Amazon Kindle discussion

Considering a kindle, some advice needed!

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I am seriously considering a Kindle in the hope it gets me back reading again.

My question is though is the WiFi only version fine, or do I need 3G as well and what cover have you got for yours, does it include a light?

Any suggestions, hints and tips, welcome!

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 82 comments The 3g is nice if you travel and do not want to track down a wi-fi hotspot. I find the wifi version works fine for me there has only been 1 or or 2 times I have wished for the 3G.

I use an M-edge executive case and their add in light. I would strongly avoid the amazon case as it can cause random reboots.

I have had mine 5 months now and can not imagine going back to buying DTBs.

message 3: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 4 comments LOVE my Kindle! Was best birthday present DH ever got me. I've had mine 5 months as well and still buy DTBs but only those "Keepers".

message 4: by Rick (new)

Rick (tallybucsfan) | 21 comments I debated on the 3G before I purchased my Kindle. I elected to save the $50 and get the wi-fi only version and have been quite satisfied with my choice. I can not think of a time when I wish I had the 3G. Of course, your circumstances may vary. But for me, the 3G is unnecessary.

Initially I did not get a case because I didn't want to add bulk. But I found I was handling my Kindle like fine china. So I purchased a relatively cheap case, but one with good reviews, and have been quite happy with it. (It was the CrazyOnDigital case for $18.98. The only drawback is that, yes, it covers the back button. But it really doesn't impact my use of it.)

Good luck in your decision process! Keep us posted.

message 5: by Orbs n Rings (new)

Orbs n Rings (autumnbluesreviews) | 33 comments I received the deluxe from my hubby for Christmas and have not purchased any covers or lights yet. There is a Flex stand Book Stand I do want to get for it. It is made by M-Edge. I also am considering purchasing one of their covers although I cannot decide. There are so many choice. Below is the link of you want to check them out. Amazon sells their products however they have less of a selection.
http://www.medgestore.com/products/ki...

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (wckdktty) I saved money and bought the Kindle 2 with Wi-Fi and agree if you aren't in a rural area its great.

I bought a cheap leather cover only because I have a 2 yr old who was constantly getting finger prints on it and the back of the Kindle got cold in the winter.

I do love the light I bought at Target. Its an ereader light that adjusts to various widths, but its wide so that you don't get a single white dot on the screen and darkness around it. Since I read a lot at night and did not want to keep hubby up it was nice to get the light.

message 7: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) I have the 3G version, and it's convenient, but not necessary, I don't think. Unless you don't have access to convenient wifi. I do like being able to look something up on Wikipedia or buy a book instantly even if I'm on the train or something. I do have to remember to turn off the Whispernet so I don't drain the battery!

I don't have a cover for my Kindle (I do have a vinyl "armor" that I bought on Etsy) but I have a light, the Kandle. It's compact and convenient.

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahtx) | 6 comments I have the 2nd gen Kindle and it has 3G - I'm considering the new Kindle, but I would definitely get the 3G model. I read a lot in the car and I've bought and sampled numerous books when wi-fi wasn't available. I don't like the idea of having to have wi-fi to get books - it would mean more planning ahead and knowing if you're close to finishing a book and wanting to buy the next one. I also have the Kindle app on my iPhone and my books sync automatically. I think the extra $50 is worth it for the flexibility.

One of my favorite features is book samples - I love being able to read the beginning of the book before I decide to buy it!

I have a leather Cole Haan cover that I love and a light that you slide between the kindle and the cover. If I'm reading in the pool or tub I use a gallon ziploc bag!

message 9: by Tish (last edited Feb 22, 2011 12:52PM) (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 30 comments If you don't have WiFi get a 3G because if you don't have WiFi internet and you've got the Wifi only device you have to do a USB transfer. Though if you understand computers enough that's not really an issue.

I have the 3G because I'm at school or at work a lot and connecting to their secured wifi is a hassle. Especially my school's wifi. You have to have a certificate downloaded and blah blah blah. My mom has the Wifi only version and that's perfect for her since we have wifi and I manage the wifi network so it's not a problem if something goes wrong.

As far as cases I have a case made by JAVOedge. It's red plaid but I'm thinking about buying this one now:

http://www.amazon.com/JAVOedge-Fleur-...

They also have the cases that fold like books. I'm just thinking about buying the one with the stand because it'd be nice for when I'm at work. I like the JAVOedge cases because they hold the Kindle in really securely. I had a M-Edge one but i didn't like the corner straps and the case made it annoying to charge my Kindle. I also have a skin on mine for when I'm not using the case. More because I love personalizing my Kindle than because I felt I needed one.

message 10: by Betsy (new)

Betsy I have a Kindle 1, so all I've got is 3G (or is it 2G?). However, I'm thinking about upgrading to a newer version. And I wonder, with WiFi, do you have to worry about finding a secure connection, logging in securely, etc.

