave in their own commentaries on what they perceive to the problems in their respective societies, which adds more of a touch of realism to the story. I like a book with lots of atmosphere. Mystery/crime fiction doesn't have to be cutesy to be good.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 5 comments What I like about a lot of them is the quiet introspective way the Nordic sleuths go about their work, their deep interior lives we get a glimpse of...

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments They also display a great amount of intelligence in dealing with their cases and their fellow man whether good or bad.

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) I found this article in the Guardian that discusses (for the first few paragraphs anyway) Scandinavian crime fiction.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Interesting article. I just bought my first three Jo Nesbo books.

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) I LOVE Jo Nesbo, but after having read the first 5 now of Wahloo & Sjowall, all the Scandinavian detectives seem a bit overwrought once you get past Martin Beck.

I just got his Snowman and Leopard. I'll look forward to hearing what you think about Nesbo's books!

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Should you read Nesbo in any order?

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) Yes! If you bought the following, read them in this order. There's a continuing storyline that runs throughout.

Redbreast
Nemesis
Devil's Star

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Thanks for the advice. That is what I have.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanjoseph) | 26 comments Great article: thanks for posting it. Unfortunately I've read all the books. Boo hoo.

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) You're welcome. I'm just starting Murder at the Savoy, so I have a few more to look forward to before the end of the series.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanjoseph) | 26 comments I just realized that I had not read all the Wahloo & Sjowall books! How wonderful!

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Started The Red Breast. Certainly much more to concentrate on than many other Scandianavian authors.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanjoseph) | 26 comments Yes, the books have real merit!

message 17: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments Nesbo is one of the Scandanavian authors that start coming close to American Style crime fiction. The crime is very sensational and takes center focus of the story (As opposed to Henning Mankell where the characters and the investigation is the focus). He is still on the the Nordic Noir side of the line, but he brushes up against it more than most.

That said I do enjoy his books. Just finished The Snowman and will be starting the Leopard next week. If you are interested in getting the Snowman I will be giving it away (and probably the Leopard too) later in March on my blog.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments David where is your blog?