The Sword and Laser discussion

Nebula Nominees

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments The SFWA just announced the nominations for the Nebula Award.

The Native Star by M.K. Hobson
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal
Echo by Jack McDevitt
Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
Blackout/All Clear

You can definitely tell this is the Science Fiction Writers of America since British reviewers are taking Connie Willis to task for some major bloopers in her books.

And hey, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is nominated for the Nebula, is on the Locus list, and praised by Patrick Rothfuss. Maybe we should add "Sword and Laser selection" to its list of honors.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 489 comments I've only read Willis' Domesday book, which I enjoyed, although I do remember wincing at some of the Americanisms she put in the mouths of the British characters. Repeatedly calling scarves 'mufflers' is one; I have never, ever heard that used in the UK

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments Harlan Ellison on awards. There's some 'bad' words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXsaAn...

message 4: by Vance (new)

Vance | 362 comments Paul, I have never heard it used here in the US either! We call them scarves as well, generally. Must be a regional thing.

message 5: by Space Preacher (new)

Space Preacher (spacepreacher) | 39 comments Man, I love Harlan Ellison.

message 6: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Don't listen to what Harlan says -- what he really means is, "Awards ceremonies are a great opportunity to grope women in front of a large audience." It's amazing anyone lets him come to conventions after that.

message 7: by Space Preacher (new)

Space Preacher (spacepreacher) | 39 comments I would be honored to be groped by Harlan Ellison.