There are all kinds of free, open WiFi connections near my condo, but they're not secure. I certainly wouldn't connect to them with my computer or my phone, but I don't know if it's an issue with a Kindle.

message 11: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments I've got the 3G K3. If you're a traveler, get the 3G. It's nice to always have a book download available; and sometimes knowing you've always got an internet connection, even if its a tenuous one, can be a relief.

I've been a Kindler since the product's inception, so I've tried lots of cases and skins. My favorite for the K3 is the one offered by Amazon that comes with the light built in. It's a bit pricy, but worth it if you read in the dark as much as I do.

Good luck making your decision!

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments I've been a Kindler for a little over a year, first with the K2 and now have a K3. Mine is WiFi only. If you spend most of your time at home, the WiFi is fine. I can understand people who travel a lot would want the 3G. But the way I look at it, I have about 350 books on my Kindle, when am I going to be away from home and need a book to read??

I have the Amazon lighted cover and it's terrific. So sleek and attractive, the light illuminates the entire screen, and it gets it's power from the Kindle, so no batteries. I highly recommend it.

message 13: by Lahni (new)

Lahni I have the K3 wireless only. I too wanted to save the $$ and bought books with it! :) Plus I have an iPhone with the kindle app so I can use that if I have too. It hasn't been a problem for me. I have lots of books on my kindle ready to go. I have a cover I love that I bought through oberon design. I think their covers are beautiful. I don't have a light and haven't missed it, but again I can read on my phone if I need to.

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Thank you to everyone for your comments. I have now printed it all off and am going through it! It has been a great help! May just set myself the challenge of reading at least half of my paper books before I get one. That really isn't alot! But then again, birthday is soon! LOL! Thanks again!

message 15: by Sinuhe (last edited Feb 23, 2011 12:27PM) (new)

Sinuhe (dubyte) | 21 comments Hello Sharon. I am living in my current city since 4 years ago, so almost all my books are in the deparment of my parents in Ciudad de Mexico.

So In the last chrismas when I receive my kindle It really increse the time i spend reading.

I have read 10 books in a month.

More than the past 4 years.

I really thought that the 3g dont worth the spent of 50 dollars.

but now in perspective. I think the 3g is a good option. Now I want that version.

but as other person comment. The 3g is not necesary but is great for download freebies, samples and in my case comment about muy reading in twitter an facebook when you are not close of a wifi hotspot. In my case my wife drive so I read when she is driving. Then I highligh something that is interesting and when i press share (twitter/facebook) I remember that I cant because i choose the wifi version :(

I don't have 3g in my phone. But Now I think in a month I will get an android phone, and the model i want to buy is one that can share the 3g via wifi to 4 devices and guess what one of this device would be my kindle.

Obviusly the 3g from amazon is free. And there is coverage over the world.(many places)

But at the end is your decision. But 3g is a nice feature. I think you wont be desapointed.

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber Adamchuk (celticstorm76) I started with the K2 a few years ago and it had the wispernet. When I switched to the K3 I went with the wifi version and have not missed the wispernet (3G) at all. There is wifi available in so many places now a days and if I fear there will not be, I stock it up in advance with books. I have had my K3 since May of last year, and I have had the Amazon lighted case just as long w/no issues I love the light that slides away into the case with no balk no hassle.

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I see alot of people have mentioned the light that slides back into the cover, I am assuming it is the Amazon cover that retails for about £50? It gets it power source from the Kindle. Does this affect the Kindle battery life noticeably?

message 18: by Weenie (new)

Weenie | 55 comments I opted for the Kindle cover without the light - whilst handy to have the light, I didn't think there would be many opportunities for me to use it to justify the extra expenditure. I did however go for the 3G version of the Kindle, only because of the worldwide coverage.

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Weenie wrote: "I opted for the Kindle cover without the light - whilst handy to have the light, I didn't think there would be many opportunities for me to use it to justify the extra expenditure. I did however go..."

I mainly read in bed, and so I need the light, so as not to disturb DH!!!! So I am thinking of getting the Tuff Luv cover with the M-edge light! And I am now seriously considering 3g version because of the worldwide coverage, but also even if I can't find Wifi locally I still have 3g available to me!

I notice with my iTouch not always having Wifi I don't tend to use it outside my house!

message 20: by Anita (new)

Anita I received the K3 in November, and I too opted for just wifi, saving me $$ and I have had no problems. I have so many free, low cost books loaded on it I'll never be without something to read!! I also have an iPhone and I can use it to download a book to the Kindle app if I need it. I do most of my browsing and shopping on my computer and just buy and it's sent to my Kindle.
I have the M-edge cover and light, the light has a separate battery. It's nice for reading in bed, in the car etc. I chose a fun red leather cover, it has a tab to close it, it's so convenient and easy to hold.

message 21: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments Sharon wrote: "I see alot of people have mentioned the light that slides back into the cover, I am assuming it is the Amazon cover that retails for about £50? It gets it power source from the Kindle. Does this ..."

