The Sword and Laser discussion

Sword & Citadel (The Book of the New Sun #3-4)
This topic is about Sword & Citadel
2011 Reads > S&C: Staged Spoilers?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments I'm seeing a lot of threads in the Shadow & Claw forum about spoilers, and have been avoiding all the threads. But, I'd like to be a part of the discussion. Unfortunately, I have no idea how fast I'm reading compared to the spoilers, so am petrified of going in...

Is there a way to specify either in the first post of a thread or (better yet) in the thread title itself what "section" (pages/chapters) it's spoiling? Thoughts?

Jared (jaredforshey) | 32 comments That's a pretty good idea, although it's still really no guarantee that the ensuing discussion doesn't spoil even more. Practically I've found it very difficult to engage in any discussions until I've finished the book, just because a lot of the responses will take the form of "well, a hundred pages later you'll see that..."

message 3: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
That's a great idea, terpkristin.

In the You've Got Science Fiction in my Fantasy thread, I encouraged people to put the book and chapter they were discussing at the top of each post, and that discussion mostly moves forward chronologically, so it's pretty safe to navigate.

For the other threads I've started with spoilers, I'll change the titles to reflect what part the first post talks about.

Warning, though - many things are circled back to in the later books, so it's inevitable that spoilers from later will (and already have) come up as those threads continue.

So maybe we can encourage people to give a book/chapter warning when referencing things later in the books, like in the thread linked above?

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1680 comments Mod
I'm having the exact same problem. I haven't been in any of these threads since the books started for that very reason (and I was even scared to click on this one!).

It seems like we're all more afraid of spoilers in this book than others, do you think there's a reason for that?

message 5: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments Those suggestions are great, Josh. If we can try to do that, at least it minimizes the chances for spoilerage. :)

I agree with Veronica, it seems we're more spoiler-averse in this book than with others. I know I am. I'm not sure exactly why. I think that for me, this book has been on my "to read" list for a long time, and I know there are a lot of people who are experts or this isn't their first read. So, on the one hand, I like the guidance, but on the other, I've been looking forward to it for so long, I don't want the build-up spoiled.

message 6: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (last edited Feb 22, 2011 10:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Yeah, I've even been spoiled (by things I didn't remember) by the direction some threads I've started already went in, so I know this feeling!

I think puzzling things out for themselves is a way some people enjoy Book of the New Sun, so that's why spoilers in this case can feel even more spoilery than usual.

OK, I've added book/chapter notes to my spoiler threads (besides the one linked above), but a warning of "the thread might end up going farther than that" still applies. But if people try to label spoiler replies with book/chapter notes too, that'll definitely help.

message 7: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments Yeah, sorry, i've been vomiting up spoilers like no tomorrow. I was excited i actually made it through the book.

message 8: by Larry (new) - added it

Larry (lomifeh) | 88 comments Well this is one of those books that lends itself to not only heavy analysis but also perceptions change as the book continues. It's a mark of his writing style I think that what you think early on can change as things happen. It's something about his writing that makes it so you want to as Jlawrence mentioned you want to figure it out as you go.

A lot happens on multiple levels in this book and I recall on my first reading thinking one thing that changed as the book proceeded. I still need to read the second set of books but the little I know about them changes some stuff even further.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2859 comments I do the same thing and wait until I'm finished, but then I think I miss out on some of the discussion!

message 10: by aldenoneil (last edited Feb 23, 2011 01:01PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Bring on the spoilers. They're too difficult to avoid, and trying to do so can drive one nuts. I knew all about a certain someone dying in the first book of a certain fantasy epic, and it didn't affect me none. I know the whole story of Star Wars, and I still watch it.

I know there's that whole thing about coming to a story with fresh eyes and being surprised by it, but that'll still happen. I can't possibly encounter spoilers about everything I read. I say, "Roll with it." A sometimes-spoiled life is sweeter.