Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2011 Challenge Archive > 2011 March Monthly Challenge: Suggestions Thread

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 2757 comments Here is where we ask questions, discuss, and make suggestions for the challenge.

Special thanks to the members who regularly stop by at the Suggestions Thread and share their input. It definitely helped me a lot when I put together the monthly categories. Thanks, guys.

1. March: Read a book which title or authors name starts with “M”.

2. Birthday: Read a book from a March B-day celebrant’s GR bookshelf whose “day” falls on the same “day” as yours. If no one has the exact same day, then go for the closest date. (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...)

3. Geography: Read a book whose author, setting or character is from South Carolina.

4. Third Month: Read a book that is third in a series, or has three words in the title.

5. March Off to War: Read a book about war, the military or has a military character.

6. Mardi Gras: Read a book that is set in New Orleans/Louisiana, has a colorful cover (at least 3 colors) or shows a party mask.

7. St.Patrick's Day: Read a book that has a predominantly green cover or has anything related to Ireland (plot, cover, character, etc).

8. Doctor's Day: Read a book with a medical theme (plot, cover, setting) to it or a Dr. McDreamy character.

9. Of Shelves and Lists: Read a book from the first 10 pages of the contemporary romance shelf.
(http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/c...)

10. Reader's Choice

Challenge Duration: March 1 – March 31, 2011

Here's to another year of reading!

message 2: by Penney (new)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments The author of Jane's Warlord, Angela Knight, is from SC. A huge plus for me!

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments i found this one at the bookstore for SC - The Ultimate Romantic Challenge by Katherine Garbera

message 4: by D.G. (last edited Feb 22, 2011 08:48AM) (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Check the USA-South Carolina shelf in the Settings group for some books sets in SC.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

And here is the link to the Louisiana shelf:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

message 5: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments And here's a list of books that have doctors or in medical setting:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21...

message 6: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Feb 22, 2011 10:03AM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 7149 comments That's a big help - thanks! I've had both Jane's Warlord and the Burning Up anthology on my TBR shelf forever and this gives me the push that I needed to actually read one of them!

Penney wrote: "The author of Jane's Warlord, Angela Knight, is from SC. A huge plus for me!"

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 2757 comments Thanks for all the great information you guys, that is going to help out a lot.

message 8: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Feb 22, 2011 01:42PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19871 comments Penney wrote: "The author of Jane's Warlord, Angela Knight, is from SC. A huge plus for me!"

Woohoo - thanks Penney. I had Master of the Night down for the 'M'. I can now do the Sth Carolina category and read Menage as well!!

message 9: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19871 comments Thanks DG - those links are great!

message 10: by Michelle (last edited Feb 22, 2011 02:07PM) (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 670 comments How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks is free on Amazon (today only) in ebook format and Shanna is a Dentist!

message 11: by Michelle (last edited Feb 22, 2011 02:14PM) (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 670 comments Hot Blooded (Includes Carpathians, #14; Midnight Upyr, #4; Mageverse, #1) by Christine Feehan is set in South Carolina (according to Goodreads places) I recently read Here Kitty, Kitty! (Magnus Pack, #3) by Shelly Laurenston which was too!

Lots available for the New Orleans/Louisiana category - especially if you read PNR. I think this was the easiest Geography category ever :)

Larissa Ione's Demonica books could work for Medical profession. I'm using Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1) by Jennifer Rardin - it has a Plastic Surgeon... that should work?

