Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Natural/Humorous Monsters

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martin (last edited Feb 22, 2011 06:44AM) (new)

Martin (mafrid) | 23 comments I've just finished watching the first two seasons of Being Human (GB-version) and it got me thinking about the eating behavior of werewolf/vampire. So here's my question to you; are there any good books about this, from a character perspective.

As an example I wouldn't mind reading about a (fairly new) vampire/werewolf that is squeamish about his/her diet. The best examples I could think about was one of Lynsay Sands's books where the female vampire fainted at the sight of blood. I'm not overly fond of mushy PNR, so if you suggest PNR to me at least make sure that it's grisly enough.
Also the first book that I read, which involved werewolfes Ursula's Gift had a male character that was turned werewolf, but couldn't get over the whole thing about eating raw meat.
What I'm getting at is that more vampires and werewolfes should have a thing about their food, but it's not something that I've seen that much about in print. I just don't get the 'Twilight'-thing of vampires not eating/drinking at all and I don't like when the author chickens out and have the vampires living of bags of blood.
Do you have any good suggestions of any anorectic/bulimic or just generally messed up (food-wise) vampire characters?

Secondly are there any humorous books that plays with the natural behavior of the monster. I guess this would mainly affect werewolf, but alternatives are welcome.
So are there any parodies where the werewolf finds it very difficult not to chase the neighbors cat up a tree or going stir-crazy when at a tennis match.
The best example I could think of was an episode of 'Dark Angel' where Jessica Alba's character Max has been genetically modified by splicing animal DNA into her human DNA and the feline part of her is in 'heat'. The episode is ridiculous, but not ridiculous enough to be funny, so are there any books that does it better?

So in short what I'm looking for are good books where the human monsters has to an interesting internal struggle between the human and monster.

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments It's been a while since I read it, but I think you should take a look at Peter David's Howling Mad. It's about a wolf who gets bitten by a werewolf who becomes a man for two days a month. There might be a sequel...

Laura (Kyahgirl) (kyahgirl) hmm, well, in the Mercy Thompson books, Mercy often has thoughts from two perpectives, that of her coyote self (Yay! rabbit!) and her human self (why do I want to eat raw rabbit?)

In Molly Harper's books (nice girls don't have fangs) I think the heroine was pretty squigged out about drinking blood. Its been awhile since I read that series but its really funny and worth the read.

I've read so many monster books in the last couple of years. they kind of run together but the two I mentioned were memorable :-)

message 4: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) ... you might try A Lee Martinez's work. Gil's All Fright Diner was more on the humorous side. I think it was a ghost and a vampire as the main protagonists.

message 5: by Shiloh (new)

Shiloh (mementomordi) Lonely Werewolf Girl

Kalix, the main character (a werewolf) will not eat in her human form and lives for an entire month on nothing but the food she eats as a werewolf and her inner werewolf's desire to live. She also tries to retch any food that she does eat as a werewolf, I'm not it's excactly what you looking for, but it's a very good book and worth a read

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments JK wrote: "... you might try A Lee Martinez's work. Gil's All Fright Diner was more on the humorous side. I think it was a ghost and a vampire as the main protagonists."

I second this suggestion. This book is a riot. The main stars are Earl, a vampire "with an overbite, a large nose, and a ridiculously unsuccessful comb-over" and his friend Duke, who is a werewolf with a "monstrous gut" that he "barely managed to squeeze behind the steering wheel" of their rusty grey pickup truck. They work together to fight zombies raised by a jailbait sorceress and become friends with an amorous ghost. There is so much more in here that will have you laughing out loud, even with it being a bit R-rated.

message 7: by Martin (new)

Martin (mafrid) | 23 comments @Julia: Howling Mad sounds interesting and Peter David seems to have worked with a lot that I'm familiar with, even if I haven't read anything by him before. The availability however doesn't look that good from where I am.

@Laura: Patricia Briggs is a long time favorite and Mercedes has somewhat of a issue of what she eats as a coyote, but I'm more looking at the more gory stuff where someone is more or less forced to live on the stuff.
I stumbled upon Molly Harper only a few days ago (when How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf ad landed in my mailbox - don't ask me why), but it sounded very much like PNR, with the emphasis on the 'R' and I have a sense that what I'm looking for should be more introvert.

@JK & Joseph: I'll try Gil's All Fright Diner, as if nothing else it sounds like it might be a fun read. I also noticed that A Lee Martinez seems to have write more of the same, so if one is good them perhaps the rest will be good as well. The style seems to be close to what I found in Ursula's Gift.

@Kaitlin: It is already on my to-read list, but I'll move it up a notch after haven gotten your recommendation and seeing several reviewers talking about the story being both gross and compelling. As a current Dexter reader - how could I resist that?!

Thanks for all the tips and please keep them coming, as I still haven't found precisely what I had in mind.
Perhaps what I'm looking for is the vampire/werewolf version of the Nicky Heath character in Mike Carey's books. If you haven't read them, Nicky is a germaphobic/hypochondric zombie who lives in a self-built freezer to avoid decomposition and except payment in rare wines, which he off-course can only through smell, but alas the story isn't told from his perspective.

message 8: by Candy (new)

Candy | 26 comments Have you read Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series. she is a skinwalker and has to leave out raw meat to eat every time she shifts. Then when she shifts back she has to go eat again. Also she argues with her inner beast about stuff like eating a dog and other funny stuff.

message 9: by Candy (new)

Candy | 26 comments Oh also Richelle Mead's Succubus series. The main character is a succubus and to survive she has to suck the life energy out of people and she is always in a dilemma about who to do that from because it shortens the persons life.

message 10: by Martin (new)

Martin (mafrid) | 23 comments Thanks Candy. They are both on my to-read list, but I'll move them higher up on the list.