readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Romance Novels - karen made me do this

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kinga (new)

Kinga | 19 comments Ok. So you all know I am generally smart and have refined literary tastes.
However every now and then I am willing to suspend my literary education, my disbelief, my knowledge of history, my feminist views, etc. and read some nice romance novel.

I embrace the genre with all its shortcomings, formulaic writing and cliche characters, so that's not a problem at all.

Here are my requirements:

1) ideally historical, or paranormal or at least some thriller/mystery/suspense - anything out of the ordinary as this is my escapist literature, I don't want some office chick in a big city falling for a journalist next door because that is actually my real life.

2) it has to be fast paced so I don't notice bad writing.

3) whereas I put my feminist views on a shelf while reading romance novels and I am ok with the heroine being rescued every now and then by the hero, she has to have some balls too. I like them sassy, intelligent, either loose or man hating, doesn't matter. They shouldn't fall in love easily.

4) There must be sex scenes. But they shouldn't be at it like rabbits every two pages as that totally kills the sexual tension. Kind of like a girl that gives up too easily - I just lose interest. Tension is the most important element of any romance novel to me. I need to feel it , it has to be so intense I can cut it with a knife.

Thank you very much.

message 2: by smetchie (new)

smetchie Outlander!!!

1) It's historical. The heroine time travels to 1700s Scotland and there is quite a bit of adventure in addition to the romance.

2) It's surprisingly fast-paced for how long it is.

3) The heroine is a wartime trauma nurse in her normal time of 1945. She has balls, intelligence and sass.

4) The sex scenes are HOT but not erotica-explicit. There IS sexual tension but also plenty of pay-off.

message 3: by Christy (new)

Christy (christymtidwell) | 149 comments I would second Outlander - but with a warning. Gabaldon does not shy away from sexual violence in this novel. If that will either upset/bother you or simply ruin the escapist fun, you might think twice about this one.

message 4: by Kinga (new)

Kinga | 19 comments Hiya, thanks! Added to my to-read list.

I am always a bit wary about any time travelling novels
,of course not because it creates the grandfather paradox and is pretty impossible, but because I feel that the character from the 'newer' times would have to look down on the character from the older times. I also feel like the sociological differences would be impossible to overcome and that the one character would always want to go back his/her own time.

But then I am sure it being a romance novel such things are easily sorted out and everyone lives happily ever after even if somehow ends up having babies with their own great-grandfather.

So I am ok with sexual violence but not sure if I would be ok if my characters are not feeling comfortable in the time and setting of the novel.

Personally I know would really pissed off if someone sent me a few centuries back.

message 5: by Mariel (last edited Feb 23, 2011 12:41PM) (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) My Dearest Enemy This is my favorite historical. A suffragette and an awkward gentleman learn how to make it in the world without sacraficing what matters to them.

And Then He Kissed Her I liked that the lead girls in this series had to work for a living. They weren't about going to parties and finding husbands.

London's Perfect Scoundrel If you like Han Solo types of guys you will like this.

His at Night Sherry Thomas doesn't write hr like any other author I can think of. It's about perceptions.

I don't like the society stories at all.

My recs for historical.

Paranormal:
Faefever This is a series and I was completely obsessed with it.

message 6: by Janene (last edited Feb 23, 2011 04:57PM) (new)

Janene (janene_marie) | 12 comments I 3rd Outlander!

For Paranormal:

The Jeaniene Frost 'Night Huntress Books'. Sexy, sexy Vampires, Ghouls & Werewolves...lots of action, suspense, gore...and hot sex scenes.

Halfway to the Grave
One Foot in the Grave
At Grave's End
Destined for an Early Grave with Bonus Material
This Side of the Grave

message 7: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
kinga!! a little birdy told me you had an RA success story to share?? hmmmm??

message 8: by Kinga (new)

Kinga | 19 comments AHAHAHAHA.

I will murder that little birdy.

It's more like a story of my downfall

I bought a kindle and decided to buy one book to try it out. I picked 'His at Night' from Mariel's recommendation because I liked that the title.
I woke up at 9am on Saturday and started reading it.

Before I knew it, it was 4pm I was still in my pyjamas, I hadn't taken a shower and I'd only eaten chocolate.

message 9: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) Hahahaha yes!

message 10: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments chocolate!!! that is success

message 11: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
did you end up reading any other titles from the suggestions?