Robin Hobb Fans discussion

Who does Robin Hobb recommend?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lina (new)

Lina Al-Midfa | 9 comments I have read all of her books, and waiting for her third instalment of her Rain Wilds Chronicles.

I need something to read while I wait, so I was wondering if anyone knew who she recommends?

She recommended The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling and
Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

I have read both books and enjoyed them immensely, so any suggestions on what else she recommends?

Her recommendations would be greatly appreciated, and so would anyone who wants to recommend a good read.

Thank you!

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Schaeffer (chrisschaeffer) | 5 comments Mod
Lina, I know I've heard recommendations from Robin Hobb before, but I'm not able to remember what they were. Sorry.

However, if you haven't read all of the Mistborn books, you should complete the series. They are all very good. Also by Brandon Sanderson is his new book The Way of Kings Stormlight Archive 1, it is very good and if you liked his other books then you will definitely like this book.

Finally, I'll throw in one of my own recommendations. The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind starting with Wizard's First Rule is one of my favorites. It's not a book recommended by Robin Hobb, but I loved it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

In her Megan Lindholm faq page there is a short answer to that. Unfortunately I can't remember other authors she has recommended, they are all mentioned in that one.

message 4: by Lina (new)

Lina Al-Midfa | 9 comments Hey Chris, I read the 2nd in the Mistborn books, and I liked it, though in my opinion not as good as the first, the middle was a little bit slow compared to the fast pace style of the first, until I reached the ending and things turned around for me! So I will be reading the last installment pretty soon and can't wait to find out what happens, I like Sanderson as an author, and I picked up Mistborn because of Robin Hobb I must admit, I'm really glad I did.

I will add Wizard's Firt Rule to my list, thank you so much for your recommendations.

And lastly, thanks Sini for the tip and the link, I've been looking forward to this for quite a while!

message 5: by Lina (last edited Feb 27, 2011 11:12AM) (new)

Lina Al-Midfa | 9 comments Here's a list of some of the authors Robin Hobb read and was influenced by.... [Thanks Sini =)]

George R.R. Martin George R.R. Martin for A Song of Ice and Fire.

Steven Brust Steven Brust for The Vlad Taltos Novels. First one in the series is Jhereg of a possible 19 novels in the series.

Louise Marley Louise Marley for The Terrorists of Irustan.

Guy Gavriel Kay Guy Gavriel Kay for Sailing to Sarantium.

Lynn Flewelling

Martha Wells Martha Wells

Fiona McIntosh Fiona McIntosh

Vonda McIntyre

Robin McKinley

Robert Holdstock Robert Holdstock

Alma Alexander Alma Alexander

Rudyard Kipling Rudyard Kipling

Louisa May Alcott Louisa May Alcott

Walter Farley Walter Farley

T. H. White

Fritz Leiber Fritz Leiber

message 6: by Lina (new)

Lina Al-Midfa | 9 comments I must add Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson Brandon Sanderson .

Her recommendation is on the back of the cover =)

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 07, 2011 11:53AM) (new)

On her newsgroup (6th of March 2011) Robin mentions Diana Wynne Jones Diana Wynne Jones's Chrestomanci books and Diane Duane Diane Duane's So You Want to Be a Wizard So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1) by Diane Duane on the context of recommending good wizarding school books (before Harry Potter).

message 8: by Lina (new)

Lina Al-Midfa | 9 comments Yay! more recommendations......
=)

message 9: by Ajk86 (new)

Ajk86 | 1 comments Robin recommends The One Kingdom by Sean Russel and so do I. Also the sequel to "The name of the wind", "A Wise man's fear" is also something you should read. You can also check out an author called Sarah Zettel, you might find her blurbs on the back of Robin Hobb's books. There is also J.V Jones. There is "The Barbed Coil" which is a stand alone book, and there is "The Watcher of the dead" series. There are four books in the series so far; the first two bookd are good, but just fair warning the pace slackens off in the third book and it is though going for a while, however the fourth book more than makes up for it. There is also the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, reading it at the moment and it is pretty good.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (gielske) | 8 comments nobody mentioned Robert Jordans (and Brandon Sandersons) Wheel of Time yet??

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't remember seeing Robin recommend the Wheel of Time. Where did you found that?

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (gielske) | 8 comments I saw them in here personal librarie... She has a pick on facebook... Middle shelf...

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 16 comments Lina im gonna second AJK... I am into third installment of Mistborn trilogy and am enjoying it but if you Have yet to read KKC (king killer chronicles) then you are sorely missing out. Fanatastic series

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn I have heard Robin Hobb recently recommending The Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence. Though regrettably I haven't started this one just yet, it's already on my shelves ready to go as soon as I finish up the current books I am reading.

So many books on my to read lists! I need to work out a way to clone myself to get through them all.

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark Chant | 1 comments Highly recommend the broken empire. It was an unusually read and a nice change from the usually stories. There are comments that its to dark but it doesn't go into graphic detail. It's just portraying the character and the era the story is set in

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn The set is already on my bookshelves ready to go. Excited to get in to it!

message 17: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Found this for anyone who is interested.

" What other epic fantasies do you think people should check out?

Oh, I’ll throw Joe Abercrombie’s name in the hat there. I’m currently reading his book Heroes, and wow, in his string of books he’s definitely attacking epic [fantasy] on the very small and personal scale, which I like. I’ve read Prince of Thorns, and wow, that’s a strange and wonderful ride. I started into Prince of Thorns going, “Why on earth did my editor send me this? This is hard and this is dark and, oh gosh, it’s disgusting. This is a horrible character.” And then of course you turn the page! So I’m looking forward to his next book, and I think that he is definitely a writer to watch. Mark Lawrence. I’ll toss in one more—Richard Morgan’s The Steel Remains, now that was one I really enjoyed. Oh, and Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn. See, I could keep you here all day, but I think I’ll stop with those."

Source: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/non...