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4260 comments Faith Hunter is a SC author also.

message 13: by Katharina (last edited Feb 22, 2011 04:22PM) (new)

Katharina | 802 comments Into The Fire takes place in New Orleans. Looking through Jessica Hall's other books I found another one. Heat of the Moment

message 14: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 700 comments Lots of the Dark Hunter series (Sherrilyn Kenyon) take place in New Orleans.

message 15: by Shellbelle (new)

Shellbelle  | 195 comments Most of the Immortals After Dark series is based in New Orleans, LA. :)

message 16: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments I need to read The Queen's Dollmaker for a challenge soon and I'd like to use it as my 3-word title. But I wondered...does the possessive 's count as an extra word in a title? I think not because it's not a contraction of is (The Queen is Dollmaker doesn't make sense) but as English is not my first language, I want a second opinion. :)

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 670 comments D.G. wrote: "I need to read The Queen's Dollmaker for a challenge soon and I'd like to use it as my 3-word title. But I wondered...does the possessive 's count as an extra word in a title? I thin..."

I would count it as 3 words.

message 18: by Penney (new)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments You're right about the lack of contraction DG, but like Michelle said, it's still a 3 word title with 'The'.

message 19: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Oh yes. I know it's at least 3-words...I just wanted to make sure it wasn't 4 if the 's was considered a separate word. :)

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 670 comments http://ebooks.carinapress.com/5733298...

Another free ebook - today only! It's a pretty cover :)

message 21: by Donna (new)

Donna | 250 comments Laura Childs Scrapbooking mysteries are set in New Orleans.

Wading Home: A Novel of New Orleans is a free kindle book

I will probably read an In Death book by J.D. Robb since Roarke is from Ireland.

message 22: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Feb 24, 2011 10:17PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19871 comments D.G. wrote: "I need to read The Queen's Dollmaker for a challenge soon and I'd like to use it as my 3-word title. But I wondered...does the possessive 's count as an extra word in a title? I thin..."

IMO you're fine to use it as a 3 word title! The possessive doesn't count as another word... :)

message 23: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (casswish) I'm in and I'll post as I go :)

message 24: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Does a re-read count?

Also, since I'm in a UF binge lately, any UF book/series to recommend that would meet this challenge?

message 25: by Say (new)

Say (say_22) | 85 comments i'm in since i probably wont be able to finish the feb challenge i still have 3 books to read....hopefully ill be able to finish this one!

message 26: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19871 comments Ritu wrote: "Does a re-read count?

Also, since I'm in a UF binge lately, any UF book/series to recommend that would meet this challenge?"

Rereads count.

Urban fantasy - Hmmm, I don't read a lot of them but I love KMMs fever series which fits the irish category. The Iron Duke should fit the soldier/war category (although I haven't yet read it). I'm sure someone near your birthday will have a Charlaine Harris book (Sookie Stackhouse books, eg Dead Until Dark) and these are based in Louisiana which fits the Mardi Gras category...

Hope this helps...

message 27: by Penney (last edited Feb 26, 2011 10:22AM) (new)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments Ritu wrote: "Does a re-read count?

Also, since I'm in a UF binge lately, any UF book/series to recommend that would meet this challenge?"

Both Magic Bites and Moon Called work for 'M' and they're both great series beginners.

The Becoming has a doctor as a main character.

I don't read a lot of UF, but I liked all of these :)

P.S. Rereads do count.

message 28: by ErinReadsTooMuch (new)

ErinReadsTooMuch | 32 comments There are a number of Nora Roberts books that come to mind if anyone is a fan of hers. The Gallaghers of Admore Trilogy both takes place in Ireland, and has 3 in the series. They are quick reads, and one of my favorite series of hers.
Then there is Carolina Moon , which takes place in South Carolina. I know she has another one that deals with New Orleans, but I can't think of it at the moment.

And one of the MacGregor books has the lead female as a Doctor. It's in the The MacGregor Brides book (hey, starts with 'M' too!).

message 29: by Juana "Darkness" (new)

Juana "Darkness" Duran | 423 comments There is also The Sign of Seven trilogy and The Circle Trilogy.

