Theologians that Love to Write! discussion

What do you/have you written?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Bowen (andrew_bowen) | 8 comments Mod
This is a fantastic group. There aren't many folks involved in fiction when it comes to spiritual/theological issues. That is my genre, one I've come to call "Theo-lit". Not the Inspiration Section by any means. My work is too theological for secular publishers and too gritty for religious ones.

Do any of you write similar work?

Andrew Bowen

www.bowenandrew.blogspot.com

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 13 comments Mod
Triune, Andrew?

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Yes sir!

message 4: by Lee (new)

"My work is too theological for secular publishers and too gritty for religious ones."

That pretty much describes me, too, though my books aren't really fiction...they're just masquerading as such. Let's get this "Theo-lit" category going! I'll sneak into B&N and start relabelling shelves if you'll do Borders.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Man, I've been working on that for years. But hey, a wave has to start somewhere!

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Stevens, ThD (chaplainstevens) | 44 comments Mod
My first published book "When God Hides His Face" deals with grief, and I catch flak from mainstream Christians from the title alone, but David asked God in Psalm 13 "How long will you hide your face from me?" There are times when it seems like God isn't there...even Jesus felt Godforsaken in the Garden and on the cross.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Good point Mark

message 8: by Mark (new)

My second book "Be sure Your Drink Isn't Poisoned" it is a brief account of my story of how I helped moved bodies from the Jim Jones Massacre, and how it shaped my views of Pastoral/Pulpit abuse. Jim Jones held the Bible up in his church and said.."You don't need this anymore...follow me" Even today too many Pastor exercise this kind of evil influence.

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Do you have a link to your book?

message 12: by Roman (new)

Roman New (romannew) | 3 comments A book recoomendation; "Values Of A Spiritual Mind" by Roman New...http://www.xlibris.com or http://149roman.wordpress.com/

message 13: by Mark (new)

Roman wrote: "A book recoomendation; "Values Of A Spiritual Mind" by Roman New...http://www.xlibris.com or http://149roman.wordpress.com/"

THANKS

message 14: by Buddy (last edited May 12, 2011 11:24AM) (new)

Buddy Helms (buddyhelms) | 5 comments Mark wrote: "My first published book "When God Hides His Face" deals with grief, and I catch flak from mainstream Christians from the title alone, but David asked God in Psalm 13 "How long will you hide your fa..."

Hi, Mark. I'm new to this group. I like your title. Does that mean I'm not mainstream? Is your book available in a Kindle edition? I found "Triune" on Amazon, but I didn't find "When God Hides His Face."

message 16: by Buddy (new)

Buddy Helms (buddyhelms) | 5 comments Mark, I ordered a copy of "When God Hides His Face." I'm looking forward to reading it. My son is in the Air Force and is about to deploy again. This time he's going to Turkey. Thank you for your service and for the spiritual support of our troops. I just signed up for Book Tour yesterday, and my user name was already taken. There was some kind of mix-up, and I haven't been able to sign back in, but your link in the email I got worked to get me here at least. God bless you.

message 17: by Mark (new)

You are welcome, I pray your son is safe and enjoys his tour. I did two TDY tours in Turkey, nice country (except for the Sun Spiders)

message 18: by Buddy (last edited May 13, 2011 10:43PM) (new)

Buddy Helms (buddyhelms) | 5 comments My first book (Marriage: What's the Big Deal?) was non-fiction, and it addresses how God uses marriage in an attempt to communicate truth to us in a way we should understand. I like Christian fiction, and I like the way Christ illustrated his lessons and sometimes veiled the truth from his enemies by using parables. My second book (Mike's New Reality) was my first attempt at Christian fiction. After writing the story about Mike, I realized I had found my niche. My third book (Jeremiah The Last Days) was just released, and it might be a bit controversial. It's about the Second Coming of Christ, but it takes a different approach than the popular "Left Behind" series by LeHaye and Jenkins. I'm currently working on a fourth book with a bit of sci-fi twist. Andrew, I like the "Theo-lit" idea, too.

message 19: by Lee (last edited May 13, 2011 03:15PM) (new)

Buddy, I would be interested in reviewing Jeremiah The Last Days on my blog: http://www.dubiousdisciple.com Would you be willing to forward me a copy? Or, if you'd like, I just published a book as well. Revelation: The Way it Happened. We should swap and do mutual reviews.

message 20: by Lee (new)

I should say also, if anyone else has written anything about religion (not necessarily Christianity), thought-provoking, and not too preachy, do feel free to contact me for a possible review. Dubious Disciple reviews feed several sites including Goodreads. I review mostly non-fiction, but also occasionally fiction.

message 21: by Buddy (last edited May 13, 2011 10:43PM) (new)

Buddy Helms (buddyhelms) | 5 comments Lee wrote: "Buddy, I would be interested in reviewing Jeremiah The Last Days on my blog: http://www.dubiousdisciple.com Would you be willing to forward me a copy? Or, if you'd like, I just published a book as ..."

Lee, I'd be happy to trade books with you. Email me your address and I will put a copy in the mail. Mine is about a preacher in the last days, so you might think it's a little preachy, but it takes a different approach than most end times books. There are so many views on Revelation, I think I'd enjoy reading what you ave written. My email address is on my website at http://pastorbuddyhelms.com

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Cline (abbasyaldah) | 3 comments Hi My name is Lisa I am new here. I am currently working my Bachlors in Biblical Studies and Theology. My first book is in the process of Being Published and is non-fiction/ christian titled "To know God as Father." It will be out I think by August.

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy Croome (judycroome) Lee wrote: "I should say also, if anyone else has written anything about religion (not necessarily Christianity), thought-provoking, and not too preachy, do feel free to contact me for a possible review. Dubio..."

Lee, I'm happy to send you a copy of my book (eBook or Print) if you're interested. Here are some links for you to decide for yourself whether you'd like to read it:
an interview about the story

interview with the artist Wenkidu

what inspired the story here

the book trailer here

first chapter here

If, after all that reading, you're interested in reading the story please contact me at judy@judycroome.com with your format preference and, if print, your postal address.
Kind regards
Judy, South Africa

message 24: by Lee (new)

Judy, I'll have to ask you outright if you think the subject is appropriate for a book review blog focusing on religion. While the topic sounds fascinating, I can't really tell. Thanks!

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Cline (abbasyaldah) | 3 comments My book is finally out :)

http://www.amazon.com/To-Know-God-As-...

message 26: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 4 comments Hi Andrew,
I do keep running in to you!
Hope you know about my new book (amazingly enough for me, it's short!), THE DOOR IS OPEN: The 7 Steps of Spiritual Awakening that Western Scripture and Mythology Have Been Trying to Tell Us All Along" (only the Title is long!). Hope you're well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1477...

Andrew Cort

message 27: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Zehr (jerryzehr) | 6 comments What are you willing to sell your soul for?
Here is my new novel -you can go to jerryzehr.com to see the video trailer and read excerpt

Drugs, money, sex, faith, and truth intersect in this intriguing novel.

Blurring the Lines tells the story of Thomas, a driven young actor struggling to break into the entertainment industry in LA.

Thomas’ conservative Amish heritage and his overwhelming desire to succeed continuously collide. His success, his survival and his soul, are at stake as he struggles to determine his life’s purpose.

I am also finishing Andrew Corts book The Door is Open-
I very enlightening book - good read
Jerry zehr