Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > New Author Trying to find an editor

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelique (new)

Angelique LaFontaine | 7 comments Hi everyone! My name is Angelique LaFontaine, author of Sandstone and Mirrors. I am trying to find an editor to work with me. Although, and I would never try to devalue somebody's work, I am on a budget. If anybody has any recommendations or if anybody is willing to help a new author, please contact me here or at response-from-angelique@hotmail.com

Thanks so much!!!

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 408 comments Hey there, I know a guy named Giovanni Gelatin on Goodreads that does fantastic reviews and I think he edits stuff too. Also, I don't know how long a book you have but I've done some proof reading for 2 other authors on Goodreads and I review books. If you have a PDF and it's not too long of a book I could help for really cheap, like free. Let me know if you find somebody and if there is anything else I can come up with I will keep you in mind. I wish you much luck with your book.

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) | 69 comments I've been writing for 9 years, published a number of works. I have never paid one cent for editing. I meet people, make friends. The critique and editing friends I have, have all offered to help, most of the time without me saying a word.

I truly don't mean to put anyone down, I'm just relaying my own experience.

message 4: by Angelique (last edited Feb 22, 2011 11:10AM) (new)

Angelique LaFontaine | 7 comments Hi Lily-

Thanks so much...I agree friends are the best place to start...most of mine are worst spellers than I am...so I guess I'm in a bit of a bind in that regard. Thanks so much for the advice though :)

Incidentally...your website...very cool!! And your book Eden Fell sounds very interesting...I'm going to get a copy...

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam Santo (locoduc) | 20 comments I paid for mine through the self publishing company I chose. I could only pay for one round of edits and wished I could have had more. I'm not saying it is a typing disaster, but I think a little could be done. I have since made a few friends that wish to help on the sequel. Any package I buy for the next book will already come with editing so I'm going to have the best of both worlds. Good luck finding someone.
Adam Santo

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) | 69 comments The reality is, there's no way a complete stranger through a paid service can know the way you think and your writing style, and more importantly, what you need specifically.

There are tons of critiquing and editing groups available online. That's what I mean by meeting people and making friends. Don't be fooled by the ads for paid editing. It's really not worth it and you'll be throwing away money.

Even if you do get the book published by a legit, professional publisher, you still wouldn't pay for editing.

message 7: by Angelique (new)

Angelique LaFontaine | 7 comments Steven wrote: "Hey there, I know a guy named Giovanni Gelatin on Goodreads that does fantastic reviews and I think he edits stuff too. Also, I don't know how long a book you have but I've done some proof reading ..."

Hi Steven- Thanks so much...I'll check into the gentleman that you spoke about as well. My book is about 200 pages...I have it in PDF...but I'm not sure that I would feel right about you doing it for free??

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Gottfried (westofmars) | 68 comments Angelique, look up Ramona DeFelice Long. She's a personal friend, a professional editor, and damn good. You won't encounter any of Lily's worries with her.

message 9: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 408 comments Angelique wrote: "Steven wrote: "Hey there, I know a guy named Giovanni Gelatin on Goodreads that does fantastic reviews and I think he edits stuff too. Also, I don't know how long a book you have but I've done some..."

Angelique, I hope Giovanni can help you out and you are able to get your work edited. After thinking about it you really should be careful about where you send your PDF I guess. I do a proof read for free cause I love to read. I also do it for free cause I'm not a professional proof reader, not that I don't try to do a good job but I don't feel right about charging to do it. Plus, the more authors that get published the more books I get to read...it's kind of a win win :o)
Either way I wish you luck.

message 10: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (lahilden) | 106 comments Hi Angelique,

When I was first looking for an editor I surfed the web. Many of the editors allow you to send sample pages so you can see how they edit your work. I ended up going with Michael McIrvin of Pro Writing and Editing, because he made my work better. He seems to understand what I'm trying to convey and even adds embellishments here and there. The majority of the time I love his changes. And the times that I don't, I just don't make the change. It's your book and ultimately your choice. He is not inexpensive, but he does a great job with my books. I advise you to send some sample pages out and see who fits you best. :)

Best of luck to you.

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Quinn | 3 comments Angelique,

Writing a good novel begins with a good plot, character development, protagonist arc, flow, scene development, and so forth. Before you enter the domain of actual proof reading or copy editing, make sure you don't cheat these elements of your book. Proofing is the easy part.

Best of luck.

message 12: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments Emmanuel wrote: "Indie authors should take a look at Reedsy, a community of top publishing professionals (editors, illustrators and marketers) to work with authors: https://reedsy.com/"

As an aspiring author who intends on finding an editor in the not too far distant future, I'm probably right in the middle of reedsy's target for marketing.

I've seen a bunch of posts about reedsy. It sounds good. Lots of professionals on board.

When I see post after post, especially one that revives an almost 4 year old thread, though, it makes me feel like I'm being spammed. I'm less likely to go with a company that I feel is engaging in spamming.

Just wanted to let you know how I felt. It's possible no one else feels that way.

Thanks.

Brian

message 13: by Sulaiman (new)

Sulaiman Dawood (sulayemaan) | 6 comments I'm interested in working as an editor.

Let me know.

Regards,
Sulaiman

message 14: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 154 comments Hi Angelique and everyone!

I'm an editor and work almost entirely with indie authors, taking into account their budget and the fact that they cannot afford to pay too much for their books. For a flat quote, my editing partner and I offer at least 2 rounds of full content+lines edits and proofreading, and we can even include to check your book galley if you are self-publishing.

Want to know more about us and/or get in touch? Check out our place on the Net :) https://divasatwork.wordpress.com/

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark Stone (calasade) | 53 comments If you need a great editor at an affordable price, look no farther than

Cinta Garcia

message 16: by Dameon (new)

Dameon Cox | 7 comments Brian wrote: "Emmanuel wrote: "Indie authors should take a look at Reedsy, a community of top publishing professionals (editors, illustrators and marketers) to work with authors: https://reedsy.com/"

As an aspi..."

I use John Helfers and I've found him to be honest and a great help. I feel is fees are reasonable. You can reach John at jhelfers01@gmail.com.