The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations & Voting > October nominations.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 15, 2008 04:38AM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
So last year for October we selected The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and quickly added Wicked. It was one of the best discussion months we've had! So I was thinking, why don't we do a theme month again this time around?

I know for certain there are quite a few books that keep the theme... including Stiff (loosely), The Devil in White City, Sybil, Complete Poe, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (sort of), and of course, Frankenstein. I'm thinking, though, that we should not limit the nomination from the list to modern in favor of the theme, but that we should try to get one of each (modern and classic) in the scary genre because it is so fascinating to compare that way.

So, nominate two pairs of books, at least one being from the original WB booklist. Voting will begin on the 22nd.

Have fun!

message 2: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 15, 2008 01:48PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
1. Frankenstein and
2. Dracula

1. The Lottery: And Other Stories by Shirley Jackson and
2. The Shining*

*Jackson is said to have been a huge influence on King, and he dedicated "Firestarter" to her.

message 3: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Oooh, I was just thinking about nominating that first pair, Alison!

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments 1. Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
2. On Writing Stephen King

Thought it would be interesting to read a scary book and then read how a scary book is written.

1. Frankenstein
2. World War Z

Even though Frankenstein is not a zombie.. he does seem to act like one so I thought these would be good to read together.

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments Well, initially I thought of recommending Ann Coulter's latest book as our non-Rory scary read, but instead I am going for a little non-traditional scary with:

1. The Lottery: And Other Stories by Shirley Jackson.

2. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

message 6: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeymporter) | 26 comments 1. The Lottery: And Other Stories by Shirley Jackson
2. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.

1. Complete Works of Poe
2. The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson

message 7: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Joey: You picked two that I wanted to get in there so badly! (The Turn of the Screw and The Haunting of Hill House).

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments Courtney.. that was hilarious!

message 9: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments LOL, Courtney!

message 10: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeymporter) | 26 comments Alison: I've never read "The Turn of the Screw", but thought it might be a good fit. I've read "The Haunting of Hill House" and liked it, but now need a refresher.

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 50 comments Ooh, I've really wanted to read Stiff, and maybe it will work well with some of the physical aspects of back from the dead. And then, easier for those of us who don't dig the "scary" so much.

1. Stiff
2. Frankenstein

All suspense, all the time:

1. Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe
2. The Ruins

message 12: by GraceAnne (new)

GraceAnne Tremain | 31 comments Scary in a different way (witch hunts):

1. The Crucible - Arthur Miller
2. In the Devil's Snare: The Salem Withcraft Crisis of 1692 - Mary Beth Norton

My other choice:

1. Frankenstein - Mary Shelly
2. Turn of the Screw - Henry James

message 13: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

GraceAnne, I'm so sorry, but your first pairing doesn't have a selection from the original WB list... check our bookshelf and try again.

message 14: by GraceAnne (new)

GraceAnne Tremain | 31 comments Oops, sorry. I chose from the classics list. I will try to think of something else.

Thanks

message 16: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Time to vote!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.