Blood Brothers (Sign of Seven, #1) by Nora Roberts The Hollow (Sign of Seven, #2) by Nora Roberts The Pagan Stone (Sign of Seven, #3) by Nora Roberts - Sign of Seven

Dance of the Gods (Circle trilogy, #2) by Nora Roberts Morrigan's Cross (Circle Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts Valley of Silence (Circle trilogy, #3) by Nora Roberts - The Circle

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 670 comments Ritu wrote: "Does a re-read count?

Kim Harrison lived in South Carolina for some time so that would count for the Geography category!

message 31: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Thanks guys. I've read Kate Daniels books. So that's out. Somehow, I haven't been able to get into her books. And Iron Duke is out for military since I've read it also =(.

Don't shoot me but I don't want to read the Sookie Stackhouse series. The first book did not impress me and I don't like the way the series is progressing!!

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4260 comments Ritu,

Immortals After Dark Series by Kresley Cole has the Valkyries based in New Orleans, so fits the Mardi Gras Q.

Authors from Sth Carolina - Angela Knight - who also has some war books like Jane's Warlord and Warlord and Mercenaries all good pnr stories.

Also Faith Hunter who has a couple of uf series.

message 33: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments For the war category, a character that fought in a war counts even if the war is in the past right?

message 34: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 1058 comments Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series is set in New Orleans. I'm planning on reading Mercy Blade for the Mardigras category.

Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2) by Faith Hunter Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3) by Faith Hunter

message 35: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4260 comments D.G. war is war!

message 36: by Juana "Darkness" (last edited Mar 20, 2011 11:25PM) (new)

Juana "Darkness" Duran | 423 comments I'm starting with:
1. Letter M: Marked by C.P. Cast 3/11/11

2. Birthday: Nicole- Avalon High by Meg Cabot 3/7/11

3. Geography: The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd 3/5/11

4. Third Month: Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris 3/8/11

5. March off to war: Red Cap by Clifton G. Wisler 3/21/11

6. Mardi Gras: Night Play by Sherilyn Kenyon 3/8/11

7. St. Patrick's Day: The Secret Scroll by Lynne Ewing 3/13/11

8. Doctor's Day: Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward 3/18/11

9. Of shelfs + List: It had to be you by Elizabeth Susan Phillips 3/6/11

10. Reader's Choice: Vision in White by Nora Robert 3/16/11

Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast Avalon High by Meg Cabot The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris Red Cap by G. Clifton Wisler Night Play (Dark-Hunter, #5) (Were-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon The Secret Scroll (Daughters of the Moon, #4) by Lynne Ewing Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips Vision in White (Bride Quartet, #1) by Nora Roberts

ALL DONE! YEY!

message 37: by Judithe (last edited Mar 06, 2011 04:23PM) (new)

Judithe | 392 comments Finished the book last night, and question answered!! (Yes)

For "5. March Off to War: Read a book about war, the military or has a military character, " would Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins work?

message 38: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 2757 comments Definitely war, I just finished that last month or I would count it for war also.

message 39: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Does Iron King by Julia Kagawa count for war? I've wanting to start this series and being a liiitttle bit anal, I don't (can't) read any other book before finishing the challenge books.

message 40: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Sandra, thanks for heads up. I've added them to the list!

message 41: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4260 comments :)

message 42: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 2757 comments Autumn, I think you have the wrong thread - this is the March Suggestions.

message 43: by Autumn (new)

Autumn   (sweetdenial) | 1471 comments Debbie ~ ☾ ~ wrote: "Autumn, I think you have the wrong thread - this is the March Suggestions."

Yup, i had noticed! sorry guys! ^_^

message 44: by Julianna (last edited Mar 24, 2011 07:48PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1723 comments I just read Tucker's Claim by Sarah McCarty. The heroine is a nurse and as skilled as any doctor in the old west. Her medical practice isn't the theme of the book, but it does play an important role. Would this still work for #8?

message 45: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 2757 comments Sure, medical person (doctor, nurse) works for me :)
Was it a good book?

message 46: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1723 comments Awesome! Thanks, Debbie. Yes, it was a good book. I really enjoyed.:-)