Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Scotish genealogy

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sweetredhead) | 30 comments So with the new series of "Who do you think you are" on tv and rereading Outlander, I have dusted off my own old genealogy chart. My aunt had spent countless hours back in the days before computers going to churches and court houses pulling together our history. I started to look at it again and a surprised jumped out at me. One of my oldest ancestors was Alexander Frazier born in 1640 Scotland. His grandson was James Frazier (sometimes spelled Fraser). So my gr gr gr gr gr gr gr grandfather was Jamie Fraser LOL. By the way I am also a redhead. Maybe that's where it came from : )

I have now been curious to look at the other side of my family which also ties back to Scotland to see where they came from too. I love how Diana uses genealogy so much in her books. It sure is fun to research.

Anyone else find it fun?

message 2: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I've always wanted to do it, but never have.

Its pretty awesome that you have a James Fraser in your past. I'd be flaunting that, lol.

message 3: by Pinda (new)

Pinda | 144 comments Me too. I tried ancestory.com but got sidetracked. That is pretty cool though. Mmmmm Jamie.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Feb 22, 2011 01:34PM) (new)

Lisa Wow, Sarah, that's amazing. I've always wished that at least one of my ancestors was scottish...and one of your ancestors even was a real James Fraser. Do you know when exactly he lived?

message 5: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments My Families name is Drennon and Wilder so i'm related to Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House on the Prairie She married into my family but we are so proud of her :)

Nothing like Jamie Frasier :)

message 6: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments That's still pretty exciting Leea, she's a classic author.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sweetredhead) | 30 comments Very cool Leea! That is something to be proud of. She is one of my all time favorite authors especially growing up in Southern Minnesota about half way between Pepin WI and Walnut Grove MN. It was in our blood around here and I have now read the series to my kids and it never gets old.

My ancestor James Fraser was born in 1723 in Pennsylvania. So around the same time period. Except here in America.

message 8: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Thanks Ladies... We are very proud of her and for telling our family story! I have yet to read them to my boys but they are only 3 & 5 so someday soon. Knowing your family history keeps you connected to the past and for my family gives us hope for the future.

message 9: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments One of my ancestors was related closely to the French painter Claude Monet. This side of the pond, the name was changed to Money. My gr gr grandfather was Pierre (Perry) Money. Another ancestor was surnamed Apple (like the computer) and hailed from Alsace Lorraine between France and Germany. But my children's ancestors are Scots and they were connected to Sorbie Castle in Scotland...the Hanna clan and the first one noted was listed on the Ragman's roll....Alexander Ahanneth which was changed to Hanna/Hannah/Hanney according to the Hanna Clan website. Sorbie Castle ruins still stands. My grandsons think that is so cool! :D

message 10: by Miss Kate (new)

Miss Kate (misskatesays) | 83 comments My family is part Irish on my father's side - his father's parents were both from Ireland, but met here. It's very hard to get more info about them, as they were very poor and the records aren't complete. My father's mother had family that was Native American, and seven who came over on the Mayflower. (The family joke was that half the family came off the boat and the other half was waiting to greet them at the shore.) She can trace her family back to one of the signers of the Magna Carta. From her side I also have ancestors who fought in the Revolution.

On the mother's side, we're Scottish & Scotch/Irish. My Nana was a MacDonald, and her ancestors emigrated from the Highlands during the 18th century (or were forced out), and settled on Prince Edward Island. (My father used to say you "can't swing a dead cat on PEI without hitting a MacDonald".) Her father's family were Protestant, and settled in Northern Ireland before they eventually came here.

I'm very lucky - my Gram loved genealogy and spent a LOT of time after she retired doing research!

message 11: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Oooh, I'm jealous of your lineage on two counts. 1, you have Irish/Scottish. And 2, you are from Prince Edward Island.

I fell in love with the idea of the island when I was young and loved (still love) Anne Shirley. I've always wanted to see 'The Lake of Shining Waters' and Green Gables, lol.

Scotland and PEI, two places I've always wanted to visit.

message 12: by Carly (new)

Carly Knowles | 3 comments Oooh, I don't know how I'd feel about having a Jamie Fraser in the lineage... a little... dirty maybe? lol. Just kidding, I love researching family history too.

I scoured through the family tree to find a direct Campbell clan, and Archibald Campbell ;) link. Going back even further is Robert the Bruce @ the 21st gr grandfather. More work to do though. I was pretty surprised to find that through years & years all of the links I've found are England, Scotland, Ireland, Danish & German. Nothing besides European roots so far. I'd be interested to research somewhere else too :)

message 13: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith | 199 comments How exactly do you research your roots?
I don't know anything further than my great grandparents, unfortunately...

message 14: by Carly (new)

Carly Knowles | 3 comments ^I had significant information on my father's side to get started. The rest was done on ancestry.com and backed up through other online research. Unfortunately, my mother's side is pretty slow going since there were several adoptions before 1905 when records were rarely kept on the matter.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 12, 2011 11:37AM) (new)

I also love family history! There's just something really fascinating about knowing where you come from.

My maternal grandfather's family are from the Isle of Man, and are directly descended from royalty. The European royal families are all connected, so I'm related to Kings and Queens of virtually all the European countries including Scotland and the earlier Scottish/Irish kingdom of Dál Riada :) However, according to academic research, so are most people in Europe!

There are Simpsons on both sides of the family. Apparently, we are a sept of the Fraser clan and have links to Clann Dhomhnaill (the MacDonalds) too. However, my immediate Simpson ancestors were all living in the North of England at the time of the '45 and I've yet to find a concrete link with Scotland. Nonetheless, my Simpson grandfather used to have the Fraser tartan and motto 'je suis prest' on the wall, so I loved how it featured in the novels.