I use my light all the time and yes, it tends to drain the battery quicker. I end up recharging every two to three weeks on the average.

message 22: by Annie (new)

Annie | 9 comments I got the 3g because I wanted a white kindle... :)

message 23: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett I have a first gen Kindle DX, which is Sprint 3G only. I've been debating whether or not to upgrade to a Kindle 3 or not. Thought I would want the larger screen, but it turns out to be not necessary, especially now that vise got an iPad. However, it didn't even occur to me to not get the 3G version. I do a lot of traveling and being able to access whisper sync to pick up where I left off if I was on another device is incredibly convenient

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen Bought the first one, then the DX and now the newest version, which is small and really easier to use. Why not go for the most recent? I use the DX at home and keep the cover from Amazon on at all times, bigger screen, more chance to scratch or break. I just haul the little one around with nothing covering it and don't have a problem. I gave my first one to my ten-year-old grandson. You will not only read more, but more than one at a time! Good luck!

message 25: by stormhawk (last edited Mar 23, 2011 01:43PM) (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I'm a K1, KDXG, and K3wifi owner also. I also keep the DX at home, leave it in my bed, no cover, although I have a Timbuk2 sleeve for it it case I take it out on the town with me. I mainly use my K3 with an Oberon cover, keep it in my (Timbuk2) messenger bag. My K1 is mainly an "in case of reading emergency" device, I've been considering offering it to my sister.

I am very happy with the K3wifi as I have wifi at home and work, and I figure I can always jump into a Starbucks or Burger King if I have a reading emergency and have to download something right away.

I also use Kindle for Blackberry and Mobipocket Reader (because I haven't been able to get Kindle for BB to recognize files that it hasn't downloaded itself).

message 26: by Loren (new)

Loren | 40 comments I have a K2 I love its 3G in that I can sync my book from anywhere and as such my phone kindle is fine and ready whenever I pick that up next and go. It's a personal preference even surrounded by wi-fi network to be able to buy and sync without worrying about finding and logging into a network. In certain locations and with the prevalence of locked networks (like at the airport), its definitely worth it.

I have toyed with upgrading to a K3 for a while but decided in the end not to spend the extra money. if your buying it for the first time go for the K3, only use the DX if you really want a bigger book to read. Its harder to carry around though. Cover wise amazon makes good ones but I love M-Edge, bought a brown one to distinguish my K2 from the others in the house and its been a great one ever since. No trouble

message 27: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Thank you everyone for continuing to post.

I played with a Kindle in my local Tesco yesterday and it was all I could do to stop myself whipping out my credit card and buying it!

I am restraining as I do want it for my birthday and I actually want to open it on my birthday, so till hanging in there!

I have been reading loads on my iTouch app and bought even more books, I am sure it is addictive!

So my mind is made up and I shall be getting the 3G version with the Hot Pink lighted Amazon cover.

Just 8 weeks left to wait. Hmmm when put like that I may just get it beforehand, LOL!

message 28: by Weenie (new)

Weenie | 55 comments Why not buy the Kindle now and then treat yourself to some (more) books for your birthday! :-)

message 29: by Loren (new)

Loren | 40 comments Or at the very least download kindle for your computer/smart phone/tablet and start reading ;-)

message 30: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Weenie, good idea, but I wanted my DH to buy me the Kindle! LOL!

Loren, I have the Kindle app on my iTouch, Blackberry and Netbook that I am currently using.

It has been a good test for me to make sure I do actually use it! LOL!

message 31: by Irene (new)

Irene I have the 3g but if I had access to wireless at home I'd have got the cheaper version without it. I don't have a light for mine because I do most of my reading in bed next to my bedside lamp.
I use an M Edge cover

message 32: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Sharon, I got the Kindle 3 with 3G and a lit cover. It is so wonderful. You will be happy. I am sure!

message 33: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Chrissie wrote: "Sharon, I got the Kindle 3 with 3G and a lit cover. It is so wonderful. You will be happy. I am sure!"

Thanks Chrissie. I am sure I will be, it is just if I can hold off actually buying it myself! That I am finding hard!

message 34: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Sharon, well, you can dream about it for a while, until you have it in your hands..... I actually started dreaming about ordering books and pushing buttons. You know how crazy dreams can be!

message 35: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Sharon, I have the hot pink Amazon lighted cover. Love it! You have more will power than I do, I don't know how you make yourself wait.

message 36: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 24 comments You cannot beat 3G for impulse buying - you have been warned! ;)

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen But it stems my impulse buying for useless things!