The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Genre Discussions > Mickey Spillane

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Dennis (mikedennis) | 28 comments Anybody out there like Mickey Spillane? I just finished MY GUN IS QUICK and I'm now reading ONE LONELY NIGHT. I also have an ARC of KISS HER GOODBYE, his newly-released collaboration with Max Allan Collins.

I did a review of MY GUN IS QUICK on my website http://mikedennisnoir.com/review-my-g... and I loved it. Spillane's in-your-face style keeps you turning the page. He was sneered at for most of his life, but he sold millions and millions of books in spite of it.

He was definitely among the hardest of the hard-boiled authors.

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) My father was a great fan of Spillane but I had never read any of the books.......then I saw the film Kiss Me Deadly with Ralph Meeker and decided maybe I had better read some of the stories. Hard boiled is not a strong enough word for this author......violent, dark and gritty come to mind. And fascinating. His stories are not like those of most detective authors and there is nothing about Mike Hammer that elicits affection from the reader. He may be the toughest and angriest detective of all time. Spillane may be more of a man's author (if there is such a thing) but I certainly have enjoyed his books. His writing mirrors the style used by the pulp authors of the 30s and 40s and that is probably the reason that he is considered by many as a hack. Be that as it may, you can pick up any of his books and be transported to the dark side of crime.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Dennis (mikedennis) | 28 comments Amen, Jill. I'm reading ONE LONELY NIGHT right now, where Hammer is up against the Communist conspiracy in the US and there's lots of anger in him. Of course, that was the overriding tenor of the times (1951) so the propaganda interludes are forgivable.

For a great review of the film KISS ME DEADLY, written by Peter Bogdanovich, go here: http://blogs.indiewire.com/peterbogda...#

message 4: by Jill (last edited Feb 22, 2011 11:30AM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) My cousin, Jim Dawson, who is a writer living in Hollywood (yes, people actually live in Hollywood!!!) is a student of noir film/writings and has visited some of the building used in the film. Many have been destroyed or renovated beyond recognition. He wrote the book Los Angeles's Angels Flight (Images of America about the incline that appears in the film.
Watching the film and reading Spillane's books gives one a window into a great city back in the day.